Having waited patiently for EE/Orange in the UK to come up with the 7.8 update for my Lumia 800, there was great rejoicing when Zune finaly showed it as available - then gloom as the update only gets so far before throwing up an 80180048 Error Code. I've tried a hard reset but still the same problem, and also tried it on a different PC (both Windows 7). Any suggestions please?
Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum.
Provided the error code, you can try these troubleshooting steps for us to resolve the issue. Before we begin, please see IMPORTANT NOTES.
• DO NOT use the Windows Phone Support Tool if your phone's operating system (OS) version is 7.0.7390.0 or higher.
Note: To find out which version of the operating system your phone has: On Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings > About > More info. Look for the number next to "OS version".
• Zune software version 4.8 or later versions are required for the latest version of the Windows Phone Support Tool.
To determine which version you have, open the Zune software on your computer and then click: Settings (top of screen) > Software (upper-left corner) > General (left column) > About Zune. Look for the number next to "Version".
The following steps show how to download the Windows Support Tool and use it to resolve your installation issues.
1. Begin by reinstalling the Zune software. To automatically remove and replace your Zune software, a Fix It tool is available:
You may be able to resolve this problem automatically. Click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in this wizard.
• This wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
• If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD so that you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
2. You may have to update your computer:
a. Visit the following Microsoft website: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate
b. If you have not previously done this, click to "opt in" for Microsoft Updates.
c. Click Check for updates.
3. Unplug the USB cable from the phone.
4. Download the Windows Phone Support Tool from the Microsoft Download Center:
• If you have a 32-bit system, download the WPSupportToolv2-x86.msi package.
• If you have a 64-bit system, download the WPSupportToolv2-amd64.msi package.
Note: If you're not sure whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system, read the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
827218 How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system.
5. Complete the online steps to install the Windows Phone Support Tool.
6. When you're finished, click Start, point to All Programs, and then from the list of programs, click Windows Phone Support Tool.
7. Restart your phone: Press and hold the Power button until you see Slide down to power off, then flick down. After it’s off, press the Power button again to turn on your phone again.
8. As soon as the phone turns on, press and hold the Camera button until the connect-to-PC screen appears (shown at the end of this step). It may take a few moments for this to appear. As soon as the screen appears, release the Camera button .
9. Reconnect your phone by using the USB cable that was included with your phone. Your phone will be detected by your computer and the Zune software may automatically start. This process frequently takes several minutes.
Important: If the Zune software DOES start, close the program.
10. In the Windows Phone Support Tool, click the Recover button.
11. The Windows Phone Support Tool will install an update that fixes the problem and restarts your phone. If your phone is locked, enter your password when you are prompted.
Note: If you receive an error after you click the Recover button, repeat steps 1-4 to make sure that you have the most recent versions of the Windows Phone Support Tool and the Zune software before trying again.
12. When you see "The device has been updated" text, located at the bottom of the screen, close the Windows Phone Support Tool and disconnect your phone.
13.Reconnect your phone to the computer by using the USB cable included with your phone and install the latest Windows Phone update. To do this, click Settings, Phone, and then Update.
If the steps in this article did not resolve the issue, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more troubleshooting information:
2484484 Installing and troubleshooting problems during the software update for Windows Phone
Hope these information help.