Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 920 bluetooth problems

Registered Member
OldTrout

Lumia 920 bluetooth problems

I have two problems on my Lumia 920, both are bluetooth related: -

1. When connecting to my car (Audi A6), no phonebook information is downloaded. This worked fine with my previous Samsung Windows Phone 7.5 handset.
  2. When connecting my Sennheiser MM-450 bluetooth headphones, the phone locks up completely for approximately 10 minutes, during which time it will not even respond to the power button! The phone then carries on as if nothing was wrong. The phone also regularly reboots in the middle of playing a song. Both problems onlu occur when using my bluetooth headphones. Neither of these problems occured with my previous Samsung Windows Phone 7.5 handset.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Lumia 920 bluetooth problems

I have my Lumia 920 paired and working with phone book with both our cars and also working perfectly with all our current bunch of headsets. Since there are no changeable settings as such for bluetooth, you could try resetting it first. Remember to backup your data before hand. If the reset does not resolve the issue then you should have it checked out at your local Nokia care point. You can locate your nearest care point using the link below.

www.nokia.com/support

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Checking the database of tested devices for the Audi A6 there isn't a single Lumia phone listed. However the database could be out of date by quite a bit. 

http://microsites.audi.com/ngw_assets/mobile_db/en_UK/index.html

There is a "how to" guide on the Audi website to troubleshoot connection problems too.

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a6/a6-saloon/audio-and-communications/mobile-phones.html

Ray.

Counsellor
piran

[ Edited ]

My Lumia 800 pairs with a 2yr old TomTom Go LIVE 1000

satnav and transfers its phonebook. TomTom's Bluetooth

(BT) hands free works perfectly incoming/outgoing in our 

Audi A3 - then supplied specifically without BT fitted.

The Lumia 800 also successfully pairs with my wife's Audi

A1 which arrived with Audi's hands free Bluetooth (Audi-HF).

Her own phone (Doro 610) proved more problematic with

the 'new' Audi-HF (partly the reason for specifying the earlier

A3 purchase without BT). FWIW it would successfully pair

with the old TomTom satnav. Attempting the pairing would

lock up the phone's OS - completely. I then searched for

but otherwise found an undocumented emergency recovery

procedure and later contacted the manufacturer with the bug.

Doro admitted the issue citing an old firmware version... the

phone was a 'single day old' but its f/w version still needed a

return to the manufacturer for an update to its BT algorithm.

Annoying. After the f/w update it no longer locked up pairing

to the Audi-HF Bluetooth. The Bluetooth specification has a

wide remit... occasionally this is not beneficial.

Another issue: the Doro's phonebook ONLY transfers to the

A1's Audi-HF if stored 'on the phone' as opposed to storing

the numbers on the SIM. Not sure if this is relevant to the

Lumia 920 but I have documented it as it may later bite...

Registered Member
Aeneas1966

Same problem here. Phonebook not transferring to new model Prius Wagon with Touch Pro system.

Also BT Audio (music) behaves eradically, Sometimes song restart every 5 seconds with no sound...

Clearly Nokia and/or Microsoft has some fixing to do... (both function worked fine with iPhone 4)

Contributor
Eric49

[ Edited ]

I too have a problem with the 920 and connecting to my car's (2006 Audi A8L) bluetooth. The phone will connect and calls are heard through the car's stereo.  However I cannot control and phone functions from the car.  No phone book, no making calls, etc.

I have reset the car's telephone settings and also have reset the 920. If there is no fix for this problem happening soon (like within a week), the phone is going back and I will get a different brand.

My wife's 900 has no problems connecting and making calls from the car's bluetooth system. I just switched from an iPhone and it had no problems connecting either.

Advisor
arman215

i do have the same problem, the 920 does not connect to my car 2006 - 2006 BMW 525. The Lumia 900 that i had before had no problem connecting and sharing the phonebook with the car. I went to store to check if i got defective unit, but after trying with the display unit with the same results it was clear that it's either 920 or windows 8.

After comparing Bluetooth profiles both 900 and 920 support i found the following differences:

1. Profiles supported by 900: A2DP 1.2, AVCTP 1.0, AVDTP 1.0, AVRCP 1.0, AVRCP 1.3, GAVDP 1.2, HFP 1.5, HSP 1.1, PBAP 1.0, RFCOMM 1.0

2. Profiles supported by 920: A2DP 1.2, AVRCP 1.3, GAP, GAVDP 1.2, HFP 1.5, HSP 1.1, OPP, PBAP 1.0, SDAP, SPP 1.0

So the following profiles were supported by 900 but not by 920:

AVCTP 1.0, AVDTP 1.0, AVRCP 1.0, RFCOMM 1.0 - 900

So, to any one at Nokia, if you really care for 920

Please this is a deal breaker. I love Nokia phones, and I love windows phones but it i can't use my phone in my car just like i was using during the last 6 years, i will switch to whichever phone works..

Can the unsupported profiles be the reason why we all having this problem?

If yes - why? how come they are suddenly unsupported when they were supported on the previous model - 900?

Who removed those Nokia? Microsoft?

Are they going to get back with some update?

Please get some answers here ASAP. I predict this thread will grow fast if many users having the same problem and i believe many will. It was release here in US yesterday, so i for example only have 12 more days to decide whether i keep it or return for a phone with a more common Bluetooth profiles.

drewOne

I am experiencing issues with Bluetooth on my 920 and connecting to the new pioneer car stereos. I can no longer control any music playback on the phone via the car stereo. This behaved as expected with the Samsung focus, HTC Titan and HTC titan2. Nokia, it would be great if you could fix this in a firmware update soon.

