Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Lumia 920 + WP8.1 = Battery Problems?

Contributor
dwor

Lumia 920 + WP8.1 = Battery Problems?

Hi everyone,

I updated my (UK, SIM free) Lumia 920 to Windows Phone 8.1 (Cyan) yesterday. To be clear, this is the official update and not a developer-only update.

Since then, the battery life is appalling - it drops from 100% charged to 20% in a couple of hours, in light use or standby. Enabling 'battery saver' mode seems to make little difference. The phone is now virtually useless.

Both charging and in normal use, the handset is also uncomfortably hot, even through the official Nokia rubber case.

I have tried using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, which only re-installs the updated version of the software (3051.50009.1424.0008).

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? If you have not yet updated, I would strongly advise you to wait until this is resolved.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Glen5

For the record I also have a Lumia 920 with battery troubles.  The problem was there before but since Cyan and 8.1 the battery drains much much faster.   I also have turned off bluetooth, an location services.  Most of my apps are not allowed to run in the background (although that is more difficult to control with 8.1 than it was with 8.0).   I have LTE service in Canada from Rogers but rarely use it.   Wifi is usually turned off unless I am at home and it is connected to my own wifi service.   At its worst, the battery could drain completely in a couple of hours.  That is if I'm browsing the internet or using some other apps.   I know ahead of time when the trouble will begin because the phone gets very hot in the top right corner.   I have to think that it is not the battery that is the problem here because the battery is pumping out a lot of power to heat it up like that.    I don't use Facebook Messenger (apparently that was the problem on another thread).    One solution is the soft re-reboot.   By holding the power and volumn up buttons for about 10 seconds the phone restarts.   It will then begin to cool down and if I don't use it, the battery usually drains at a normal rate.   A regular shut-down and restart with just the power button has no effect.  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vesperillo

I have experienced exactly the same. Updated my Lumia 920 to Cyan yesterday. Worked fine and quick afterwards. Very hot, but many apps were auto-updating afterwards putting the CPU to work, so that was to be expected.  88% battery left when I went to bed. Left the phone on the wireless plate to recharge. Got up just in time this morning to see 0% battery life and the device rebooting...

Trying to use the AC-adapter to see if it makes a difference.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dwor

Hi guys,

Well, it's sort of reassuring that I'm not the only one suffering, but I'm sorry to hear that you're also having the overheating and battery issues.

I spoke with Nokia yesterday, and they say there is no (official) way to flash back to 8.0. I once bricked an old N95 doing something similar, so I'm not going to risk that with my 920. Their response was to take the handset to a Care Point, but my local Care Point claimed that there was nothing much they could do about software update problems.

I saw a post online claiming that the heat and battery issues settle down after a few days, once the phone has finished its internal housekeeping after the update. As of this morning, my phone is still warm on standby and the battery is down from 100% to 49% in a couple of hours.

Here's hoping that Nokia/Microsoft can sort this out before we all sell our handsets and move elsewhere...

D.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

We see these posts every time an update is released and every time it seems people need to hear the same thing.

• The update process will remove apps as required to make room for the update files and the unpacking/installing
  • Once installed the apps will be re-installed
  • This has a huge impact on both CPU (warming up) and battery (will put the battery calibration out of whack).

Just give the phone time to set up after an update, keep it on charge while doing so, preferably on USB charge as wireless will probably not charge fast enough to keep up. Once complete give the phone a few charging cycles to re-calibrate battery usage and restore the indicators to their proper (and more accurate) readings.

Most of all don't panic.. There's nothing wrong.

Obviously there will be the odd case where an issue may occur but these are the exceptions really. Keep in mind that places like Nokia Support Discussions will be where people seeing these issues come to ask questions, rant or find answers. So don't assume this is a general or structural issue as there's far more people out there not having issues and/or knowing what to expect and not being bothered by it.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vesperillo

Yes, I believe you are right, Paul.

Having used the AC-charger a couple of days now, the phone is clearly behaving much better. Battery life is definitely coming around again.

I suppose one could say the phone had been ordered to do very heavy work in a short amount of time and simply needs a few days to recover again - as we all do :-)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dwor

[ Edited ]

Dear Paul.

Thanks for the advice.

Two days after the update, and my phone is still losing battery power at an alarming rate. I charged the handset overnight to 100%. After two hours, I was down to 20% again.

Just to reiterate, this is only since installing WP8.1. I never encountered these kinds of problems before, when the phone would make it through two days of light use without needing a charge.

I have tried disabling almost every background app (there were only a few, like Bing News and Sport) in the hope of salvaging some kind of functionality from the handset, but this is really totally unacceptable from a major manufacturer like Nokia. I don't think that users should be expected to put up with days without a functioning handset or completely re-configure their phones.

I'm not going to panic, but I wouldn't call this "nothing wrong"! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
saurabh03

Hi All,

I am also facing the same problem after updating my Lumia 920 phone to Cyan . Whenever I switch ON my data uses, the battery starts to drain at very high rate. Also, the phone starts to get warmer. 

I have already tried all solution 

1. Soft Reset

2. Full Reset.

But stll I do not see any improvement.

Please suggest what to do. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vesperillo

Yeah, I'm starting to get worried again..

Right now my L920 is losing 10% battery an hour - without any use whatsoever - no active apps..:smileyfrustrated:

Have gone through 4 complete recharging cycles now.

Starting to suspect some heavy background action to be the culprit.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
devil1980

Mine Phone started to overheat as well usually when internet connection is on . Have firmware 8.1 cyan any solution? It's overheating above camera.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

Issue seems to have three aspects. (1) the battery saver software seems to return erroneous results; (2) too many background tasks activated (settings now in battery saver entry in settings); (3) indeed increased consumption.

Giles
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dwor

Hi Devil,

Yes - I have the same problem: it gets extremely (worryingly) hot above the camera on the back, which also makes the screen hot to touch when using the phone or making a call.

I have taken my Lumia 920 to a local Nokia Care Point, who flashed their own version of the 8.1 (Cyan) software onto the handset.

Unfortunately, this has made no difference whatsoever. For a week now, the phone runs very hot and goes from 100% to 20% battery in a couple of hours.

I don't see any official recognition of the problem, nor any proposed solutions. Regrettably, I think I will have to sell the handset as I cannot wait three months for Nokia to make my phone "mobile" again!

dwor.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

Dwor: Nokia is now aware of the issue and I believe a fix to various Cyan problems will come earlier than what you believe. 

There are official Nokia tools to flash the terminal back to WP 8 Black, but I believe Nokia doesn't support these being used by customers. The tools are:

Nokia_Care_Suite_5.2.92.1418

Nokia DataPackage Manager 2013.7.5.msi

UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg

There are tutorials on the web, but it is not advised to use them if you are not proficient in these matters, and it is at your own risk.

Giles
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dwor

Hi Giles,

Yes, I'm aware of the various tools for re-flashing my handset with an older version of the software (although I haven't done it before with a Windows Phone), but I don't want to run the risk of bricking the handset by corrupting the software.

My handset is now with Nokia for a "repair". I'm not sure what they can do with it, but I'll let you guys know in 7-10 days! Re-flashing the phone at the local Nokia Care Point with their update package made no difference, so hopefully Nokia can roll back the software or find some other solution.

Cheers,

dwor

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

Dwor: Hi! I was able significantly to decrease battery usage by disallowing battery usage by certain applications that either remain resident and/or access the internet in the background. (Earlier version only allowed blocking background internet access).  The setting is now the "usage" tab in settings/battery saver/.

Giles
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sucram50

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have a 920 as well

Just after going with the update I noticed the battery was being drained initially this was the various apps doing updates and stuff that only they know what

Later I went to >Settings >Battery saver >Usage and looked down the list of apps and the usage, then I flicked the screen sideways to the usage bit and then refined it to the Show apps that can run in the background. Found it was a humongous selection.

I also found location sucked juice from the battery like a vampire, and that the emails were joll y naughty, by default the new email handling stuff had it set to "based on my usage".

So, what did I do? Went through all 6 email accounts setting them to what I wanted. Some manual some 30 minute and some based on usage.

Then in > Settings > Battery Saver >Usage I went through and chose what I run in the background, Skype, WhatsAP, Battery Saver, Calender,  and One Drive. The rest I set to not allow running in the background after tweaking, I am pretty damn near normal drain.

I think by tweaking you can get the phones to work ok again, the update is super and makes the phone even better.

This was a subject of much discussion on the Windows phone site.

Hope this helps

Marcus

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

Sucram50: As indicated in my previous post that's also what I did, with a good degree of success.

As I noted the previous background tasks setting (which was separate from battery saving) worried exclusively about applications that accessed the net, so as to save data usage. But the new utility, which is now in battery saving, worries also about those applications that stay resident ("in use) and drain the battery.

Giles
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sucram50

I was surprised at how much the mail degraded it as well. Based on my usage didn't work for me at all.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

sucram50: You're right, but personally I do need regular downloading of my mail (without pictures, which I download only when I need them).
Giles
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gilesrm74

PS: On the previously raised issue of the checking of application updates which is quite a drain on the battery, personally I set it to "wifi only". As I use wifi essentially at home, where most of the time my 920 rests on its induction charger, this very much solves the problem.

Giles
Please use plain text.