Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 820/ 620 FM radio

rkw19

Lumia 820/ 620 FM radio

[ Edited ]

I am absolutely disappointed by knowing that Windows 8 platform (best for the date) mobile like lumia 820 or 620 do not have local FM radio support. Why Nokia sell this type of imperfect devices.

Initially Nokia launched Windows 7.8 devices without bluetooth file transfer option and without expandable memory option.

Nokia should sell smartphone with basic functions then add new features like NFC and pureview camera etc.

Nokia will definately face problem for selling these products in India where people are very much intersested in basic functions like fm radio. :rolleyes:

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Re: Lumia 820/ 620 FM radio

the hardware supports FM radio, but the problem doesn't lie with Nokia, as Microsoft has not impletemented support for FM radio with the Windows Phone 8 platform. You are always welcome to leave feature suggestions with them over at their website: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com
Professor
Ztuka

Nokia BH-221 is a solution.
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Advisor
monkeyandweasel

BH-221 is an expensive solution to something that should be included as part of the minimum spec!
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Personal FM radios are a cheap and viable option if it's absolutely imperative to have an FM radio all the time.

Personal FM radio

Community Manager
tiny_chef

Hi rkw19,

Welcome to Nokia Forum!

You can try TuneIn application from Store: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tunein-radio/7f7e3f68-ba3a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

"TuneIn is a new way to listen to the world through live local and global radio from wherever you are. Whether you want music, sports, news or current events, TuneIn offers over 70,000 stations and 2 million on-demand streams for you to choose from. The TuneIn Radio app lets you take this entire experience with you on your Windows Phone."

Final Banner
Sage
SvenJ

OK, over time, I've had 5 Windows Phones, Focus, HD7, Lumia 710, Lumia 900, and now 920. While I miss the FM Radio in my 920, given the other 4 supported it, I never considered that FM broadcast radio was a minimum requirement for a phone. I considered it an unusual and premium feature. Only had one other phone over the years that included it, and that was a Sony something, billed as a media device. 

As has been mentioned FM radios are cheap, and there are BT headsets with FM, at reasonable prices, if you think the Nokia one is too steep.

Registered Member
hazelhh4401

I'm just as well disappointed in my new Nokia Lumia 820, I had to replace my lost nokia N9 - which was easy to use to download anything )...now with Lumia I can't download a simple radio ( except if I want to use a radio working with internet, consuming my data ).

I have been a supporter of Nokia phones in the past 8 years and this is the last Nokia I phone I buy.

Professor
KennyKB

SvenJ wrote:

OK, over time, I've had 5 Windows Phones, Focus, HD7, Lumia 710, Lumia 900, and now 920. While I miss the FM Radio in my 920, given the other 4 supported it, I never considered that FM broadcast radio was a minimum requirement for a phone. I considered it an unusual and premium feature. Only had one other phone over the years that included it, and that was a Sony something, billed as a media device. 

As has been mentioned FM radios are cheap, and there are BT headsets with FM, at reasonable prices, if you think the Nokia one is too steep.

Depends where you are from. In developing countries FM radio is a much desired feature. It doesn't use data (online radios use 100MB per hour), doesn't need a data connection, use very little battery and not all local radio stations are online.

Even cheap Android phones have FM radios so it is not a premium feature. Buying another device or restricting your choice of headset just to get an FM radio is a poor solution for something which should be in the phone in the first place.

Contributor
ignatius

If one buys a Lumia now, and Microsoft upgrade W8 to accommodate FM radio (which is rumoured), will this upgrade be downloadable to the Lumia? Or do I need to wait till a new Lumia is introduced? (NB: I'm keen on a Lumia, but also want an FM Radio)

Mobile Visionary
garym11

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I read an article that Microsoft will bring the radio  to life in Lumias later this spring and a  Nokia update will  include the option to double tap to wake.

Mobile Emperor
psychomania

garym11 wrote:

Yesterday I read an article that Nokia will bring the radio  to life in Lumias later this spring. 

Do you have an official Nokia or Microsoft link that says the radio is coming or is it yet more rumours and speculation? 

Mobile Visionary
garym11

It is from The Verge. They are usually well informed.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148200/windows-phone-8-update-fm-radio-support

Mobile Emperor
psychomania

So yet again just a rumour. The verge have been known to get things wrong or recycle rumours so I wouldn't take it for granted that FM radio is coming until it is officially announced. Personally I still doubt that it will in existing models but hopefully I will be wrong.
Sage
SvenJ

Officially announced? Heck I won't believe it till it is on my phone :smileywink:
Registered Member
oparedes76

:crying:

Not is true... i didn´t install Tune In for Lumia 620 because its only work in phones with 1GB Ram..... and without FM Radio i return back the phone...

Sage
SvenJ

I think it is more than a rumor actually. Comes from a MS Blog. Read near the bottom. "The new update, which is expected to start rolling out to existing Windows Phone 8 phones later this summer, brings back support for FM radio (we heard you!)" Of course carriers could sit on it, and there is the possibility some phones don't have the hardware. My 521 doesn't have a compass for instance.

Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It was a rumour when this thread was being actively discussed (look at the dates) but it has since been confirmed for all current Lumia's apart from the 620.
Sage
SvenJ

My 512M Lumia 521 runs Tunein Radio just fine. Why do you think it needs a Gig?

Sage
SvenJ

Why should having started as a rumor keep me from providong an official confirmation? We aren't allowed to update?