Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 920 LTE immediately/constantly resets/re...

Registered Member
SteveWeb

Re: Lumia 920 LTE immediately/constantly resets/reboots

This method worked for 1 of the handsets so I got excited it would work for the others but no joy. Tried with both TM and Orange SIMs.  both boot the Lumia fine and I can lock the network speed to 3G. Putting the EE SIM back in and rebooting though and the problem is back again. 

Have now got 3 replacement SIMs on order to see if that makes any difference.   Really frustrating for what is otherwise a great phone?

Advisor
Riley_QC

I had exactly the same problem and mine wad only fixed with a replacement SIM.
Registered Member
kyrkesmith

I had this, and fixed it by putting the EE SIM into my old phone (a Samsung Omnia 7), making a quick call and leaving it in there and on for about ten minutes. After that, returned it to the Lumia 920 and it's working perfectly (with 4G). Initially I had the problem where the SIM was Invalid (got it from Phones4U) and did a SIM swap at the EE store, which introduced the rebooting thing.

Registered Member
tjmytton

3 replacement EE SIMs and 3 replacement phones later my Lumia 920 was still suffering from the constant reboot cycle, ready to give up I tried one more method.

I removed my EE 4G SIM from my Lumia and placed it into my girlfriend's iPhone 4 (Orange). It registered the SIM with 3G and I began calling, texting and surfing the web (using 3G).

After roughly 10 minutes I placed the SIM back into my Lumia and unbelievably, it worked. No reboot cycle, it simply recognised the SIM, with 3G and 4G connectivity and I've had no problems since. I can only assume there is a problem surrounding the registering of the EE SIM, something which doesn't seem to be possible through the Nokia. I've also seen this problem occur with the 820 too.

Registered Member
Wyrm

I got a Nokia 920 on Monday from EE - but they sent a Nano SIM which didn't fit. Two days later I got a new SIM from EE (after having been told it would only take a day) and that caused the phone to constantly reboot... for about 15 minutes then the phone locked and wouldn't respond to anything. Then it died completely. Was told to go to an EE shop where they'd sort the issue, but the guy in the EE shop said that what I'd been told was incorrect and recommended cancelling my EE contract and reverting back to Orange!!!

The phone may seem good from the specs etc, but they evidently have a major fault which means they are useless.

I'm cancelling and probably moving to another provider and an HTC phone instead.

Registered Member
Wyrm

Oh, and I was also told by EE that there is an issue with registering SIMs over the phone with Nokia devices and that EE are no longer doing that - you have to go into a store to get it registered! The guy in the store said that advice was rubbish. Who do I believe?

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

It seems to me anyway that EE have a problem registering the sim on 4G causing the phone to constantly reboot. The workaround seems to be to use the sim in a phone without 4G forcing it to register using 3G. Once registered, you should be able to use it in a 4G device. Find a friend with a 3G phone which takes the micro sim. A Lumia 800 or 710 would be possible phones. Insert the sim, register and then put it back in the 920. The phone should stop rebooting if my theory is right. 

Counsellor
hillsrob

Summary and update on my case:

1. Original Lumia 920  from Phones4U online with original SIM - Phone showing "Invalid SIM" for 5 days

2. SIM replaced by Bristol EE store - Phone continuously rebooted until the battery went flat.

3. Handset exchanged in Kingswood Phones4U store - New phone continuously rebooted.

4. New SIM shipped out by Phones4U online - Phone no longer rebooted but displayed no service for several days.

5. SIM swapped by EE shop in Cribbs Causeway- Phone rebooted continuously.

6. Handset exchanged at Phones4U Cribbs Causeway but SIM (supplied in step 5) not installed awaiting confirmation from EE that it had been registered on the network.

7. Confirmation received from EE support that the SIM had been registered.

8. SIM installed and phone continuously rebooted.

9. After more than 3 weeks of running around and paying for support calls, contract with Phones4U cancelled.

10. New contract signed with EE at store in Cribbs Causeway - walked out of store with working Lumia 920 :smileyvery-happy:

Moral: NEVER ... and I mean NEVER .... get a phone online. Get it from a store and don't accept one that isn't setup up and working.  If they say it will take 48 hours to connect, just walk away.

Paraprin

My boyfriend and myself both upgraded our phones to Nokia Lumia 920 on monday 31st December 2012. We have both left other networks (Vodafone and O2) to take up new contracts with EE.

