Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: I am sorry to see this happen

Sage
laffcarl

If only Elop and his multi millionaire buddies over @ Microsoft had pumped some cash and lent some of their programmers towards evolving symbian^3(ie actually helped out) I think everybody would be happy.

But to leap from one abandoned(burning ship) to another ship that has no oars or rudder(but looks twinkly) and is smouldering ominoiusly below decks is just plain madness. I for one will be happy to divert my hard earnt cash away from the old great Finnish firm(now defunct- you could say Finnished!) and to give it to the koreans(Samsung) who are, and show quietly, the most innovation and produce quality goods.

All nokia seem to have now is a marketing machine selling rubbish...I'm sorry but thats the way I see it, and I can see right through it no matter how good they tell me it is!

Goodbye Nokia... (As Jim Morrison once sung) "We had some good times but they're Gone"

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

laffcarl

I feel for you and hope that you will find a better place and you get your piece of mind....

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

laffcarl - Agree, but Nokia's "actions" recently don't mesh with their "message"  The message is pathetic to those who enjoy their current phones, but nothing negative seems to have actually happened yet (and those who don't enjoy their current phones may see this as an good thing).

"Actions speak louder than words."

I'm currently following Nokia, HTC, and Samsung, in that order.  Maybe Nokia's official policy is just a marketing tool, and Symbian will eventually be resurrected much as PC Suite has been?  There's always hope.  The M$ phones might look like fancy toys to some of us, but maybe that's because a lot of people really DO want to buy a fancy toy phone. 

As to "actions", Nokia did come out with Anna, and should shortly release Belle, so life is still going on despite the dire warnings...     :-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

lMaybe Nokia's official policy is just a marketing tool, and Symbian will eventually be resurrected much as PC Suite has been?

Symbian will not be resurrected, or reborn.

How has PC Suite been resurrected? Or have you mistaken the renaming of Ovi Suite to Nokia Suite as a resurrection of the old PC Suite codeline? If so, it isn't.

Please use plain text.
Sage

This story may take years to play out. IIRC Symbian will be supported to 2014 or 2016. Then....? I believe the entire code base has been put to open source, so it is possible another company will take up the mantle. Not so sure though. HP took over Palm and WebOS and they can't do anything with either.

What I will miss most about Nokia phones are their design. All OS interfaces have their plusses and minuses. I just thought Nokia's design was so far superior to other companies. Even now, my phone gets looks because it is not a Me-Too phone. Of course, that's part of Nokia's problem. No sales to speak of in the US.

The future of Symbian is cloudy at best. The future of Nokia is similarly cloudy. Nokia is fighting three battles simultaneously.

1. Competing Against Androind
  2. Competing Against IOS
  3. Competing for the continued love of its existing customer base

It is entirely unclear how or if any of these will resolve in Nokia's favor.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aomo1819

I thought I should put down my vies as well. this are the reasons I wont be getting the the Nokia 800 or 710.

1. i absolutely hate the list view in the app menu of windows

2. every sync is dependent on zune

3. inability to assign ringtones to different function e.g. u cant set diff tones for sms,mms.e-mail,chat e.t.c.

4. cant use songs from the music files as ringtones.

5. no file manager

6.no usb transfer.

7. no bluetooth transfer between devices ( i cant send pictures songs documents from one phone to another.

simply speaking its just not up to par with my current E7 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

You  are so right I like you also will not be getting a lumia as my current phone a c7 does loads more than a lumia even though its more than a year old .I really do not understand Nokia wp7 sucks ,the top 3 bad points for me are no USB data transfer no nfc **bleep** Bluetooth capabilities and one more you have to use zune.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Part of the success of the iPhone and other i- products is consumers overwhelmingly positive feeling about Apple. Their consumers pay top $$$ repeatedly with little discount to buy their latest stuff. People line up for days to be among the first to purchase something. In short, people who buy Apple love Apple, and that number grows every day.

Google is also well-liked (good Q score in broadcasting terms), and it's brand is ubiquitous too. People who choose Android phones may pick different hardware, but the platform is Google. It's identifiable, popular, and because Google is liked, successful beyond belief.

(I don't have enough knowledge of RIM or its OS, but it's hardware is still number one for business.)

Microsoft, on the otherhand, is not nearly as well liked in the public. No one sits outside a store for days to be the first to buy a phone with WOS. 

And no one sits outside Nokia World to be the first in to see the new products. Nokia had poor success with retail stores in the US and closed some. No one camps out to see them..

Apple's success is in part brandbuilding over decades, AND they control the OS.Nokia had controled the OS, Symbian, but not anymore. Will they be able to get traction again? Selling to Asia alone won't be enough to get it back.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

'petrib', you wrote:

How has PC Suite been resurrected? Or have you mistaken the renaming of Ovi Suite to Nokia Suite as a resurrection of the old PC Suite codeline? If so, it isn't.

