Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 920 LTE immediately/constantly resets/reboot...

sonic78

Lumia 920 LTE immediately/constantly resets/reboots

Brand new unit on EE 4G (i.e. LTE), EE dispatched 2 faulty sim cards, the 3rd sim worked however with the sim in the phone it: boots up => displays the home screen (live tiles ect) =>  after about 3 seconds => freezes => reboots => back to step 1. 

It's can do this all day long if I let it, it won't work with the sim in it.

What I've tried

• Hard reset
  • Firmware reset with simcard in phone (settings -> about -> reset)
  • Firmware reset with simcard out of phone phone (settings -> about -> reset)
  • Putting sim in after boot, OS works fine but states 'Invalid sim'
  • Turning off 4G (via this hack )
  • Putting the sime in another phone, works fine in my unlocked iphone 4 (on 3G, not LGE)

I've requested a replacement from EE and am on the waiting list for a new device. 

Anyone else had this problem?

Anyone else figured out how to fix it?

Anyone know of a firmware update?

It's a total shame I love the phone, but it's not much good if it doesn't make calls or is wifi only.

:smileysad:

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 920 LTE immediately/constantly resets/reboots

Sounds like a fault with probably the sim reader in the phone and it isn;t reading the sim properly. You should bring it back to EE  for a replacement or have it looked at by your local Nokia Care Point. You can locate your nearest care point usimg the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

mpaps

Hay mate

I had that exact same problem. I bought the 920 last saturday the Sim they gave me turnt out to be invalid.So I got them to send me a new sim, I inserted into my 920 then it started doing exactly what you described above. When I tried other orange and tmobile chips the phone worked perfectly fine.

In the end I got EE to swap my phone today. I've put the same chip back in the replacement 920 and its all working like normal now ;-)

So go get your 920 replaced mate

Contributor
sonic78_1

Thanks for the info mate, that sounds exactly like my situation. I too tried a friends Orange sim in the device and that worked fine. Just the 4G sims form EE don't work.

I've already ordered the replacement but there are no stock, so I'm on a waiting list. 

again : :smileysad:

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I have a feeling your EE sim will work fine if you set the highest connection speed to 3G instead of 4G, but that's not the point.

Contributor
sonic78_1

cjlim wrote:

I have a feeling your EE sim will work fine if you set the highest connection speed to 3G instead of 4G, but that's not the point.

The thing is, you can't change your connection speed if the phone restarts immediately, and you need the sim in the phone to set this setting. Well, the network speed option (3G or 4G) isn't available with no sim in the phone. The hack i mentioned above does allow you to set the default speed (3 or 4 G) but that didn’t work.

Good news however, I decided to try one last time. I removed the sim card, and peaked inside. I noticed a black tray like attachment. WIth the phone facing you as if you are using it, this is to the right of the sim slot. I poked the sim removal tool at it to ensure it was firmly placed. It wasn't, in fact I could easily poke the sim tool under it and it lifts out, well almost out. Its slides out like a tray. I slid it out gently, placed the sim back in the sim holder, placed the sim holder on the tray and slid everything back in. It now works.

I still feel this is a massive design fault. I’m waiting for the replacement, if it’s happened already, it may happen again 1-2 months down the track. But in my case it is now fixed, lets see for how long.

Advisor
Riley_QC

Hi sonic78_1,

I'm glad you were able to fix your phone. I have exactly the same issue and would like to try your fix but don't quite understand what you did.

The black tray-like attachment, is this not the SIM tray? I can't see any other kind of attachment other than the SIM tray. Also, there's nothing to the right of the SIM slot other than the headphones jack.

Can you please clarify?

Thanks.
Advisor
Riley_QC

Hi sonic78_1,

I did eventually find the tray you were talking about but unfortunately, your fix didn't work for me.
Contributor
sonic78_1

Riley_QC wrote:
Hi sonic78_1,

I did eventually find the tray you were talking about but unfortunately, your fix didn't work for me.

When I slid that tray out, i just placed the sim holder on it, and by way of pushing in the sim holder pushed that in too. I didn't push that in first.

Hope this helps.I suggest order a replacement phone.

Advisor
Riley_QC

I tried that too. Thanks for responding. I made a YouTube video demonstrating the problem in hopes of raising awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnqS9F-qEE
Registered Member
butlerat

Having exactly the same problem now - White Lumia 920 from Phones4U on EE.

Was having problem sending messages so was advised to get SIM card replaced. After doing that the Lumia 920 reboots :smileyindifferent:
Counsellor
hillsrob

I have exactly the same problem. I received a Lumia 920 from Phone4U on Sat 10th Nov and at first it was showing "SIM Invalid". I waited 5 days for the SIM to be registered. Phones4U said they didn't work on Sunday and therefore the 48 hours excluded that! I called them every day before taking it in to my local shop in Cabots Circus Bristol who sent me down the road to the EE shop. The manager there was very helpful and I left the shop with a new SIM, new number and a phone that was continuously rebooting as you describe. He said it would probably take a few hours to sort itself out on the network. After another 4  days it was still doing it so I took it into the Phone4U shop in Kingswood Bristol which is near to where I work. They put me on the phone to customer support who acknowledged that there was a problem and offered to release me from my contract but I like the phone and don't want anything else. I am now waiting for a solution to be found which they say will be soon and will probably be a software update. From what you describe it sounds more like a mechanical issue. Interestingly I noticed the same thing where a little metal tray comes out with the SIM holder. I pushed it gently back in but it didn't fix the problem in my case. 