Contributor
ironmantexas

The Lumia 920 resets randomly all the time, and not just due to bluetooth. You are just noticing it when using bluetooth. Many of us can't even set up voicemail or make a call. We haven't even gotten to bluetooth pairing yet, because the phone won't work long enough to get to the car with it.

There is a major bug in the software which needs to be fixed ASAP. It is not a bluetooth problem specific to you, if it's reset. A bluetooth problem would simply drop that connection or not pair at all, it would not reset the whole phone.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Just to correct your allegation. Only yours and perhaps a few others reset all the time. Mine and none of my friends do. 

Registered Member
B4Malevolent

I have this similar issue as well.  My 2011 Jetta and 2012 GTI both connect and work, yet i get about a 5 to 10 minute freeze when initially connecting.  Phone responds to nothing.

Counsellor
ekw88

I have a BT issue with Audi A5. Lumia 800 worked flawlessly.

Music can't always be played, and when it does sometimes the title/artists/album does not show up.

It is very slow in taking BT commands, next/previous causes my lumia 920 to freeze sometimes.

Please fix this! I'm really starting to hate WP8 (owned two WP7 devices) with this and MS killing zune player for syncing.

pary

same issue for me... lumia 900 and samsung focus wirh with the bluetooth in my 2006 bmw 330ci... lumia 920 cant... i need it to work... nokia needs to fix this asap

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

All my nokias work with our current Bmw's with iDrive with full phone book support. I did however have problems with my previous E60 5 series which needed a firmware update before it worked with my Nokias. I had to convince my bmw dealer to do the update who insisted that the only nokia compatible with the system was the 6230i and wasnt going to waste his time. 

Advisor
arman215

Re: Lumia 920 Bluetooth problems

What you mean by "All my Nokias" which models?

Also which firmware upgrade are you talking about? My E60 has no problems with 900 but can't connect with 920.

I checked at this site and it tells me that I have  the latest firmware installed based on the car's WIN number?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/bluetooth/bluetooth_software_update_vin.jsp

Can you please be more specific?

Advisor
arman215

I also tried the 920 with recently purchased 2012 TomTom VIA 1535TM 5-Inch Bluetooth GPS Navigator.

Lumia 900 had no problems connecting and sharing the phonebook with the unit for hands free calling, works somewhat similar to BMW iDrive...

920 on the  other hand can only use TomTom as a dummy hands free speaker, no phonebook, just answer the calls.

So definitely  some things are missing from 920 which if not fixed ASAP will cause Nokia a LOT of returned units.

I for one am going to try  the  HTC 8X tomorrow, if it works I will drop Nokia, if not I  will drop Nokia and Microsoft.

Since I need a phone with a good camera  then I guess iPhone 5 is  the one to try next.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Current nokias I am using are N8, N9, Lumia 800 and Lumia 920. Unfortunately I can't be more specific than to say that my E60 was updated with 2008 firmware before it started working with my then N96 and subsequent N97's. Never had any problems connecting with E70 and F25. Just last week I paired boith to the Lumia 920. Worked first time. I had to select on the phone  whether or not I wanted to transfer phone book during the pairing. 

One thing I will add is it takes a while for the phone book to download, especially if you have a large phone book. I normally leave it 10 minutes or so before I check the address book. Not sure about the Lumias, but with the symbian phones, checking too soon used to interrupt transfer so nowadays I just leave them be for a while just in case. 

Registered Member
Dave1024

My Samsung Focus Windows phone 7 paired with my Alpine  CDE-HD137BT radio without issues. It displayed song titles and allowed the radio to control the phone playback with the forward and back controls.

My Nokia 920 will pair OK and play music, but will not display titles or allow control of the phone with the radio controls.

Multiple pairing / clear sessions and multiple on / off sequences have not helped.

The 920 says it supports AVRCP 1.3, which is the requirement. Any Ideas?

Contributor
abbjr

The Nokia Lumia 920 bluetooth will pair with my 2008 MB ML550 with no problem and it will stay connected; however, the phonebook will not download.  I just got the phone yesterday so I did try a complete reset and it did not correct the problem.  I have not had an issue with several other mobile phones pairing with this car and downloading the phonebook contact list (Sony-Ericsson, Blackberry, iPhone) -- this is a first.  I can only suspect it is the phone and I hope Nokia comes up with a firmware update FAST!!!

MadOx

I ran into a slight Bluetooth issue last night while hooking my Lumia 920 to a Hyundai Genesis coupe.  Best way to get results for first-attempts:

1. Clear all bluetooth phones (only old ones you no longer have) from the car's memory.

2. Turn on the pairing feature (listening mode active)

3. Open bluetooth menu on Lumia and wait for the car's name to show up.  If no name within 20 seconds, then back out of the bluetooth application (on lumia) and reopen; this forces the phone to recognize the car.

4. Enter car's pair code into phone and wait... (yes, it can take up to a minute or two.)

When the phone pairs to the car, turn the car off and turn it back on before testing.  There are several methods and workarounds to get the phone pairing to work, but if for any reason the lumia fails to connect the car listed on the phone has to be removed first (press and hold with finger until delete option appears.)

Hope this helps.