Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive bu...

Contributor
neuralzone

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

I tried to leave a link, but the forum entry was deleted.  The youtube video is "Nokia Lumia 900 Disassembly & Assembly" Published on Jul 17, 2012 by LE55ONS.  Very detailed and complete.

nobox

Nokia care tell me to perform factory reset first ::smileytongue:

moat of the time, my Microsoft tellme will Launch when my soft keyboard is on.
The problem is intermittent. Maybe it is a combination of hardware and software issue.

I will send in my set next week. After i wipe out my office stuff from the phone. Fail for Microsoft and Nokia.
Registered Member
jiamnesiac

[ Edited ]

Blademax wrote:
Credit goes to trevstokes for this.

Just FYI. This isn't a hardware or software issue, it's a Bad design issue.
This is 100% all caused by the magnetism of the stupid speaker touching too close to the back of the capacitive buttons.
If you remove and separate the LCD screen from the speaker (youtube how to disassemble) and try playing music and using the buttons while the LCD screen is away from the speaker magnet, this stuck capacitive button and random button activation WON'T happen at all. Just Need find something to shield between the Capacitive button back side and speaker magnet and this problem will be gone.

It's like i have a brand new phone now. Works flawless so far. No more having to put up with this problem.

Nokia should really fire the ones involved in deciding to place capacitive button so close the speaker magnet. This problem is probably the # 1 cause of Nokia 900 user NOT able to show off Nokia's phone to friends/family, and bad word of mouth of Nokia being unreliable in hardware. I'm sure many shy away already from considering Nokia because of this problem plaguing the Nokia 900.
All due to they not properly shielding the lcd screen from the magnet of the speaker...doesn't help that they don't know how to fix and won't admit to this being a known issue. Careless

Anyways...No contacting phone carrier for replacement, no clueless repair attempts from Nokia, no run around excuse of "being looked into". All are BS for a simple problem with simple fix.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

My phone has been having the same issue and I was about to return it to Nokia. Glad I checked this discussion one last time before I did. Opened up my Lumia and sure enough the issue was gone when the screen was lifed away from the body.

I added a slim strip of foil right under the capacitive buttons, closed her back up and :smileyvery-happy: all is well. The company I work for just so happens to sell foil with adhesive on the back so I'll replace the regular foil once I'm sure it works 100%.

Many thanks Blademax. Makes you wonder if Nokia is doing the same thing to the ones sent back for repair.

nobox

Hi, I got back my Lumia 900. I am not sure what they did but I am not getting the issue so far.

One visible change to my interface is that the 'diamond' icon near my battery icon at the top of my screen is gone.

Initially I thought that 'diamond' icon is there because I turn on location service. But now it is not there even when my location service is on.

Just to share. Thanks for reading. Cheers.
nobox

Oh problem persist, when I used MS One note on my Lumia 900. The whole device seems to slow down and MS Tellme pop up when i press on the virtual keyboard.

Mr_Ed

Hi everyone.

I just registered to let you know that I founn this thread super useful, and that I finally fixed this problem on my own phone.

Someone asked what could be used as shielding, to put in between the capacitive buttons and the speaker. I used two layers of plastic from hard drive pouches. Those are made specifically for shielding sensitive equipment, and are really thin, perfect for fitting there.

Et voila, my phone works beautifully now. I can play, hear music, and text, without my buttons pressing automatically.

I write this in hope others find it usefull, as I know the frustration in dealing with this.

Mr.Ed

Registered Member
mmangus

I am having the same exact problem on my Lumia 900 Black. I guess I'll try and exchange it. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

iceman198

So, can I just use a piece of aluminum foil?  Or does it have to be some sort of special magnet shiled?  If so, where can I pick some up?

Thanks guys!

str33tprintz

Yes regular foil paper will work. Just did this in 10 minutes. All you need is :

Foil Paper     (1 thin sheet cut to block just the capacitive buttons )
Paper Clip    (to remove sim and screen lock rod)

Butter knife   (to pry open right side of screen)

- I didnt even fully remove the screen, I opened it just enough to slide in foil paper.

DONE. Everyone with this issue should do this. Works like a charm. Thanks again Blademax.

iceman198

That did the trick for me! Can't replicate the issue at all now! Thanks guys! Just used a piece of regular aluminum foil from the kitchen.
chinlj

After multiple trips to Nokia care and have my Lumia 900 repaired and exchanged, now I'm having this issue as well!
They fix one issue and give me back another. Great!
Registered Member
Hanstrider

i am also having the same issue, i have had 3 different handsets and they all do the exact same thing. its very annoying, problem is i LOVE this phone, i just want it to work right.

