Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 820 - Microphone sensitivity

Contributor
ilko89

Lumia 820 - Microphone sensitivity

When I make or receive calls, people on the other side have been complaining that they cant hear me properly. I am thinking it may be due to a low sensitivity on the microphone, because I usually have a good signal (vodafone).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Contributor
bricelam

Re: Lumia 820 - Microphone sensitivity

Same problem here. Any updates on this?

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi guys,

According to the official Nokia specifications for the 820, there are two high dynamic range microphones, while the 920 has three of the same type of microphones. They are pretty good quality mics, so i don't see why there should be any problems with the quality of your voice transmitted to the other person on the line.

If you are able to, try to confirm that it is not a network issue by using another phone to call same person and if they can still hear you clearly, then may be issue with the phone itself. In which case, try and perform a soft reset (pressing the volume down and power buttons together at the same time until the phone vibrates).

If that doesn't work, then you may have to perform a hard reset by pressing the volume down, power and camera buttons together at the same time, then releasing the power buttton when the phone vibrates while keeping the other two buttons held down. After five seconds, release the remaining buttons.

It would pay to do a backup of all your personal data first to PC and SkyDrive or equivalent online service.

If you are STILL experiencing issues, then you will need to take your phone back to your point of purchase for a replacement, or if they are being less than helpful, visit your local Nokia Care point: http://nokia.com/support
Registered Member
Mike_Forshock

Same problem on 810 (Tmobile)

Speakerphone works great, no complaints.

Regular microphone people say it sounds like I am at the other side of a room. 

Additionally, sometimes turning off speaker causes the other party to sound like they are talking behind a pillow until I hit speakerphone again and then turn off.

I have another 810 that does not seem to exhibit the same behavior.

Contributor
bricelam

Thank you so much, adianhughes, the hard reset did the trick -- people say they can hear me so much better now!

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

You're welcome Bricelam, glad to hear it worked for you
Counsellor
buddler

Me + Lumia 820

Often when people call me and I start speaking quietly, people don't get me. I have to yell at least once to the phone. Afterwards I can speak quieter and people will hear me.

Sometimes my voice volume goes down on the other side suddenly, although I have 3g or h or even h+.

I've had 2 hard resets in the beginning and nothing's changed.

My workphone (lumia 800) doesn't have any problems in the same situations.

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
mjuju

Hi Buddler,

In order to fix this issue, I would advise you to visit your local Nokia Care to get the phone checked. If it needs a repair, it may be done there.

mjuju

Contributor
ilko89

It seems that a hard reset has fixed the problem for some, but for me a hard reset cannot be performed. Either I dont do it right or it cant be done. It only soft resets for me. Hard reset = factory settings right?

On a side note, I have just noticed that when I am on the phone with some one and say they cant hear me that the signal drops to 1 bar. Additionally, right next to the signal bar I either see an H or an E, which I presume are signal type and E = Edge, but what H stands for?

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Yes hard reset is factory settings. If the pressing-button solution doesn't work for you, then you can goto Settings > About > Reset your phone. Remember to backup all your personal data first.

E I believe stands for EDGE yes, and H is for High speed data packet access with 3G (HSDPA).
Advisor
mirso

I've tried everything too. Factory reset, soft reset, settings change, everything! Nothing works. 

I've noticed that besides hearing poorly, even if the conversation runs OK, I still get like a short cuts in audio. It lasts for a mini-second but it happens like 20 times during a conversation. Ridicilous...

Counsellor
buddler

hi mjuju:

In Germany, Nokia care won't tell you anything which hasn't been already mentioned here.

And: I don't think a new lumia 820 would do the thing. I've already tried another lumia 820 with my and another simcard and am experiencing the same problems.

Contributor
ilko89

[ Edited ]

mirso, I know how you feel. I had a 40 minutes call the other day and I had to repeat every 3rd sentance, frustration to the max.

Anyways, I am going to test it a little bit more before I do a hard reset on it and will post with the results. Also, thanks Adrian for your help and tips man.

Advisor
mirso

@ilko89

Let me know what happened, if anything worked for you?! Try the hard reset, holding a volume up, power button and the camera button - once it vibrates a little, release the power button, a hold the other two for a few more seconds. A big exclamation mark should pop up. I did, it somewhat better, but still not what I wanted. 

I think we'll eventually end up sending this thing for a repair. We should have gotten Samsung  S3 haha.

Registered Member
StylusPilot

I have two of these phones with the same issue

for example if I said this sentence on the phone

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

the other party can only here the words in bold.

Very frustrating having to repeat a thousand times.

I have tried hard resetting both phones same issue.

I thought because both phones had it that it might be firmware related, but looks like I will be taking them in for repair after reading this thread.

thanks

Registered Member
poolc

Add me to the list. Same problem with my Lumia 820. People constantly complain they cannot hear me. Sometimes if I change the position or the way I hold the  phone the person on other end of the call says it helps.

jrdatrackstar

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list.  I have had this phone for nearly 2 weeks now, and am the first owner (purchased from an AT&T retailer off-contract).  I had another 820 before this, and it did the same.  I originally returned that one because music would play out of the speakers if I unplugged my headphones with the music paused.  This new one started doing the same, but Portico fixed that.

However, both phones have this call quality issue.  People will keep saying "hello....hello" and eventually hanging up if i dial.  If I pick up a call, it doesn't happen as often, but it still does.  This is ridiculous.  My Lumia 900 never had these problems, and neither Microsoft nor Nokia have shown that they are trying to take Windows Phone to the next level.  This is stuff that should've been caught in testing in the early phases, as this happened before AND after the Portico update.  I understand no company or product is perfect, but between Windows Phone 7.5 (and dropping a lot of early adopters in a messed up way, with no coupon towards a different phoen or anything) and their "promise" of Windows Phone 8 being a refreshed and better experience, nothing has happened.

I'm tired of iOS and Android, and will definitely be eyeing Blackberry 10....

Contributor
J_Reinaldo

I have recently bought a Lumia 820 and I'm having the same issues. It is noticeable when I receive a call, but it also happens (less often) when making a call. I have done some testing and found out the problem goes away after about 35 seconds in the call. After this time, I can hold the phone any way I want and people will hear me without issues, but during the first 35 seconds people just can't hear me properly.

Nokia, please acknowledge this issue and tell us by when can we expect a fix. We are happy with the Lumia line in our family, and would not like to exchange this phone for any other brand/platform.

Thanks!
Contributor
ilko89

Hi guys, I tried a hard reset, although i am not sure if it did reset properly. The exclamation mark came up on the screen, but all of my stuff was still on the phone i presume it did not hard reset. Anyways, I cannot confirm for sure that it solves the problem as i am still having trouble with my phone calls some times. I have noticed that when i hold the lower part of the phone where the microphone is away from my mouth, which i absolutely find normal with my previous phones, people would not hear what i am saying (partly or entirely). When i bring my phone closer or even really close to my mouth, they the person on the other side would hear me fine. Cant really decide whether this is a; microphone issue, network signal issue or just firmware issue. Hope we find out a solution to this as it gets really annoying now.
Advisor
idgi3

Same problem with microphone +1

Its terrible.

4g -> 3g didn`t help,

hard reset didn`t help.