Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Contributor
escapedaweb

I have "SanDisk microSDXC Ultra Class 10 64 GB" and the same freezing problem.  My Lumia 822 freezes after taking few photos or while downloading music and saving them to the sd card.

OS version: 8.0.9905.12

Firmware revision number: 1532.2108.1244.0003

Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0

Radio software version: 2.0.09037.2

Registered Member
Natko

Cannot save any files via phone nor desktop on my new G.Skill 32gb class 10 card (Lumia 820)!😞 Pre-portico firmware, european unbranded!
Mobile Guru
93tid

Yet another example of a Class 10 microSDHC having issues. It's unnecessary and expensive overkill, try using a card up to Class 6.

Sage
heredot90

escapedaweb wrote:

I have "SanDisk microSDXC Ultra Class 10 64 GB" and the same freezing problem.  My Lumia 822 freezes after taking few photos or while downloading music and saving them to the sd card.

OS version: 8.0.9905.12

Firmware revision number: 1532.2108.1244.0003

Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0

Radio software version: 2.0.09037.2

I have the same sd card (16GB) and the phone randomly shuts itself off. I unplugged the card and format the phone. Now I'm waiting to see if there's another freezing problem or not. I'll share my experince soon here...

Contributor
Narziss70

Are you aware of any 64GB cards "up to Class 6"? If so please give an example. Thanks.

Registered Member
Sagar_Tambade

Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing

Hi I am observing that nokia music is not getting auto updated after removing some songs from scan disk 16GB memory disk.. someone knows any way to refresh it other than removing card from the handset (after reading so many posts i will be avoiding to remove memory card from the handset) any advice will be much appriciated. Thanks

Mobile Guru
93tid

Narziss70 wrote:

Are you aware of any 64GB cards "up to Class 6"? If so please give an example. Thanks.

30 seconds of searching on the web brought up this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005LFT40G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

You're welcome.

Contributor
Narziss70

[ Edited ]

93tid wrote:

Narziss70 wrote:

30 seconds of searching on the web brought up this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005LFT40G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

You're welcome.

Thanks a lot. But to me it does look like a class 10 card. I wanted to follow your suggestion to use a card up to class 6 because, according to you, class 10 are "unnecessary and expensive overkill". Why are you suggesting a class 10 card then? That's what I have and it doesen't work properly...

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Contributor
IWSNX

come on guys, we bought such an expensive mobile which was released in last quarter of 2012 and we get a product which istn`t even able to read CLASS 10 SanDisk Cards!

I think we should stop arguing about which sd card works with the 820, but rather complain about Nokia that there is no qualified assistant in the forum and helps or informs us if there will be an a firmware update and everything will work fine or if we all have to throw our 64GB in the dustbin.

I think it's a shame that Nokia treats his users like this...

greetings from Germany
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

IWSNX wrote:
I think we should stop arguing about which sd card works with the 820, but rather complain about Nokia that there is no qualified assistant in the forum and helps or informs us

I think you should start by reading the guidelines for Nokia Support DIscussions and take this up with Nokia Care.

and I quote;

This is mainly a peer-to-peer support forum, and Nokia does not provide direct customer support to all questions via these boards. If you wish to get personal assistance from Nokia customer support by phone or email, please visit the "Contact Us" section of your local Nokia website.

and

Moderators are here to help. The Nokia Support Discussions is a moderated forum. From time to time moderators may participate in discussions, but their primary purpose is to help facilitate the functioning of the boards and assist you in their use.

Then you should maybe educate yourself on the requirements and purpose of a class10 SD card to find it is both overkill as far as using it in a mobile phone as well as the given it would add unnessesary cost to the device where it will not give you any performance gain. In this case bigger is certainly not better.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Advisor
_thalamus

paulheu wrote:

Then you should maybe educate yourself on the requirements and purpose of a class10 SD card to find it is both overkill as far as using it in a mobile phone as well as the given it would add unnessesary cost to the device where it will not give you any performance gain. In this case bigger is certainly not better.

That is somewhat missing the point, do you not think? The point is, a class 10 SD card *should* work in the Lumia 820. I have tried both a Samsung and a Sandisk and they both make the phone lock up.

Being an obnoxious apologist may make you feel superior, however, if the device isn't fit for purpose, it isn't fit for purpose. If it can't accept a commodity high capacity micro SD card, the majority of which are class 10, then it is not fit for purpose. The device only has 8GB of internal memory for goodness sake. SD support needs to work properly.

This issue needs to be rectified as soon as practically possible.

