Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 900 poor battery life

Contributor
efjay

Lumia 900 poor battery life

My Lumia 900 is getting really poor battery life and can barely last a full day with minimal use. Under moderate to heavy use the phone doesn't last more than 5 hours. I have done two hard resets already and its still the same. It appears others have the same problem. Is this going to be addressed by Nokia?

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Re: Lumia 900 poor battery life

Hey Efjay, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

You would be able to get better battery performance from your device by turning off bluetooth and also turning off push notifications to be less frequent or to manual. 

Also switching from a white background if you are currently using one and using lower screen brightness would drastically improve battery life.

I hope this has helped and that you are able to get more hours out of each charge!

Sheldrick 

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Contributor
efjay

Hi, I am already using a black background, minimize which applications use push and bg services and always keep BT & Wifi off if not in use, none of this has helped. I have taken the phone off the charger within the hour and used it minimally and am already down to 93%.

Please advise if Nokia is looking into this as I am within my return period and would prefer to just return it if this can't be fixed. Thanks.

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Sorry to hear that you are having such problem with the device :smileysad: We are not aware of this issue, however I have reported the issue and we will be looking into the problem.

If you wish to return your phone, you must contact the retailer from whom you purchased the device.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Registered Member
whtsvt99

[ Edited ]

I have had my phone since launch. At first my battery life was good about 1 day and 8 hours for 100% charge. I noticed that if I charged the phone with anything other than the stock charger the phone wouldn't charge to its maximum potential. It wouldn't return to normal at a 100% it only said about 7 or 8 hours of usage. **bleep** a hard reset it would go back to normal. I haven't used any aftermarket chargers since then and only used an aux cable in the car to listen to music. The phone is now showing the same battery issue. :smileyindifferent:. . . I wonder is the duration of time showing on the phone on each charge learned by the way your using it? Is it a rough estimate or is this a valid problem? On a full charge it used to show well over a day in usage and now it only shows about 8 or 9 hours . . Other than that the phone is dope.

Contributor
MyRe

very first day of use battery lasted less than 5hrs..i was driving with location on, BT on, WiFi on, Brightness set to high. day 2 not traveling..i turned off BT, Location, set brightness to low. WiFi was on and after 2hrs of talk time, battery was nearly dead. as battery level diminished, top of the phone started getting very hot...

any known issues or fix? i have asked att to exchange the phone..will try another handset if it has same issue i am not going to get a different handset...tht would be end of lumia for me...

i also noticed others reporting battery issues on this thread and few others...

/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-poor-battery-life/m-p/1388121#M12561

also did anyone else notice that the battery indicator is not displayed on top all the time..same with the signal bars as well..sometiems it shows 4G, sometimes just bars, most of the times no bars and no battery indicator displayed.

schu

My phone is about 35 days old - just outside the return period and I just started to have battery problems. It is fully charged in the morning, I have EVERY battery saver tip turned off, am running NOTHING, and only used it for about 2 phones calls of one minute each and in 5 hours I got "battery criticallly" low and now I can't use it. This is the second time this has happened within the week.  What gives!  Also whenever it is low battery I don't get text messages...

Any fix??? and don't tell me to do a reset - this should not happen with a brand new phone that is running NOTHING and barely being used. I'm going to try and return it, if no answer.

Counsellor
GoanGeek

Just Curious.... If you Guys are on the latest Firmware

Mine is - 7.10.8773.98 -
revision number - 2175.1601.8773.12141

I am in the UK and my phone lasts me around 13 - 19 hours depending how I use it.

I dont use bluetooth but its on wifi whole time at home.
have four emails syncs all the time with twitter and facebook used a lot.

I am quiet happy with the battery.

Normally poor coverage and weather apps seem to drain a lot of battery or even rogue apps.

I only keep the weather app running in the background rest all I turn off.
Registered Member
iderren

Hi, I'm a UK buyer of the Nokia Lumia 900 and i think the battery life is the worst i've ever had on any smartphone i've used. I did e-mail Nokia care and just got a Generic reply aka turn of wifi and bluetooth when your not using them etc. I do not get a days use out of it with just moderate use and with heavy use about 5 hrs. AT&T customers have just recieved a update but i'm unsure if this includes any battery related features. Nokia need to do something to address this issue....NOW ps still waiting for my headphones!

efjay wrote:

My Lumia 900 is getting really poor battery life and can barely last a full day with minimal use. Under moderate to heavy use the phone doesn't last more than 5 hours. I have done two hard resets already and its still the same. It appears others have the same problem. Is this going to be addressed by Nokia?