I went to the newest N8 software download page last week, and found links to BOTH the newly renamed Nokia Suite, *and* a new version of PC Suite which seems to be compatible with the N8. 

Unless someone has changed their mind and it's no longer there, you can download it and see for yourself!

As to people here not wanting to buy the new M$ phones, that's no big deal.  For those of us who enjoy Symbian, M$ wasn't designed to replace what we like, it was designed for the hoped-for masses of people who probably never heard the word "Symbian", and couldn't care less.  Nokia has, and hopefully will continue to have, choices that fit a wide range of people and their different wants/needs in a phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heraldo

I've been a Nokia user since 1996, and of course the mobile phone landscape has changed radically since then, mobile phones becoming personal computers. Based on that I'll never buy a Nokia with Windows on it, simply because i want customization and free software on my device, which Microsoft has banned from their store: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/windows-phone-gpl-ban http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/02/windows-phone-marketplace-bans-the-gpl-and-the-app-sto...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Microsoft has not banned free apps per se (i.e., the developer does not need to charge for the apps in Microsoft's Marketplace), but they're excluding some of the key free software license types.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heraldo

petrib wrote:

Microsoft has not banned free apps per se (i.e., the developer does not need to charge for the apps in Microsoft's Marketplace), but they're excluding some of the key free software license types.

I wrote "free software", not to be confused with freeware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

"Agree.. But no to laggy, "i want battery", need 2Ghz to run smooth and "virus is close" android OS.." What a b...t! Who told you that? The market share of Droid is growing like crazy, so you - you and a person who tought you about 2 ghz - are the only two persons on Earth who believe in that mess. In addition, Droid tablets are rising, and this is the new world - a world without Symbian and other fossil relics.:-)
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Hey, some times those "fossil relics" are better than what replaces them.

Most of the time, yes, but sometimes very definitely not.

You find this out when you start using them, and find out what they can do, and how long they last.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I've just got mine and I love it. User friendly wonderful design - how can anyone fault this phone. Set it up seemlessly.

WELL DONE NOKIA - YOU'RE MY FAVOURITE!

I also have ip4, ip4s and partner has htc radar and it beats the lot ...

Please use plain text.
Sage

For people who are Nokia devotees, the switch, if ever, to M$ phone will be problematic. For those who have already used M$ phones or those who favor Microsoft, in general, may give Nokia a try. I just keep wondering if, someday, Microsoft will just buy Nokia for its patents -- like Google did with Motorola. Not sure if patriciaanne3 was a Nokia user previously. Nokia may be willing to risk rolling over its customer base.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I'v.e been a nokia fan for many years and have also liked the first windows phones. I 've owned many of both. I welcome the amalgamation. Symbian is still a wonderful os as well

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
eaglehelang

[ Edited ]

patriciaanne3 wrote:

I've just got mine and I love it. User friendly wonderful design - how can anyone fault this phone. Set it up seemlessly.

WELL DONE NOKIA - YOU'RE MY FAVOURITE!

I also have ip4, ip4s and partner has htc radar and it beats the lot ...

That's cos you havent tried the N9, same design.  I'll take the N9 anytime(and has) over a WP7 phone. I'm also a Nokia E series user. Nokia will lose this long time customer if it solely uses WP7 in future, like the others said - no USB on the go or even USB mass storage, no SD card slot, over dependency on Zune

Please use plain text.
Advisor
quovardis

I have been a long time nokia fan, I have tried other brands and always came back to Nokia. But for the first time since I had my first mobile phone, I am tempted to move to a different brand. I have had my lumia 800 for 2 days now and I have never been so disapointed in a phone before. I had an n900 before this and In my opinion that is a damn sight better phone. With the lumia Nokia seem to have taken a step back into the late 90's early 2000's with just the basic features, i.e. dat transfer between nokia models, ringtones etc. Experience the amazing everyday the website says about this phone, I don't have disapointment every day in my life Nokia. Please Nokia release the N9 in the UK.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Carchathoth

[ Edited ]

milic wrote:

I am not sorry, but do feel a bit perplexed. I just bought the N9 recently as it launched in my local market a couple weeks ago. I am new to smartphones and not savvy about them. So it was mainly the appearance and the unique swipe function that sold me. However after making my purchase, I went home and did some googling to learn about my new N9 and better understand its potential. Instead I ended up discovering and being distracted learning that my phone has a fairly new o/s that ironically looks like it is already on its way out. There may not end up being much apps for this, etc. Had I known that similar hardware was already in the pipeline to be launched just some weeks later with Windows o/s instead, I probably would of waited for that instead.

Be proud with your new excellent phone. N9 is a very good phone and will serve you well. Not everyone has those devices, like not every other and his cousing has Mercedes Benz either.

Check out this superior ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaOnVago88g

(One of the best phone adds ever made)

Please use plain text.