Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

I'd like to be clarified on a few matters regardin...

Contributor
hujan86

I'd like to be clarified on a few matters regarding Windows Phone 8 and Lumia devices before committing to an actual purchase.

- Is it possible to set passwords to prevent unauthorized in-app purchases or simply disable the function?

- Is it possible to monitor or set quota/limit to data usage or prepaid credits on daily/weekly/monthly basis?

- Can WP8 on Nokia Lumia devices be updated Over-the-Air?

- Can WP8 multitask 3rd-party apps? I think WP7 was virus-proof thanks to it being unable to multitask.

- Can WP8 block 3rd-party apps from executing malicious behavior e.g. reading device ID, system logs, access contact lists, system files, etc.

- Does IE10 support data compression in network connection to speed up browsing and save data cost?

- Can WP8 list Missed Calls, Outgoing & incoming Calls, numbers of Received & Sent SMS separately?

- Can I block/blacklist a specific Contact or phone number from calling/sms me in WP8?

- Is Lumia 920's battery irremovable? If so, how to replace the battery if it is somehow damaged?

- Can Lumia 820 use batteries of higher capacity than 1650mAh?

- Can Lumia/WP8 devices automatically halt further charging after battery is 100% full?

- How much free space in Lumia 920's internal storage?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Re: I'd like to be clarified on a few matters regarding Windows Phone 8 and Lumia devices before committing to an actual purchase.

Hi there mate,

1. I would think so, there is a function where you can set your credit/debit card in the Wallet, and everytime a paid purhcase is made you have to use a PIN number
2. That would depend on your network carrier, as such the Data Sense feature is dependent on carrier and only working in the USA at moment.
3. Yes they can, they come in the form of either Microsoft updates, or Nokia updates, or app updates themselves.
4. Yes it can
5. Yes it is thoroughly scanned before being made available on the Store
6. No it does not, but there is Nokia Xpress over at Nokia BetaLabs that does this function that you can try
7. Yes it does list missed calls, outgoing and incoming calls separately for each instance of the call (not group it under each contact/number). Numbers of sent and received SMS are not available, not sure if they will be in future (Nokia Counters did this function but that was for Windows Phone 7.5 devices only)
8. Not natively, but there may be a third-party app in the Store for this
9. Yes, if it is damaged, contact your local Nokia Care for repair information. Woudn't change it myself due to risk of damage / voiding warranty
10. Possibly, but for now the official capacity is 1650mAh and that does last quite a while due to the frugal use of power inherent in Windows Phone 8.
11. Yes of course, every phone does this, it switches off the current.
12. 29.12GB total space, of which system takes up 1.94GB, the rest is free.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: I'd like to be clarified on a few matters regarding Windows Phone 8 and Lumia devices before committing to an actual purchase.

8. Do not think any such application yet .. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

8. Access to the call API is restricted to OEMs, so such app would have to come from Nokia.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.