Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Lumia 920 - intermittently shuts off / shuts down ...

Registered Member
doc_v

Re: Lumia 920 - intermittently shuts off / shuts down for no reason

Nokia / Microsoft need to comment on this issue soon.  The 920 is the flagship for both and this is a serious flaw.  Those trying to support the new win 8 phone platform and nokia's efforts are having a hard time justifying it with this type of miss ... a phone turning off all the time and having to be hard booted is not a minor issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrwaug

i spent about a month thinking thing thing sucks, and i should have gotten a iphone even though i hate apple products. it was randomly shutting down and having a hard time making it through the day on a full charge. i had dleleted most apps and ran on battery saver mode all the time. I finally decided to get a replacement phone, and wow, i am impressed.no more shutting down or locking up and will go 3  days a charge with the battery saver turned off and as many apps as i like. Great phone,just a few too many lemmons being shipped out.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gahbmwm5

[ Edited ]

Yikes.....same here with AT&T Nokia 920....................................random freezes......reboots of the system and I keep it very clean....very disappointing Nokia............................

I utilize this phone for my business/personal needs................totally unacceptable......!

There should be a  hopefully reason for this terrible experience from a Nokia Rep..................soon!!!!:smileymad:

btw: New 920 unit purchased from AT&T Corp Store...USA....

Nokia Lumia 920 Glossy Red
Please use plain text.
bigsmp

After the hard reset didn't fix my problem, I contacted Nokia support, who had me send in the phone.  They said they fixed it, but their report only specified tests that were run and passed.  They shipped me back the phone and it shut down again the next day.  

I'll be contacting Nokia again via phone when they open up.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bogdan83

I have the  same issue. The phone shutts itself off for no reason.

I tried both a soft and a hard reset and still nothing. I hope the people  at MS / nokia are working on this because it's ridiculous for us as customers and it's emabrassing for them

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mspilmanjr

I recently purchased my Nokia Lumia 920 from an AT&T store (within the last month), after several days of having the phone, I woke up from having it next to me not on the charger in a "bricked" state.  I did the reset by holding the volume down and lock button for 12 seconds and the phone reset fine.  Within the last week, I had the phone on the wired charger overnight and woke up to it being in the shutdown state once again without being able to be turned on except for the reset option.  Then last night, I had the phone on the wireless charger and it did the same thing, I woke up to have to reset the phone again.  I have the same problem over three separate conditions.  I've never had the phone just shut down on me in use. It would seem that overnight only am I having this problem. My find your phone feature is disengaged and the only thing that I have noticed that I have changed recently is that perhaps I had my wifi not turned on; however, I cannot verify whether that is true or not.

I'm going to try and contact Nokia tomorrow, I honestly don't wish to do a full reset.  Because I would have to sync with my skydrive so I could save everything that I would need to, and apparently right now that's what Microsoft has recommended to help alleviate the "other" storage from filling up.  Woe is me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Decisive

I tried the total factory reset yesterday - made the problem worse.  Instead of freezing once every three days, phone has locked up 3 times in the past 24 hours.  Am replacing the hardware, hoping another unit will behave better.  

AT&T says they have NO reports of this problem.  Very hard to believe.

Please use plain text.
Dinkumschnauger

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my unlocked Lumia 920 in the UK - it keeps shutting down and in order to turn it on again I have to do a reset. This happens roughly four times every 24 hrs! That is a lot of resetting and makes the phone unusable.

Please someone official comment or help with this problem, it is driving me nuts and is unacceptable!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Take it back to place of purchase or Nokia care.

Please use plain text.
copiertec

i had the same problem. solution.....take it back and have it replaced:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Myciel

[ Edited ]

Got the same problem as everyone else.. Got the phone back in December (from Orange in Poland), and since then it happens at least once a day.. Portico didn't help, disabling the Find my phone options neither. I tried reinstalling all the apps one by one, nothing.

Oh and one thing noone seems to have mentioned, in my case every time after turning it back on with the soft reboot button combination the clock resets to Sept 2012, 6:40sth am.. so that makes it even more annoying (apart from the obvious consequences).

All that's left is to return the phone, but can anyone pls tell me what will happen to all my apps and stuff if they replace it? I don't want to lose anything (especially buy all the apps again).

Thanks

NOKIA DO SOMETHING GODDAMIT!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ice05

I'm having the same issue here. I got my Lumia 920 for a week now and every single day, it shuts off by itself. Data connection is off but wifi is set to turn off when screen is locked. Im going to try to turn off wifi and data tonight and see if it will shutoff by itself.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ice05

Update:
first night without shutting off! Wifi and data were both turned off. I also uninstalled weather app. Looks like there is some issue with the wifi and wireless charging. I noticed that my phone shuts off overnight after using the supplied wireless charger. Or maybe combination of both data,wifi, or weather app that is running in the background.
Please use plain text.
Andri_Popa

Hi there,

I got my Lumia 920 with T-Mobile subscription. After one week i experienced the first shut-down/off. i went back to the shop i bought the telephone and the vendor pressed simultaneosly on the volume button and the power button for about 10 seconds. the phone started again with no loss of data, only different date and time.

i thought this was the first and last time but in the last two days i had 3 shut-offs, even i deleteted all the applications and maps i downloaded to exclude a possible bug from apps.

