Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 800 not charging, totally dead

KevClynes
Accepted Solution

Lumia 800 not charging, totally dead

Hi all,

I've been loving the Lumia 800 since I got it bar a few problems getting it turn on, but this one takes the cake. Last night I was using my phone before I went to sleep and the battery died so I put it to one side. This morning I go to charge the phone and I'm getting very very little response from the phone. Once I plug the charger in the phone vibrates twice, although the second time it appears to be getting 'cut off.' At no point is anything visible on the screen.

Tried to use the laptop and I get the USB connection sound from my PC, however it then plays the 'removed USB device' sound and there's no indication the phone's connected.

The only technique that gets any kind of response is the 'soft reset', holding the power button and bottom volume button for 10 seconds which gets my carrier's logo up on screen before it quickly dies.

As this is my only phone I'm getting rather stressed about this. I really do need my phone in the week. Would you guys suggest I take it to one of my carrier's shop or try and go through Nokia themselves?

So dissapointed because it's my favourite phone I've ever owned, and now it's useless and causing me a lot of undue stress. Any help would be appreicated.

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Lumia 800 not charging, totally dead

@KevClynes

Sorry to hear of your woes but no clues as to how long Lumia been in your possession; there is usually a defined period for rejecting device as "not fit for purpose" and network more likely to be helpful with "contract" phone rather than "PAYG".

Unfortunately via Nokia themselves is unlikely to resolve situation within rapid timescale as not like returning an 'iPhone".

Presume you have already seen this thread and tried all various permutations of charging device?/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

KevClynes

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying aspergerguy, I've had the phone for just over a month, but yeah I was thinking if I can't get it going by tonight I'm gonna have to take it into a store first thing tomorrow. So frustrating that's it been working mostly fine, I'm sure if I hadn't let the battery completely deplete yesterday I'd be using it now.

EDIT: One thing I have noticed is when plugging the phone into the laptop after the laptop's been off is that Windows will be searching for Qualcomm drivers, this has me slighty worried that my phone's firmware or software has been corrupted somehow. I'm loathe to do a hard reset because I'd lose all my numbers but it looks like I'm running out of options.

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

KevClynes wrote:

Thanks for replying aspergerguy, I've had the phone for just over a month, but yeah I was thinking if I can't get it going by tonight I'm gonna have to take it into a store first thing tomorrow. I'm loathe to do a hard reset because I'd lose all my numbers but it looks like I'm running out of options.

@KevClynes

Obviously you would want to delete all user data before returning the device, so you might have to bite the bullet in this respect unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Contributor
garethnesss

[ Edited ]

it might be worth trying the, somewhat embarassing, fix that i've read for this issue in the past?

Plug it in to charge, then hold the phone tightly or place it on a warm (not stupendously hot) heater. I've read this sometimes gave the battery enough juice to kick-start it's charging process.

Some people have had to hold onto it for 10 minutes or so to make a difference. 

Worth a shot, just dont put it on an 80'c radiator.

The phone will show some life once it starts charging, and should turn itself back on after it's charged up past 25% I believe. So there's no need to try and force it to turn on.

davepermen

After trying everything (and even getting a full hard reset working, damn) I put it onto the radiator, and it started INSTANTLY.

it got winter here (switzerland) and very cold. the phone shut down 3 times during that cold, and after the third time did not boot (well, rebooted while charging repeatedly) for hours and hours. i tried everything. onto the radiator and instantly, it booted.

there's something VERY wrong here. very very wrong.
Sage
Maijay

Had the Lumia 800 for just coming up to 2 months and during that period I've had a quite a few times where I plug in the charger but the phone doesn't react for anything upto 2 hours - there is however a battery image with a red bar at the bottom.

Contacted Nokia support;

reason it happens is the battery is totally drained and the solution to kick start the phone into action is to remove the charger after 4-5 seconds and plug it back in again. Now the phone is usable while being charged.

The guy also mentioned another patch this month to further assist with battery life as well as add other features. He did initially say it was about 10days but someone in the background told him not to confirm or discuss it any further.

Registered Member
joycejim

Sorry this is posted as a "reply" -- I can't find out how you post something completely new.  Here's my experience...

I too am in love with my Windows Lumia 800.  Battery doesn't last nearly as long as I'd have liked but I can live with that.   Now, less than two months on, I too got the battery depleted picture (thin red line) and the phone wouldn't charge OR switch on.  Thanks for advice about plugging/unplugging.  That worked, but it's quite alarming I have to say.  Come on Nokia.  Fix this.    