My boyfriend notified his network, got his PAC code and has set up his phone and is working perfectly fine. I, on the other hand am still seeing this 'invalid SIM' message on my phone.

I have had this message on my new 920 for 2 days now. I have spoken to EE and spoke to a lovely operator called Leanne who said she had received 4 other phone calls just today with people experincing the same problem as myself. Leanne had taken this issue up with her 'Level 2 Supervisor' who has looked into finding a solution and has informed me all I need to do is update the software on my phone for the SIM to work. This software could be found on the Nokia UK website.

So for the last 3 hours I have been searching the web (and this forum) for this 'software update'. I cant seem to find this anywhere! Does it exist?

I have also tried all the other tips and tricks listed in this forum, including swapping sim cards with other devises including swapping my new SIM with my boyfriend's SIM and the same error occurs regardless of which handset is being used. I have changed the 4G setting to 3G and have tried rebooting the phone and putting the SIM in the phone more carefully etc.

Where do I go for here? Do I need a new SIM? Should I go back to Phones4U in Bristol Broadmead? Or do I need to go to the EE store? Does this software update that lovely Leanne told me about exist?

Please help!

Advisor
Riley_QC

Hi Paraprin, I'm sorry for your troubles. What you need to do is take your phone and SIM back to Phones4U and ask them to do a "SIM strap" on the SIM with the problem. This will clone your SIM details onto a new SIM. This is what fixed mine and I had the same problem as you. QC
Advisor
jccrawfo

After a week and a half without a working phone and after a replacement phone and 3 new SIMs, I've discovered why this is happening (at least on EE in the UK). After days of tests and going around in circles with clueless EE support (although to be fair they were extremely nice and happy to keep trying!) we finally found the problem and solution.  The reason is that some SIM cards from EE don't correctly register your phone number until they receive a call, and WP8 has a bug that causes the phone to crash and reboot in a loop when reading a SIM without a phone number. 

To be clear this has nothing to do with Nokia or any other hardware- this was happening on my phone, several new Lumia 920s I tried, an HTC 8X, and Lumia 820.  This is an issue with WP8 and the SIM, not your phone.  If you put the SIM in a non-WP phone (I used Android) and look at the associated phone number in the 'about' section in the settings menu, it will say 'unknown' or something like that. 

The way to fix this is to put your SIM in a non-WP phone, receive a call on that device, and reboot it.  Rebooting it after receiving the call is crucial as it seems the number won't 'stick' to the SIM until you do that.  After you reboot it should now have your number displayed in the 'about' section in the settings menu. Then put the SIM back in your powered down WP8 phone and turn it on.  My phone switched to GSM mode which seemed to mean that it wouldn't go above 3G but when I disabled and then re-enabled 4G it worked.

Problem solved!  Let me know if this works for everyone else.

Contributor
iamrupert

Had the same constant reboot issue. Got a replacement sim and nothing.

Found this forum and put the sim in a 3g phone. 

Made and received a call from the 3G phone.

Switched it back to Lumia 920 and sorted!

Great forum. Thanks Nokia and all those who have helped guide. This once was going to boil my blood... :smileylol:

Registered Member
WP8920

That method worked for me too!

First I went to the EE shop and they tried their ee sim in my phone - no problems. They gave me a new sim and said to wait for 2 hours for it activate - still exactly the same though, constant rebotting.

I tried jcccrawfo's method, putting the ee sim in another handset (galaxy ace with the sim outer to make it bigger again) made and received calls to another mobile, browsed the web and rebooted the galaxy ace. My phone number was then visible in the 'about' section. (wasn't earlier)

I then returned the ee sim to my 920 and all is good! 4G signal too!

Thanks jcccrawfo

Advisor
jccrawfo

Happy it helped! Out of curiosity is this still happening for anyone after the Portico update? If so, seems Microsoft hasn't fixed the bug yet.

Registered Member
Andyt82

Put your sim card into an unlocked / ee/ t mobile phone. use it for a couple of hours. text ring surf etc.

then put it into your lumia and itll work!

I had such hassle with this issue but its OK now :smileyhappy:

Advisor
Stinker

My 920 reboots sometimes twice a day and also shuts down while charging which is really strange because you can't turn off a windows phone whiles it's charging. I will turn back on automatically. But my phone is off when I get it off charger in the morning.
nada48

thanx a lot for your help putting the sim in a different phone and making couple of calls done the trick best advice all day , i think t-mobile technician should read this sites all the time. thanx again:thumbsup: