Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 800 poor battery life

Counsellor
AndehX

What you said, sounds a little silly.  How can a rubber case affect the battery life?  At this stage though, Im willing to try anything to find out the true cause of the problem.  So after I've tested the diagnostic thing, I will try without the rubber case on my phone and see if it makes a difference.

Contributor
pemell

The casing could make the battery temperature slight warmer but that doesn't have such an affect on battery drain.

It sure is something else, something that many of us experience.
Counsellor
SH4RKY

[ Edited ]

If I leave it locked, it still only discharges at about 1-2% an hour.

Used it a lot more friday and saturday than i usually do in the week and i was still getting 24 hours life.

And to confirm, i still have everything on all the time. 3g, data, wifi, syncing, xbox, location, etc etc.

(o2, cyan, 11501)

Edit:  oh and i have the case on :smileyhappy: 

Counsellor
IMNdi

It is possible for A case to affect battery life by changing shape and RF response of the device. It is not possible for THE case Nokia delivered to do that, they checked the material before shipping it to a lot of phones. Also, not by that much.

Some noname case dropping standby from 4 days by one hour or two, yes. 12 hours standby? Not unless it has metal in it.

Anyway, I'm typing this again for the people with high drain:

* is 3G on, or was it on this session, since last boot? If so, it is bugged, turn it off. Reboot.

* is capacity low? Try a forced reboot (hold power 8 seconds). If that doesn't fix it, discharge and charge fully (leave on charger 2 hours after full charge). Still not fixed? While still on charger and fully charged, reboot (normally).

* capacity ok but drain high? Test. Uninstall and reinstall Diagnostic, make sure it has the Advanced battery entry, that's the latest. Go to brightness, set it to manual, low. Give it a minute to settle down. Drain should stabilize at about 140, ideally lower, on the standard batter screen, not advanced. If it keeps high for over a minute, it is likely some software is stuck, disable daemons in settings page. I assume you have dark theme. If you don't, look sad and say d'oh.

Still have issues? Check battery capacity after at least one battery cycle. Check drain, average, settled. Come back armed with above and ask again. You will likely be asked to try a full reset (lose game progress, SMS, etc). And then return. Do report back, your experience could be important.

Sage
kinaton

I cant find "disable daemons in settings page" in the setting page.. where are they?

Battery Capacity 3021.  Last charge 4 hours. remaining 20%

Voltage 4.29

Sage
kinaton

All thoe who have battery issues, are you getting low signal. As I said in previous post we get 0-1 level, when brought out of standby its 3-4.

My friend brought his lumia round, so we swapped sims, charged 100%, installed same apps and ran same config..

My sim in his phone got a full 5 signal, his sim in my phone got 0-1.  So this is a phone issue!

Counsellor
Erazor84

my phone has a 12hour standby time with a 4-5 signal bar...so this is not the problem :/
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

I tried everything I could find to improve battery life, to no end.  I found that if you balance on your left toe whilst pointing both arms skywards and sing 'Stairway to Heaven, backwards, that I got no more battery life than before. Dissapointing. /s

On a happy note, I have now sold my Lumia 800 to someone else who will, undoubtedly, pick up where I left off. Poor chap.

If Nokia want my custom back, the only thing that will pursuade me to look again would be industry leading battery life and a stable / well developed & fully functional OS.  In the future I hope Nokia spreads it OS platforms as I really can't see WP devices being the saviour that Elop is needing them to be.

Good luck to everyone, I hope the Lumia 800 gets some good future updates.

Sage
kinaton

Well on my 3rd recharge today.. 

Full Charge Capacity now says "1198"

On full charge the time remaining should effectively say "330 hours / 14 days" then drop once you use the phone :smileywink:

Sage
kinaton

and you can prove that this isn't the issue. (Nokia in the past had issues with misreading signal which was causing phones to flick between Cells causing a battery drain).

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
pemell

Okey. Here are some numbers. We like numbers, as they don't lie or making things up.

Before factory reset my Current (Discharging) was around 180.

After factory reset it finds itself around 140.

I've tried with and without wifi, with and without data connection, both before and after the factory reset.

I guess it's like IMNdi mentioned. Some application got stuck and caused the battery drain.
I'm going to reinstall my apps I had before and after each installation check the battery drain to see wich application is causing it.

A good OS shouldn't encounter problems like this. Nokia and Microsoft needs to work on the stability. The Lumia 800 AND the OS has a great potential but still lacks on several functions and stability.
Counsellor
IMNdi

kinaton wrote:

I cant find "disable daemons in settings page" in the setting page.. where are they?

Voltage 4.29

Settings. Swipe right. Bam.

Your issue, however, is obvious. You have a full battery at 4.29 volts, but the driver thinks it is much larger, so it will kill the phone very soon. Capacity should be between 1300 and 1450. If it thinks it has 3000, then at your 80% it will think you are down to 30.