Registered Member
the_jay

My Lumia 900 is only 4 days old!

I used the Nokia Drive twice for the day.  Without warning, my phone died! Last I saw was my battery life was more than 30-40%. I used the car charger from my N900.  Wouldn't start up. When I came home, I used the lumia supplied wall charger. Waited for 10 mins. and pressed the power 10 sec or more. It stated up and  saw the battery was more than 50%.

What wrong with it??? Should I return and get refund? Are all lumia 900 like this because I saw some other forums that they're having the same problem?! :-(

Registered Member
ken1ceo

I have the same issue. However, this is what I've learned. When I ignore the critical battery warning and just keep using the phone I find that it will last an entire day. It's like the software running the battery life remaining service is not configured properly. When I go into Options, Battery Saver it says the battery life is 0, but will continue to run another 8 hours! Here's hoping it's just a software glitch and an update will come out soon.
cwiley2566

[ Edited ]

ken1ceo wrote:
I have the same issue. However, this is what I've learned. When I ignore the critical battery warning and just keep using the phone I find that it will last an entire day. It's like the software running the battery life remaining service is not configured properly. When I go into Options, Battery Saver it says the battery life is 0, but will continue to run another 8 hours! Here's hoping it's just a software glitch and an update will come out soon.

I can confirm this. My mother was explaining that her phone was saying that her battery was critically low after a few hours of of being unplugged from the charger and saying a 100% charge. I told her something must be off with a battery memory or something (which is weird because I know these batteries aren't supposed to have memories) and to just keep using the phone until the phone fully died. I had her go into the battery saver and turn it off. Funny thing is it wouldn't die. She used it all day and it was fine. Her phone does this to her every day now. Sometimes after saying the battery it critically low for hours it will switch back and show it has 50-75% of the battery left. 

Wil109

I just got a lumia 900 a few weeks ago and have found up till now the battery life has been somewhat erratic. It even got to the stage where it wouldn't charge up.

I went through every setting, battery saver, location, wifi etc and made sure everything was off (apart from the phone function).

Then went through all email accounts and any other app that may access data network, phone update, location services etc and made sure all of those were set off. Gave the USB port a good blow out to try get rid of any dust that may interfere with terminals. Also plugged charger straight into mains (was using a 4 plug adaptor before - though this I think shouldn't make any difference).

Phone finally took a full charge and haven't had to charge it over the last 36 hours and it still states its got approx 46% left - 17 hours. Will wait till end of week to see how many times I have had to recharge.

I really like the phone, just hope the battery sorts itself out or Nokia produce an update that enhances the battery life further.

Registered Member
creepcube

the lumia 900 uses battery life when its idle people say turn this turn that off ...the truth is it shut these things off when idle ,so why is it still running down. im stuck in a contract know you people dont think of this ....good phone rubbish battery life ,and its a big battery too .....

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Was hoping that latest firmware revision 2175.2101.8779.12201 would result in less current consumption but still about 110mA at idle:

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Counsellor
DrNitun

How did you take a screenshot?

Dr. Nitun
Nokia Lumia 900
Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
Registered Member
Elpidio318

Same thing started happening on my Phone this month. I will get "Battery critically Low" message but it keeps on working for hours more. Battery level will sometimes jump back up to 50-60% out of nowhere. Thought it was just my phone.

Registered Member
BethP321

Same thing with my Lumia. It's been off the charger about 3 hours, battery saver is on, and I've only used it a few times for texts. Now the battery is at 85%... How can I fix this?
Registered Member
EvonK

I am also experiencing the same problem. At 1st I thought it was just my handset but now that I am not the only one I will return it. My battery barely last a day. I cannot be charging a phone every morning. Is Nokia even willing to do anything about this?

Counsellor
ohboohoo

I get a whopping 200+ mA with nothing running except cellular reception.  Since Nokia hasn't seen fit to fix (or even address)  this in the last year, I think it's safe to say that they just don't care.