Mobile Sensei
carman58

Another way to spark life back into a 'dead' Lumia is to plug into a PC with Zune running for half an hour or so and it will start to charge again, don't know why, but apparently the data transfer gets things working again !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Registered Member
jackspratUK

Maijay wrote:

Had the Lumia 800 for just coming up to 2 months and during that period I've had a quite a few times where I plug in the charger but the phone doesn't react for anything upto 2 hours - there is however a battery image with a red bar at the bottom.

Contacted Nokia support;

reason it happens is the battery is totally drained and the solution to kick start the phone into action is to remove the charger after 4-5 seconds and plug it back in again. Now the phone is usable while being charged.

Had this exact problem, and your solution worked a treat. Thanks!

Registered Member
scottmorrall

Right annoying little problem, had it a couple of times where the battery dies and all i get is an empty battery icon on the screen.  the way i get it to work again is by warming the phone up, either next to my skin or putting something warm on top of it, then either by pluging into my laptop or the normal phone charge.

Stupid phone, the batter as been poor (er) since the update a few back.

Contributor
fosnl

All of the solutions mentioned above did not work.

Phone is dead - not even a red battery in the screen, no vibration when pluggin in, nothing

And - yes the adapter is ok, charges my older htc hd2 just fine

What to try now?

Mobile Guru
93tid

fosnl wrote:

All of the solutions mentioned above did not work.

Phone is dead - not even a red battery in the screen, no vibration when pluggin in, nothing

And - yes the adapter is ok, charges my older htc hd2 just fine

What to try now?

Nokia Care Point ?

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi fosnl,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

First of all have Zune running on your PC and connect the Lumia to the PC. If this does not start the Lumia try a reset by pressing volume down and power together until you get a vibration, then release power and after 10 seconds release volume. You should get another vibration and after this either the Lumia starts or you press power until vibrate to start. This reset will not remove any data.

If the Lumia still does not start please visit a Nokia Care Point for further assistance.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Registered Member
eneri

whewww! thanks to you it really helps me a lot with my drained battery. I was charging it for more than an hour and can´t see any sign of life to my phone and starting to freak out. I decided to search and came across with your blog. 10 seconds and got it! Vibration is there!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks a million time......... My Nokia LUmia 800 is back to LIFE!!!!! Love you    kosh ....... :smileyhappy:  your my saviour!

Dharmz

Hello All

I wonder if any one can help with my Lumia 800. Here's what happened:

I was initiating a call and the lumia restart and ask for all my setting again (factory restore) after which the phone stopped working and turned off.

Now the phone wont turn on until the power cord is plugged into it.

Each time i powers on, the battery bar appears in red and then the Nokia label is shown and stys on this screen.

I have tried holing the power and volume down button (10second) to turn it off and then on again but the same occurs.

Any ideas or help would be greatly apppreciated?

Thanks!

Registered Member
mchmiel

I have the same case... unfortunatelly the NOKIA sign stays on - my new charger is for 100% mulfunctioning I am trying to use the HTCs. Can sombody explain how brand new phone can act this WAY ... NOKIA support You should react on this matter ... how it is  possible?

Registered Member
bonassi

ye hi mate have the same problem with my lumia 800 tried warming it and it goes to the point where it says windows phone and makes the critically low sound then cuts off any help??

Registered Member
DoctorFro

Thanks Kosh, solved my problem.

Tried Zune option, but did nothing.  But then did the holding of buttons you described (whilst still connected to a usb of pc running zune) and did the trick.

Thanks. 

BTW, Nokia you should probably be serious about fixing this with a firmware patch if possible, because if it was my someone like my parents they would probably just declare it dead, send it back and then buy an iphone... just sayin'

andersonicholas

I have a LUMIA 800 and the phone went dead - In November 2012 I turned the phone off and plugged in the Nokia charger to charge the phone overnight. When I plugged in the charger the phone came to life and an alram rang three times and then the phone went dead. I took it in to the shop where I bought it under the 2 year guarantee. The authorized repair company just called me and told me that I have to pay EUR200 for the repair because there is a mechanical fault with the screen and that is not covered by the warranty!

I have not dropped the phone nor have I handled the phone in any bad way. It has been in the Nokia leather flap case. The´screen and all exterior parts are in perfrct condition. I bought the phone in February 2012. I did crack the screen while on holiday and this was repaired at my expense for EUR 208 in Sweden where I work. A new Lumia 800 costs EUR 279 in Stockmanns Helsinki today. I do not accept that I am responsible for faulty phone.That they expect me to pay EUR 200 for a new screen for a phone that cost me EUR359 origianll and now costs EUR 274 is totally crazy. This is the last time I buy a Nokia!