Let the battery die. Try to power the phone. If it goes on, let it die again. Once dead, charge fully and, once charged, reboot it while still in charger (see above). That should recalibrate battery.

To the rest of posters: sorry, posting from phone, so I'll skip nicknames.

Swapping sims and problem staying means it's not the SIM, does not necessarily point to phone. Could be apps, hardware revision, botched flash (has happened before, at least one user reported that Nokia's flash solved issues Zune flash didn't.

Signal isn't refreshed with phone locked, it is normal to get oddball jumps. Unless there is a way to track activity, we're never going to get it. Still, may i remind you that a lot of people, me included, had issues with full bars. I am in an urban area, smack right in the middle of an European capital. I am constantly covered by loads of towers. Also, had other phones before. Poor coverage would have shown.

@pemell

Use reinstaller. It's an app that retrieves your install list from Microsoft and allows quick reinstallation, custom. That saves loads of time.

Install what is needed only, and remember what you did. The issue nay resurface. Then again it may not, mine is fine if I leave 3G off.

Hard reset clears app settings, which could mean that some app fluked, maybe because its upgrade, maybe because the OSs'. The amount of people with old software, upgraded via zune with issues is greater than people with no Zune upgrade.

A widespread app, like Facebook, Whatsapp, games, weather or the like may go nuts if the OS is upgraded under it. If it were the OS itself, we would all have issues. I, for one, am fine and I have the first batch, upgraded via Zune. But I don't use many apps that were popular. Single Weather app, no Facebook, no Whatsapp, etc

One last thing. This is NOT an OS issue. If it were, all WP phones would have it. This is Nokia only, specifically Lumia 800. It is, very likely, a driver issue. So please, for the sake of correctness, leave Microsoft alone.

Nokia should have taken an interest in this, they have returned phones with the issue. If they cared, it would have been done.

Capacity issue is obviously a poor calibration code. It was poor before, got fixed, partially, declared fixed. I hope they are bluffing.

3G is also a Lumia issue, mostly. As above, issues are not cross-phone, so they should get to fixing. Heck, maybe they did, maybe the next update will be better.

They already fixed some battery issues, some more issues, abd are working on camera and stuff. Maybe they'll do the 3G, too. If not, there are options.

Sage
kinaton

[ Edited ]

kinaton wrote:

Voltage 4.29

Settings. Swipe right. Bam.

Yoi said £disable daemons in settings page". I am aware where setting are :smileyhappy:

Now facebook won't sync.. MS  sUpport told me that uninstall doesn't uninstall the app completely, just the reference to it.. so if you have bad file it will still be there when you reinstall!

Sage
kinaton

sorry and I meant 1021 not 3021... (full of cold and brain not thinking)

Counsellor
Erazor84

So today i set the alarm on my windows phone. without alarm my windows phone has a 12-16 hours standby time. when the alarm clock is enabled the standby time decreases to 7hours! so the alarm clock service also has problems and causes a battery drain.
Contributor
pemell

This is just hilarious. Now just everything could be the source of the battery drain.

The thing is that, maybe the phone/system/registry is so unstable that close to everything could be harming the battery life. So just maybe all of us are just right in our assumptions.

I just send Nokia an email asking what the stateofhealth in battery details means. We'll se what they will tell me and if I can draw some conclusion from their answer.
Counsellor
Erazor84

i dont think, that this is the problem of the windows phone plattform, because i have 3 phones. omnia7, optimus 7 and lumia 800. the omnia and optimus devices have great standby times and also no problems with the alarm service. this is only nokia specific ....
Contributor
pemell

I don't speak against that. I really hope the stability and relation hardware-software will be very much improved in the next update wich I really hope we will se very soon on the market.

Does anyone have a clue when we can see the next update rolling out?
Counsellor
AndehX

[ Edited ]

Ok, after 24 hours of what i would consider "normal" use, here are the numbers I have:

The phone was charged to 100% and disconnected:

14:00 - 100%
15:00 - 99%
2 mins checking facebook
16:00 - 97%
15 mins of texting/whatsapp
17:00 - 93%
More texting and whatsapp
18:00 - 87%
occasional whatsapp messages
19:00 - 83%
occasional whatsapp and recieved 1 email
20:00 - 78%
00:00 - 55%
07:00 - 35%
12:00 - 15%
15:00 - 0%

So after uninstalling the diagnostic utility, I got 25 hours of normal use out of my phone. Still not close to the 14 days standby that nokia claim, but it'll have to do.

Advisor
Spac3Rat

I'd like to share a curious thing with the good folks here.

I've know of 2 persons that installed WP7 on their phones. They love it, although they noticed something: it drains the battery.

I don't think it's an hardware problem at all. I think it's a very serious OS problem.