Advisor
Riley_QC

Hi hillsrob,

My issue has been sorted out with a new SIM. I took my phone to the store last night in the hopes of getting a replacement but a they asked if they could try a new SIM first. They cloned my SIM details onto a new one and it worked. My phone now boots up normally.

I hope you get yours sorted out.
Counsellor
hillsrob

HI Riley_QC, Thanks for this. It looks like the problem is something to do with the SIM or the holder. I've also seen mention elsewhere of putting a bit of paper under the SIM in the tray to help it make better contact though I haven't tried this. I'll give Phone4U another few days and then I will demand a full refund. Problem is, I got a free Noika 360 speaker with mine and am promised a free wireless charger after 28 days so I'm reluctant to start again. So far they have refunded my first £46 months rental but so they should. I haven't been able to make a call!
Advisor
Riley_QC

It would be a shame if you had to give the phone back. I feel the same way as you, there's no other phone on the market that I wanted.

If I were you, I'd take it to the store along with your SIM and ask them to do a "SIM strap" (I think that's what it's called) and test the new SIM with your phone.

I got the wireless speaker too. It's amazing! My wife wants to kill me out of jealousy! :smileyhappy:
Counsellor
hillsrob

[ Edited ]

Yes that little speaker really rocks. I use it as a PC speaker or connected to my old N8 via bluetooth to play music when I'm working.  You can even take it camping as it has it's own sleeping bag  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Lumpy

[ Edited ]

Guys, I had the same issue this weekend. My old T-Mobile SIM worked fine, the new EE didn't. The fix was ringing EE and after a discussing with a few people there they checked the SIM number and they had the wrong ones enabled, they removed the old SIM and put the new one, put back the SIM in the phone, powered on and it worked (first activation didn't, I had to call again and they fiddled again with the numbers). Definetely is because the 4G SIM not beeing registered.

Regards

johnnyg99

I had trouble with my 920 on EE.

First they sent me a duff sim card which couldn't be read.

At first EE wouldn't send a replacement claiming it was old firmware..

had to go to EE shop to prove it was faulty.

The second SIM card caused the looping re-boot problem.

I spent hours looking for a solution

EE again claimed a faulty handset. (Phones4U had a bad batch..) Since it had worked fine with an Orange 3g card I didn't believe it.

Went back to Phones4U where the (very helpful) guy 

1. put my SIM card in a new 920

2. put an EE SIM card he knew worked into mine.

Both Worked!

Then we put my SIM card back into my phone and it booted no problem.

there is something to do with the intialisation of the EE SIM cards.

The phones are fine. The issue is with EE and their poor service is just compounding the situation  

Registered Member
SteveWeb

I ordered 4 Lumia 920's for business contract.

First 4 all had reboot problem as shown in the YouTube clip posted earlier.  Well actually, 3 had the problem, the 4th just keeps saying "Invalid SIM".

Am currently speaking with EE to try to resolve.  They sent another 4 replacement handsets yesterday.  Same problems displayed on all, 3 rebooting, 1 complaining of Invalid SIM.  I suspect the SIM may not be activate/registered and wouldn't be suprised if once fixed I still get the same issue.

Took one of the phones into an EE shop.  Sales guy put his T-Mobile 3G SIM into my Lumia and the phone booted fine and found the network.  Put my EE SIM into Salesman's Galaxy S3, phone detected SIM fine and were able to make outgoing calls from Galaxy using my EE SIM.

Bought a replacement SIM from the shop and activated that but same problem.

Took one of the replacement handsets that arrived back to the shop again and this time, when using the salesman's TM SIM, set the Lumia to 3G mode.  Put EE SIM back in and phone booted fine and then reset back to 4G mode.

However, since tried this fix on the other handsets and it doesn't work.  Both boot fine with a T-Mobile SIM in, let you set phone to 3G mode, but then with the EE SIM back in them go back to the endless reboot cycle.

8 handsets, 1 working, and even that was after a fix which you wouldn't expect to have to do for a "flagship" phone.

Phone is lovely and the only reason I am moving from Vodafone to EE but beginning to think it is more hassle than it's worth.

According to EE support, Nokia are aware of the issue... shame they seem to be doing chuff all about it.

Registered Member
Mubsm

Ok my friend has had the same issue, he's been sent out 4 phones and 4 sims and all do the same "reboot the phone". I personally think its to do with the SIM cards and not the phone as I've put my nano ee sim with a micro sim adapter in each of them and they work fine.

We have however got it to work by do the following.
We put a standard 3G micro sim from tmobile into the nokia, that came up and registered as ee (tmobile and orange are ee).
We then went into settings - mobile network and changed the highest data speed to 3G, popped the sim out and inserted the ee 4g sim. Did this with the phone on. It gave an "invalid sim error" and we then rebooted the phone and it came up with reception.
We have gone back into settings and to look at the data speed and it says 4g, however we are yet to see a 4g signal but the phone works.

Hope this works for you.

Mubs