Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 920: Cannot unlock phone (black start sc...

Nerathas

Lumia 920: Cannot unlock phone (black start screen).

[ Edited ]

Hello,

In one week time i already had this problem occur 3 times.

When my phone is locked (black screen) i am unable to unlock the Lumia 920. Is there some sort of other button combination (except resets) to solve this problem?

The only way is a soft reset but after already doing this 3 times i figure something else must be wrong?

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Lumia 920: Stuck at black start screen, cannot unlock phone.

@Nerathas

Obviously some thing not right, is this ATT device or other region?

Have you installed much upon device as although it would be a pain it might be an idea to backup and consider going to Settings > about > reset your device

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Nerathas

[ Edited ]

Its a European version. It not a branded phone, no provider attached.

I already had this problem on the second day, with pretty much no apps on the phone.

Found similar posts with people that have the exacty same issue (but with no solution posted).

Registered Member
Chombarus

Hold "Power+Reduce Volume" for about 10secs. Worked for me

evetSreteP

Hi - Just had the same issue, I think. Connected phone to bluetooth device, and screen locked, then went blank. Tried the '-Volume and Power together as you suggested, and phone re-booted.

Phone from Orange UK and less than 3 weeks old.

Orange told me that they are aware of issue when the phone is multi tasking with several programs running that this has been happening.

Registered Member
Master_Nuno

Glad this worked. had me scared of needed to perform a hard reset until I found this Thanks.
Contributor
my920

This also happens to me whenever I charge it and leave it for a while, then when i come back to check on it, the screen blacks out. It won't unlock or anything, so I keep resetting it. Still waiting for an update for this to be fixed.

Contributor
BG920

Same issue here. But twice a day. I'm starting to wish back my old SGS2.

Please fix this issue immediately!

Contributor
lakimbee

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Always in the morning i have to do a soft reset because my phone won't unlock from sleep. My phone is up to date (portico).

But the problem still occurs. I have no running apps in the background, I blocked them all.

Can you tell me if I have to change the phone ?

Contributor
lakimbee

Please anyone with a fix ? This happened 4 times yesterday. I let the phone and when I came back I was unable to unlock it. stuck at black screen and I have to do a reset to turn on the phone

Advisor
muneebma

There are reports that Portico release fix this issue. Please do a phone reset from settings after you have upgraded to portico.

For others who do not have Portico update should learn to live with this issue till Microsot/Nokia releases firmware update.

Registered Member
atpham1234

Hold power button and reduce sound button does works for me!!!

Contributor
lakimbee

I did have the portico update but the problem is still there

Contributor
namdanog

Re: Lumia 920: Cannot unlock phone (black start screen).

I have the same issue with a Singapore variant of the Nokia Lumia 920 (Starhub). Black screen, completely unresponsive and must be reset. The worst thing is not being able to rely on my alarm!
Contributor
namdanog

Oh by the way I also have the Portico update, so the firmware upgrade does not resolve the issue.
Registered Member
TdcTaz

I have the same problem, 2-3 times a week it just goes dead and only a reboot will get it back. This is so unacaptable and worse no repsonse from Nokia on the issue.

If something is not done then Im forced to go back to my old phone, it may have been ugly but atleast it worked!!

GadgetGuy

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list! as the samething just happened to me this morning.. previous occurences (last time was 3 months ago) I was able to turn the phone off (even the screen was black the backlight would come on evident by the glowing keys at the bottom) but now had to soft reset. T__T as it was utterly responsive oddly enough when my colleague called my phone, it rang but there was no vibration or sound from the L920.

I'm begining to think its window phone o/s issue as it blacked out when resuming to the windows store (took a long time too causing my screen to time out hence black out completely).Therefore it is linked to the way multi-tasking is handled but from the other posts it seems there maybe more to it..

I'm glad my friends didnt see it happen otherwise I'd never live it down. damn Iphone addicts.

Edit: added ",it"

Registered Member
NellBot

Finally!! Some useful information! Thank you!!
Registered Member
920NW

Same goes to me with a Malaysia variant (AVAXX).Even do a hard reset still not working at all...Argghhhhhhh!!!
Registered Member
jijokurian

same happening to me also in india, phone stucks, blank screen after unlocking, happening mor than 10 times a day. after rebooting getting a white screen with full of grains