Sage
heredot90

IWSNX wrote:
come on guys, we bought such an expensive mobile which was released in last quarter of 2012 and we get a product which istn`t even able to read CLASS 10 SanDisk Cards!

I think we should stop arguing about which sd card works with the 820, but rather complain about Nokia that there is no qualified assistant in the forum and helps or informs us if there will be an a firmware update and everything will work fine or if we all have to throw our 64GB in the dustbin.

I think it's a shame that Nokia treats his users like this...

greetings from Germany

I use Class10 Team SDcard with my Lumia 820 and it works well. But I still have problem with the phone that it turns itself down even I unplugged the sdcard. So the problem is not with the SDcard, I think it's about the battery and Noia should rapidly solve this problem all over the world...

Registered Member
Taki

I had the same issue. SanDisk sdhc 32gb class10.
formatted card now in notebook, did a factory reset on the Lumia and afterwards plugged the card into it. Do not format the SD with the Lumia. Now everything works fine.
Contributor
escapedaweb

I tried a microSD card 16gb class 4 and it still causes the same locking issue.  Frustrating...

Contributor
escapedaweb

I contacted the Nokia about the microSD card problem and here is a copy of Nokia's reply about the issue: ***** Thank you for emailing the Nokia USA Careline. In response to your concern, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems regarding the memory card on your Nokia Lumia 822. We would like to inform you that if you are using a non-Nokia MicroSD card, we cannot guarantee the compatibility or full functionality of third-party accessories. It is necessary to use the appropriate Nokia original enhancement tested and approved for a Nokia phone, as each one has been specifically designed for use with a particular Nokia phone. The use of third-party accessories that are not compatible or approved for use with your Nokia phone model could also cause irreparable damage to the device and may invalidate any approval or warranty applying to the phone. In addition to this, provided below are the compatible MicroSD cards for your Nokia Lumia 822: 1. Nokia MicroSD card 1 GB MU-22 2. Nokia MicroSD card 2 GB MU-37 3. Nokia MicroSD card 4 GB MU-41 4. Nokia MicroSD card 8 GB MU-43 5. Nokia MicroSD card 16 GB MU-44 6. Nokia MicroSD card 32 GB MU-45 If you are using a memory card which is included on the list of compatible MicroSD cards that we have provided, please email us back so we can assist you further. We are hoping for your understanding and we appreciate your patience and cooperation regarding this matter. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. To ensure proper handling of your case, kindly continue using the current subject line. You may also call Nokia Careline at 1-888-665-4228 from Mondays to Fridays at 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST (closed on national public holidays) for immediate assistance. ****
Advisor
_thalamus

Wow. Well that is a load of garbage if I ever heard any.

So, what they are saying is that pretty much, nothing will work except Nokia cards (which I have *never* seen to purchase) and they don't care. And what's more, they don't even have a 64GB one listed as compatible.

What an utter load of garbage.
Counsellor
buddler

[ Edited ]

Yesterday my phone received the portico update (German T-Mobile Lumia 820) and the versions are now:

FW:1232.5951.1249.1001

Radio Software: 1.0.202075.3

I just reformatted my 64 gb sd card (as written before: SanDisk microSDXC Ultra Class 10 64 GB, link can be found in the beginning of this topic) from fat32 (didn't work correctly before and now) to exFat and I am trying to sync 40 gb of music to it.

When I am experienceing improvements or fails, I'll let you know.

Counsellor
buddler

Piratelooksat40 wrote:

My 32g SD card does not work.  Here is my phone info:

OS Version: 8.0.10211.204

Firmware: 1232.5951.1249.0001

Hardware: 1.0.0.0

Ok, you have Portico, too, but can you explain in which way your card won't work and tell your card model?

Counsellor
buddler

After transfering some files (this time without interruptions, crashes and freezing), I really see improvements.

I am able to play random music quite fast (maybe half a second of lagging) and even pictures and videos are possible without crashing.

I still have to face some lags in the first seconds of a video, but it's far better than without the Portico update.

Who also experiences improvements?

Counsellor
buddler

Ok, after some days of testing with the Portico update, I come to the following conclusions:

- with more than 10 GB of data on the card, it gets extremely laggy

- media player or the phone app will freeze when files larger than 50 mb are synchronized

- video recording and playback will be nearly impossible with more than 10 gb data on the card (chopping/lagging)

- high data rate music files (256 kbit/s ++) will chop and lag, only beneath fluent playback

- freezing of the phone still possible

- improvement of waiting time, before random playlists of all songs start (5 to 10 s instead of up to 3 min before)

- the phone gets extremely warm, the more data you have.... without sd card: 30 to 40 hours without recharging, now only 12 to 15 hours

:-/