Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 920 heat and battery issue

Contributor
Chien

Lumia 920 heat and battery issue

[ Edited ]

I just wonder if anyone noticed that on the top part of Lumia 920 is getting extremely hot after about 15+ minutes of game play or web surfing via mobile network and such? My friend has Lumia 900 and his phone is totally fine when both of us doing the same Internet surfing andd compare to our settings. I had everything turned off and his Lumia 900 actually has brighter screen screen and everything was on.

Also, i have tested the battery life as well. i had everything turned off and sometimes it stays in 100% for a while. However, sometimes it goes from 98% to 83% in an hour even though it's always in standby and i only wake it up to check the battery life. If i have the batter saver on, it is completely fine. However, if i turn the battery saver off to receive push notification such as emails ...etc., sometimes it just drain the battery from accessing to the Internet in the background.

(NFC turned off, wifi turned off, background tasks all blocked, basically everything on the Nokia faq how to save or make battery last long has been done) I was testing the difference between battery saver on and off.

Also, first thing i did after i got this phone was uninstall all AT&T software on the phone.

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Lumia 920 heat and battery issue

It is normal for the phone to become warm when using it to play games or any other intensive activity but if you feel it is too hot you can get it checked at you nearest Nokia Care point.

http://nokia.com/support

Ray.

Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Regarding battery life, battery would drain if there are apps running in the background so make sure that unwanted apps don't run in background by pressing the back button as many times as necessary until the start screen or app menu is displayed for those apps.
Contributor
Chien

perhaps you didn't see i compare with my friend's Lumia 900? Lumia 900 does not have any "WARM" issue, and it's not warm, it feels like CPU sink
Contributor
Chien

I have all background tasks always blocked :smileysad:
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

As previously suggested, if it you feel that it is abnormally hot then you should get it checked out at your local Nokia Care Point regardless of the reasons for it. The phone should be at most warm with usage within normal parameters..  

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Chien wrote:
I have all background tasks always blocked :smileysad:

That may be so but you may still have apps open and running in the background because they were not closed down after you last used them. To check this, press and hold the back key untik the Task switcher opens. Here you can see if any apps are running. If there are no open apps you will only see a smaller version of your start screen.

If there are apps running then follow the advice given by Donofworld which is to repeatedly tap the back key until all apps are closed.

Ray.

Registered Member
EvoLuTioNHeaVY

I feel exactly the same way about my Lumia 920.  My friend's 920 (white version) doesn't seem to experience the heating issue.  However my RED 920 with very minimal use will cause the phone to heat up like it's been used non stop for hours. My phone will die while watching netflix or playing a game "while charging".  None of my previous phones (Nokia, Samsung. HTC, iPhone) have ever felt as warm to the point that I feel concern if there's something wrong with it.   Went to at&t to express my concerns & exchange it especially since my friend's 920 doesn't seem to experience the heating issue. The manager refused to exchange my phone.  Finally agreed to exchange it but would have to charge me $36.00 restocking fee... **bleep**?!   He said he has 3 phones and all of them get warm.... poor customer service.

Registered Member
Philidup

I've also been having an issue with heat and battery life on my black Lumia 920.

I've disabled background tasks, change mail to fetch once an hour, disable NFC and disabled my GPS, but it did not help.

Today I switched off my 3G and foced the max connection to 2G and my phone lasted the whole day. Please try that with your phone and see if it helps?

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

You may want to turn off Location in the Settings too, as apparently that's left on to consume power even if no app is actively making requests to use the GPS.

Also, there were two updates pushed for the games Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars, a few days ago.....I have played the games since and the phone no longer heats up while playing.
Registered Member
Philidup

Last night I uninstalled Skype from my phone. Did a reboot and today with 3G on my battery is lasting an entire day!

I did not get the sync issue as WPCentral did, but it sorted out by battery

http://www.wpcentral.com/skype-and-constant-syncing-problem-windows-phone-8

Contributor
symboli

Skype is the problem because Microsoft comes With Battery saving idea but its draining, just uninstall the Skype and phone is fine and also update Nokia drive its available now!

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Please be aware everyone that Skype for Windows Phone is a Preview release only, so hopefully all issues will be sorted out soon and a stable final version released to the masses.
Registered Member
Rafro

I have now Lumia 920 yellow for one week and today it started to heat up the top od the phone. I believe that disabling of applications on the background od localisation should not be recommended as option, the phone shouldn't heat up this much at no times
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Rafro wrote:
I have now Lumia 920 yellow for one week and today it started to heat up the top od the phone. I believe that disabling of applications on the background od localisation should not be recommended as option, the phone shouldn't heat up this much at no times

If your phone feels excessively warm then you need to find out what is causing this. What applications have you recently installed prior to the heating issue? Have you left any apps running in the background? 

Ultimately, you may need to have your phone inspected at a Nokia care point. Link for your nearest care point is in my other post at the top of this thread.

Ray.

Registered Member
icequeen1300

Yeah, I just noticed mine is heating up wayy too much and too quickly for my liking... especially when I am using the net... never heat up this quickly with my old samsung wave. was an oldie but a goodie... 

Registered Member
bilbul81

[ Edited ]

My yellow Lumia 920 too. Too much heat on top part of the phone, especially if I browse web pages, nokia drive, taking pictures with flash lights turned on. Heard that AT&T version have received updates, wondering if the update rectify this heat issue. Anyone care to share the experience...

Counsellor
Bommi

Another Yellow Lumia 920 here.

I have Battery Saver enabled, NFC off, BT off, mail syncs every 30 mins, no other apps running in the background. All background apps blocked that can be blocked. Basically all the features that would make this a smartphone. 

Things I know that will heat up the phone quickly:

Making phone calls; a 10 minute call heated the phone and the call disconnected. Unknown if the heat caused it.

Browsing Reddit with Baconit.

Playing Wordament or Logo quiz. These are simple games and should not put a strain on the phone.

Watching Netflix. Streaming videos is probably the most data transfer intensive thing I do.

Basically any app that uses data transfer heats the phone up to temperatures that truly cause me to worry. I don't believe a game like Wordament needs to move that much data, so the heating seems to happen if there's even minor data transfer activity.

With the increased temperature comes high battery drain and application/Operation System instability. Some apps may be badly coded and crash. That's understandable, but they should NEVER have any effect on the OS itself. 

I believe there are issues with antenna usage and application sandboxing that allows the OS to be effected from application crashes. I would like to think all of these issues could be fixed with a OS update. 

@NokiaHelps at Twitter told me that an OS update is on it's way and when I asked what it would do and when it is launched they responded: "No exact information yet but it will be available in early this year. It will improve the performance of phone."

I am taking my phone to be looked at by Nokia Care, but having browsed this discussion forum for a few days I am clearly alone with my issues. Right now I would like to see an official acknowledgement from Nokia and Microsoft on these heat, battery and stability issues and what they intend to do about them.

I am still hopeful that Lumia 920 will one day be a superb phone. Today is not that day.

Mobile Visionary
donofworld

@Bommi wait for portico software update which should arrive on or before Feb month this year which has actually solved many of your issues according to users reports on wpcentral forum.
Counsellor
Bommi

Unfortunately my phone bricked while trying to do a hard reset so it's Nokia Care for me.

There have been people on this forum with portico already installed and still report heating/freezing issues, so I'm not exactly holding my breath that it would be the patch that puts WP8 issues to rest.

I would also like to see the change log of portico compared to previous version, I'm assuming developers are notified at least of this, how about we mere mortals?