Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 800 AVI files support

prowla

Lumia 800 AVI files support

I've seen it advertised that the Lumia 800 supports AVI files, but I'm not able to transfer them to the phone.

I'm not that familiiar with the Zune software but I can transfer wmv files.

Does the Lumia 800 support AVI files, if so how do I get them onto my phone?

If not is this likely in the future with the OS, or are there any applications that would help?

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi prowla,

Welcome to the Nokia Discussion Boards and thanks for posting!

Windows Phone supports these video formats for playback:

3GPP formats (H.263), ASF, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, VC-1, WMV 9

AVI in itself is not a video format, it can contain a number of types of encoded video. You can choose to convert your videos to a suitable format or use a streaming service like Plex to access your video collection on your home PC.

Hope this helped, let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Professor

Easiest thing to do is

create a .bat file (.txt file, just renamed to .bat) and put this in there

for %%a in ("*.avi") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "%%~na.mp4"
pause

now download

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg

put the ffmpeg.exe file in the same folder as the bat file.
put your avi files in the same folder and double click the bat file.

it will change your avi files into mp4 files that should play on your lumia. It doesn't convert them, just changes the container so it shouldn't take too long
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi mkr10001,

That would work for mp4 encoded files in an AVI container yes, but other formats might not play as they cannot be decoded on the Lumia.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Professor

Majority of avi files out there are h.264 or mpeg4 soo it should work for most avi files