Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 900: dust accumulation on the camera len...

Advisor
catchsvix

Lumia 900: dust accumulation on the camera lens

Is any one else having this problem? This is getting irksome... Especially as we can't clean the inside of the phone.

Counsellor
forbiddenshani

Re: Lumia 900: dust accumulation on the camera lens

Hmmm that's a bit strange don't you think?

The chamber in which the lens sit should by right be sealed tight so as to prevent dust or any particles to reside in there and further, the only opening the Lumia 900 has is the usb charger dock.

My Lumia 800 has no problem like this whatsoever BUT my the front facing camera on my N78 is covered with dust which i do not know rendering it almost impossible to capture any image.

You should bring your phone back to Nokia and asked them to look into it and if they tell you it's normal, ask them to lick the dust off clean and then you'll take back the phone.

Advisor
catchsvix

thanks forbiddenshani! I've contacted nokia support and they're yet to provide me a solution...

evidently, I'm not alone on this... This guy - http://forums.wpcentral.com/general-discussion/194213.htm - evidently faced this problem repeatedly....

but surprisingly, I don't find many people complaining about this online... i guess this problem is not widespread and only a few phones have this problem...
Registered Member
ToVoPro

You're not alone on this, and I'm pretty sure MANY others are dealing with this same issue.  I'm dealing with it too.  Dust accummilation from inside the lense.  I've had my fair share of Nokia phones in the past and this has appeared to be a problem with those older phones as well.  Apparently, they haven't fired the team that put those things together :smileytongue:

Only difference with those phones was that I was able to take the back plate off to wipe it down.  With the Lumia, it's "uni-effin-body" design just deters anyone from either repairing it or breaking it.  Don't get me wrong, the phone is great, but Windows 7.5 and that camera are starting to bug me. :thumbdown:

Advisor
catchsvix

ha... anyways, nokia's willing to take a look at my phone and 'evaluate' it... but i'm not getting any replacement phone for the period its in the shop... that sucks...

also, the support folks didnt seem to acknowledge that its a common problem... either not many are complaining about this, or, nokia has decided to keep this one quiet.

there's a key difference between the lumia and the previous nokia phones (btw, i've always had a nokia so far!!)... the removable back panel... i've seen dust get into other phones with back panel as well... that's fine...

when it comes to a molded uni-body model like lumia, they shouldve made the camera and the lens cover one unit, like iPhone 4s... in the iPhones, u can clearly see that the camera and the elevated lens cover are all one unit, like one cylindrical thing... and dust has no way to get under that... whether or not dust gets into the other areas...
Advisor
catchsvix

here's what i'm talking about... Lumia camera: just that... camera and the lens laying flat...

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-nokia-lumia-900/6355431?seq=50

and the iPhone camera assembly that shows an elevated area surrounding the lens:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4971/4S-5096_575px.jpg
Registered Member
ToVoPro

WOW!  All of that just to get to the bottom plate to wipe off the dust from inside the lense??!  NO THANKS!  NOKIA, FIX THIS!!!  All my shots I'm taking with the camera is hazy like no other, even after adjusting the contrast feature.

lumia900dust

I have same problem since I got Lumia 900. I think all Lumia 900 users have same problem. I finally visited AT&T service center after reading the posts because I was getting real bad foggy pictures. The AT&T service center solved the problem with Air Duster blowing out the dusts. It was not perfect solution, but acceptable. I still see dusts under the glass cover, but it gives acceptable pictures compared from foggy pictures. Because of the moving glass cover, I expect dusts will accumulate sometime sooner or later. If it happens again, I will not visit AT&T service center again, but buy an Air Duster and blow out dusts.

For no one posted regarding Air Duster solution, I had to drive half an hour to AT&T service center. I am okay with AT&T service center solution blowing out dusts with Air Duster because I am not a serious picture taker. I bought a phone, not a camera. However, if you are a serious picture taker, that’s bad for you. Nokia made a wrong product this time. :smileysad:

Registered Member
dabs17

I started noticing dust inside the back camera lens within 3-4 months of getting this phone. I was astonished that the lens cover isn't sealed shut, instead, its sort of just hanging there. Poor device design!

Counsellor
nazrae

The most cheapest way to get rid of the dusts accumulated at the lens of my Lumia 900 was to suck it out from the input jack. That did the trick.. Nasty but it worked.. :smileytongue:
Nazrae