Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive button...

daviddlt

Re: Issue with nokia lumia 900 touch capacitive buttons

Tweet Nokia care US, they were willing to swap out my device for a new one. We have to bring this to Nokia's attention.
daviddlt

You still have your 1yr w Nokia, contact Nokia care or tweet Nokia care US about the issue. I paid full price for mine and had the issue day 2...not happy at all. They were willing to help out.
daviddlt

Even w all the issues I miss my device, back to iPhone 4 for now but not the same. I will provide a day by day update on the repair and let you all know what happens. Nokia care US stated that If tr issue reoccurred **bleep** the repair, they will send me a new Lumia 900 in exchange. Like the service but boy is it a hassle mailing,testing, mailing, waiting...
Advisor
bgutmeir

here is the response i got from Nokia Care US:
"@###### have shared your information with appropriate team who are looking into."
Registered Member
HAOS

Still waiting on a Fix for this.  It is incredibly annoying.

Advisor
bgutmeir

if its hardware im completely screwed. i just switched to at&t and have no backup gsm phone to use while nokia sends me another. has this ever happened to anyone else? what do i do?

also, any updates on this issue? i like to have my music playing constantly and this issue is standing in the way of probably 80% of my phone usage.
humayunl

I have an interesting observation related to this issue.

Up till now everyone (including myself) reported and thought that it happens mostly when music is playing from the speaker, but I noticed today that it also happens almost just as consistently in loud noisy environments. So if the environment is loud, regardless of whether the phone is playing loud music, it will happen. 

I was walking alongside a highway with lots of carz whizzing by and it was pretty loud and it kept on happening....

Hope this helps resolve this issue. Its extremely annoying and makes the phone unusable too frequently.

treiz

[ Edited ]

If you need a spare phone you can go into best buy and pick up a cheap 10-$20 att prepaid to use as a back up. You can keep it as a spare or return it after your new phone arrives. You will need to either get a new full sized SIM from an ATT store or you can get a spacer that will adapt your micro-SIM to the spare phone's slot.

As for me my 900 is having the same issues when ever I play a video or media through the speaker. 

Lumia 920 Red
Advisor
bgutmeir

thanks for the reply, treiz. thats pretty unfortunate though that i might have to do all that when its not even my fault. hope that's not the case..
Counsellor
purpletatoe

[ Edited ]

@bgutmeir

Have you tried using headphones? The problem should not happen when using headphones.

Counsellor
Breaker119

Agreed there @purpletatoe - problem is non-existent when using headphones. Obviously not a solution, but to me it does prove that it is related to the speaker. I found the comment on the roadside noise very telling too.
Advisor
bgutmeir

yeah, there is no problem with headphones but i dont often use headphones so that's not much of a solution for me, sadly
humayunl

[ Edited ]

Anyone from Nokia Care with an update? This is a pretty significant useability issue and the window of exchange/return is approaching fast for me - please provide some sort of an update on what's being done about this issue.

Has the cause for this issue been isolated / identified? Has it been determined if it is a hardware or software issue? 

Registered Member
MrBojangles82

Has the Nokia team been able to at least reproduce this issue? I'm sure that for many of us experiencing the issue, at least that would give some assurance that this is something being seriously looked into.

I'm reluctant to take mine in for an exchange when it seems that many others who have done so have had the problem re-appear in short order.

If the resolution of the issue is proving to be complex, why not put out an interim software update that at least provides a temporary workaround, such as a setting to require a longer press and hold for the capacitive keys, more aggressive debounce detection in the key driver, etc.

The longer this issue goes unresolved, the longer I have to hesitate to recommend this otherwise beautiful device to others to buy.

Counsellor
purpletatoe

I think the majority of people who exchanged their phones have resolved their problem (I being one of them).

To avoid taking home a faulty replacement phone, you can test the replacement in store before going home (as someone posted above did).  An easy way to check for the problem is to play a youtube video over wifi (since this does not require the phone to be activated -no sim required)... play some system sounds, and then go back to the youtube video and play it repeatedly.  If at any time the touch keys become unresponsive or trigger history view or voice command then get another replacement phone.

I've had my phone for a few weeks now without any problems.  The lack of early posters returns to the board after they said they were getting a replacement suggests their problem was fixed by exchange as well.

Counsellor
Breaker119

My return did not resolve the problem. Today is my last day in the return period...I may try to go get my third to see if the problem gets resolved.
Counsellor
purpletatoe

[ Edited ]

i think you should.  I really do not see how a software update could fix this.  I think it is a hardware defect.  I would not chance it that Nokia will do anything special for you after your 30day period is up (besides the normal 1-year warranty).

-actually maybe I shouldn't be giving out such advice.  But... If i were in your situation I would exchange it. 

Counsellor
Breaker119

looks like I was at 32 days - so no exchange. Oh well I'll hang onto it and see what patches get released. If nothing else I can exchange it through the 1 year warranty.

By far, though, I am still happy with the device.
daviddlt

I have yet to receive my device, it was sent last week to Nokia repair and received Thursday. Last status says that it is in repair center. I emailed nokia asking how long will it take to get it fixed or have a new one sent, depending on this experience I'll recommend the device or not, at my company we test phones and recommend to our sales people. I had it for only a day and it become unusable. I'll post an update when It becomes available.
Advisor
bgutmeir

[ Edited ]

im sorry but this is getting silly now. i've had this phone since launch, have had this problem since launch, and still no official word as to whether its hw or sw. im getting a replacement, even though my 30 days are up. ive still got insurance and sometimes things happen