Registered Member
tksoxfan

I've also had the same issue with my phone.

There are days/times when anything I do gets constantly interrupted by the Bing search screen.

I agree with other posters:  I like all other aspects of the phone, but I can't stand this "bug".

I've called AT&T support several times and have been connected to Nokia support at least twice.  Every support person acts like they have never heard of the issue before.  About a month ago AT&T sent me a brand new phone, and within 1 day I was having the same issue.  Very frustrating how poorly Nokia and AT&T have responded to this issue.  There is a virtual army of people who would love to tout this phone as the best new device, but instead, I walk around embarrassed to have this as a phone...

Blademax

Glad it worked.
Been nearly 2 months since I last did this and no problems at all.

Good to know that just aluminum foil will do. Seems like just as long as the speaker isn't physically touching the back of the LCD, any thin non-magnetized material will work.

Hope others have luck getting rid of this problem. I'm really itching for the Nokia 920 upgrade but man...hope 920 doesn't suffer this type of ridiculous problem. Guess have to wait and see.
partymarty

So I have to open my phone and place a piece of plastic into my phone? Its bad enough I have to consistently scream "cancel" @ my phone to get away from the voice command ( btw my co- workers think I'm crazy), now I have to manually ghetto rig my phone for it to work properly?
Nokia, get your act together. I blame you, at&tt wireless "experts", and all the websites that praised and promoted this poor excuse for a phone that's supposed to compete in the wireless market. I should of gone android or iPhone like everyone was telling me to. Thanks for the inconvenience!
Registered Member
fullcollapse

partymarty wrote:
So I have to open my phone and place a piece of plastic into my phone? Its bad enough I have to consistently scream "cancel" @ my phone to get away from the voice command ( btw my co- workers think I'm crazy), now I have to manually ghetto rig my phone for it to work properly?
Nokia, get your act together. I blame you, at&tt wireless "experts", and all the websites that praised and promoted this poor excuse for a phone that's supposed to compete in the wireless market. I should of gone android or iPhone like everyone was telling me to. Thanks for the inconvenience!

Exactly! I have been without my phone for the past week while it's at Nokia. The good news is I will have it back this week. The bad news is they couldn't find anything wrong!! :cursing: There is no way Nokia is unaware of this problem.

I have always supported Nokia and couldn't wait for this phone to be released. Now I am completely done with Nokia.

espeonix

[ Edited ]

Can someone please either type out a very detailed description on how to fix this issue or possibly make a video for it? I watched the disassembly video but I'm not very savvy with what parts are which. I'd really like for this issue to be fixed because I love my phone but this is kinda taking the fun out of it. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not messing up something else in the phone :smileysad:

Registered Member
elaa1310

i have had the same problems in my lumia 900 for 3 or 4 days now and for the most part its a great phone! However randomly the capacitive windows, back, and search buttons are extremely sensitive & then followed by insensitivity.

Most of my problems involve the wp7 voice command prompt -which requires a hold of the windows button. I get this prompt sporadically without holding the windows button and when I am touching nowhere near the capacitive buttons. I see this especially in apps (such as Max & the magic paintbrush, also in wp7 maps). Not sure if this is a phone issue or an app issue. After the prompt comes up, about 80% of the time the capacitive buttons are extremely insensitive and I have to repeatedly tap the back or windows button area to get out of the prompt.... sometimes it seems like I have to tap way off of the back or windows button to get out of it (on the display).
Can any one tell how to rectify it

Anyone else have this problem? or do I have a defective unit?
chinlj

Just play any music or even ringtone through the speaker, and press either home or back button to demonstrate it behaves differently. Nokia will either fix it or get u a replacement unit.
Advisor
CRFale

Currently I don't believe that anyone that has sent their phone in for repairs or replacement has had the issue with the touch buttons fixed. A few of the members of this forum have determined a fix for the issue but from what I have read Nokia has yet to impliment something similar to fix the issue so that means people are still having the issue when they get their phones back or a new phone.

Basically, what causes the issue is that there is interference from the speaker magnet that causes the buttons to be unresponsive or act on their own. This issue can be fixed very simply by opening up the phone and placing something that will shield the button area from the magnetic interference (ie; tin foil).

I used to have the issue everytime I watched a video, played a game or even just surfing online. I applied this fix last night an have not had the issue once since then and I watched a couple hours of video, sat through an hour long conference call which I also sent texts during, and played online.

Having this problem fixed makes it feel like a new phone and so much more responsive! I will give it a few more days of testing and then I will be putting together a video, an instructable and an email into Nokia support so hopefully everyone can get this issue fixed!

If you have any questions about this please feel free to message me!