Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity probl...

Contributor
lumia011

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity problems when talking in the phone?

mindo wrote:

Mics are ok. With a speakerphone on, I hear my wife fine. Also the sound on video recordings is excellent. It'a not a HW problem, but SW. What to clean on a brand new device?

For example, when kids are sleeping, she has to speak quietly, I can't hear a word. The voice is muddy and discontinuous. She has to leave the room and talk loudly. The point is, we don't want this Active Noise Cancellation feature so why can't we just turn it OFF? Most of the time I want to hear natural background ambience noise: birds singing, children playing, people talking. I don't want filters. Until this issue is solved, I can't recommend this phone to anybody, sorry. We wrote to Nokia, still no answer. Nokia Care, do you care?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lumia011

Re: Lumia 920 - Anybody with mic sensitivity problems when talking in the phone?

This is exactly how it is with my phone! and this is my 2nd red Lumia - I returned the first one because of this (it was totally unbearable) and are coping with the second (which is a bit better, but still not acceptable).

Also, if you put a phone on your shoulder (while washing hands for example) the phone is basically useless for the other party.

I agree, since the mic works in speakerphone mode, this cannot be hardware issue but just software, and it is a shame that Nokia and MS are not fixing it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
th3jm4n

As far as I can tell, it's a noise cancelling issue with the Portico update. It seems as though they've increased the sensitivity of the noise cancelling microphone on the top of the handset, so that it picks up your voice and cancels you out.

Try cupping your hand around the bottom of the handset when you're talking and see if it temporarily solves the problem. This is how I've come to my hypothesis. They REALLY need to fix this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mindo

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
monotheist

Nokia needs to solve this, looks like their noise cancelling is cancelling out our voices too.

No official reply or confirmation? Surprising

Please use plain text.
sasaobu

I had the same problem (that ppl I was talking to were regulary complaining that they couldn't properly hear my voice until I turned speakerphone on) on my Lumia 920 which I purchased back in November last year. A few weeks ago I purchased two more Lumia 920 for my parents and they aren't affected by this issue so far.

I figured out that it kind of depended on how I was holding the phone while speaking to sb but I couldn't exactly figure out how to hold it so that the person on the other hand would be able to hear my voice. So as a workaround when ppl were complaining that they couldn't hear me I always switched to speakerphone for the past few weeks.

Now that I read here and on other sites on the Internet that the issue seems to be related to the noice cancelation and to the second microphone used by that noice cancelation I tried the following (like others on the Internet also suggested):

-while speaking to sb on the phone I used my finger to cover the second microphone

it worked - as long as my finger was blocking that second microphone the person on the other end could hear my voice clearly and as soon as I took the finger off the problem appeared again

-cleaning both the primary and the secondary microphone using a vacum cleaner -> it did the trick now - the person on the other hand can always hear my voice clearly without me having to switch to speaker phone or having to cover the second microphone

So if you experience the same problem I strongly suggest to get a valum cleaner and try to clean the second microphone (at the top of the phone next to the headphone socket) and the primary microphone (I think it's located at the bottom of the phone next to the MicroUSB connector but I'm not quite sure) and see if it works for you too.

Please use plain text.
sasaobu

It turns out that I was jumping to a conclusion too soon :smileysad:

I was just talking to my brother and he again was complaining that he could barely hear my voice - so it seems that the cleaning the microphones thing didn't work out after all.

Now I've put a pice of transparent tape over the second microphone at the top of the phone and that seems to do the trick for now. Of course this is not a very nice solution but at least this way ppl will be able to hear my voice again without me having to switch to speakerphone ...

But I still hope that Nokia / Microsoft are going to properly fix thix issue!

Please use plain text.
leSass

I have been having the same issues with my older 920 (I do have access to a brand new one too).

The interesting part is that the new Nokia 920 has much larger holes for the noise cancelling microphone ( top of the phone and the right of the audio jack).  The 5 holes are around 50% larger.  In the early version of 920 they are tiny pin holes and bearly noticable.  In the later version, they are very clearly visible.

I believe that Nokia have known about this issue and have made corrective modifications to the later versions of the 920.

The only way I can get anyone to hear me on my old 920 is to hold the phone horizontal to the ground from your  ear.  This is an odd position because common sense would dictate that you hold it at 45 degrees from near your ear to your mouth.  The worst results are obtained when you hold it vertical from your ear down.

Incidently,  the new 920 has no such issues and you can hold it anyway you like and just talk.

Anyhow,  Nokia do need to admit that there is an issue here since they have, themselves,  altered the design of the noise cancellation mic. in the lateriterations of 920.

At least give us the ability to turn noise cancellation off, alternatively, the can  replace the older 920 with new ones!

Apart from this annoying issue with the mic,  it is an awesome piece of kit.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TodesAngst

I have now encountered this issue too with my Lumia920. It is indeed to do with the microphone on top of the phone near the headphone jack. As a consequence to normal use the holes in the case that are associated with the top mic get filled with dirt/**bleep** and this stops the microphone "hearing" anything while you are on a call. Consequently it then forces the phone to mute your voice while using the phone in handset mode.

FIX: I used a very fine pointed needle and carefully removed the dirt from these holes after that I can confirm that callers can hear me fine again in calls.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumia920user45

I have a brand new/clean 920 (factory refurbish).  I have this issue.  Think I am going to need to return it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumia920user45

Got a new 920, problem solved.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Joeboy22

I have the same problem. I've only just seen this post. I have been on this one.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-920-Anybody-with-mic-sensitivity-problems-when-tal...

Joe

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Joeboy22

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RollTide1995

Same problem here, sent phone off 2 days ago. Statrted a new thread opn page 1
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ClaudioCL

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for Nokia 920
You should clean the small holes of the microphone at the bottom of the phone, I did with a small needle and now works perfect!.

I thought that because the dirt on these holes change the audio frequency, this problem is also progressive (like dirt)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
storch

[ Edited ]

I just made two of the five holes on the top mic (noise cancelling mic) larger with a very small drill bit (1/16").  Makes all the difference.  I have gone through the soft/hard reset, replaced the usb port/voice mic, all with no effect.  Just be very carefull not to drill through the mic that rests against the cover on the inside of those holes (I took the rear cover off to be sure I wouldn't pierce the mic)

Larger holes on the top seems to fix the problem, which would corroborate the post above that states the newer models have larger holes for the noise cancelling mic (as well as those who have fixed the problem by "cleaning out the five little holes".)  My guess is that cleaning them with a pin made them larger.

Shame, shame nokia.   We shouldn't have to be our own technicians.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EnzoContini

In my case the problem was due to the new soft plastic cover I bought that haven't a hole where there is the top mic (noise cancelling mic): I make a hole in the plastic and the problem was fixed!

So becareful if you use a cover ...

Please use plain text.
davemich2f

Yes exactly the same problem, phone 4u happy to take the phone off me send it away for inspection for anything up to 4 weeks but no offer of a replacement.Ummmm:smileysad:
Please use plain text.
davemich2f

WHY!!!!!
Please use plain text.
rever

I've just bought a Lumia 1020 from O2 in England and guess what - same issue to me. When I make a phone call, everybody hear me very quiet. When I put it on microphone, everything is ok. Any solution????:confused:

Please use plain text.