Does anybody has an advice how can i solve this problem as is getting anoying. i am very dissapointed with this Nokia although the overal reviews were very positive.

Thanks!

Andri Popa

Please use plain text.
Andri_Popa

I am surpirsed that nobody from Nokia replied to our complains since the first post: November 12, 2012!!! We are at Nokia Support forum and nobody from Nokia brings any solution or at least a comment that they acknowledge and they are working on a solution... Indeed not a good sign about Nokia. How do they want to face competition with such a poor product? Shutting off randomly is a huge issue!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
digihill

I have the exact same issue with this 920. I have alrerady taken it to the EE store who sent it in to repair that took 2 and a half weeks! - All the did was reset it. I could of done that. Of course it now exhibits the same problem. I called EE, they put me through to someone from Nokia called Neil. He eventually started to suggest that I might have dropped the phone which I absolutely have not. It has shown this problem from day 1.

Clearly, Nokia absolutely refuse to accept that there is a pandemic problem with this phone. I told Neil about the amount of posts on their own forums (not just this thread) about this same issue.

All i got was silence from Neil.

Nokia have made a great phone here, but if it's so unrelaible, it might as well be a door stop.

Nokia, -  pull your finger out of your back side and do something about this.. Like yesterday.

Andri_Popa wrote:

Hi there,

I got my Lumia 920 with T-Mobile subscription. After one week i experienced the first shut-down/off. i went back to the shop i bought the telephone and the vendor pressed simultaneosly on the volume button and the power button for about 10 seconds. the phone started again with no loss of data, only different date and time.

i thought this was the first and last time but in the last two days i had 3 shut-offs, even i deleteted all the applications and maps i downloaded to exclude a possible bug from apps.

Does anybody has an advice how can i solve this problem as is getting anoying. i am very dissapointed with this Nokia although the overal reviews were very positive.

Thanks!

Andri Popa

Please use plain text.
coffeebean

[ Edited ]

All,

I have an unlocked Lumia 920 (Rogers) and was having the same issues with Portico (Rogers and Euro Dev 821) firmware.  I was arranging to have it sent back to Canada for replacement. I flashed the Rogers variant and noticed that I was not having any issues.  I am not back to the Euro-Dev 821 version of the new 1308 firmware and am having no issues whatsoever.  I was hoping someone else could confirm that this 1308 firmware corrected the problem but I'm not seeing anyone commenting just yet. 

In review:

• My phone turned off/bricked (technical term  ;-)  )  with NFC and traditional wall charging via Micro-USB several nights per week when charging
  • My phone is a Black, Lumia 920, Rogers Variant, Unlocked, Purchased from Negri Electronics
  • My phone experienced issues when running Portico firmware - Both Rogers and Euro-Dev 821
  • My phone now works as it should running the 1308 firmware - Both Rogers and Euro-Dev 821

Finally,

I can confirm that I have begun to see "L" in certain areas of the United States while running the Euro-Dev firmware on my Rogers Pentaband variant - Lumia 920 (RM-820).  I can also confirm that the device is associating with T-Mobile on the 1700mhz band by putting the device into test mode.  This is further confirmed by the 14mbps download and 3-5mb upload speeds I'm getting.  This is independent of the RM-820 Rogers variant or the RM-821 Euro-Dev firmware versions.

For those of you wishing you had the RM-820 "Dev Build" you may want to try flashing the RM-821 Euro-Dev firmware on your unlocked Rogers Lumia 920.  I can only speak for myself but I see nothing different from the build device except for the low-level product code being the RM-820 Rogers code.  The about Windows Phone states "Developer Device" and it works perfectly.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove references to an unauthorized software mentioned which offers unauthorised copies of Nokia device software for download. We do not allow this tool to be discussed on this forum.

Please use plain text.
coffeebean

Correcting some typo's/making some clarifications:

" ..I flashed the Rogers variant and noticed that I was not having any issues.  I am not back to the Euro-Dev 821 version of the new 1308 firmware and am having no issues whatsoever."

I flashed the Rogers variant of the 1308 firmware and noticed that I was not having any issues.  I am now back to using the Euro-Dev version (RM-821) of the new 1308 firmware and am having no issues whatsoever (other than having to install a non-english keyboard to enable Internet Sharing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pbhush

Model -->  AT&T build of Lumia-920

Time since I have had the phone -->  3 months

Problem --> intermittent, random shutdown( have to do a soft reset)

frequency -- > at least once in two days

level of frustration --> very very high

I still have respect for Nokia  but this is heights. As someone pointed out, 4 months since this discussion thead and so many complaints but it looks like the idiots ( both Microsoft & Nokia) are sitting ducks with no **bleep** clue as to why this is happening

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tulaner

Same problem here. Noticed when live tiles stop working, the shutdowns stop for a few days. Then it shutdowns. Now tiles work but it will shutdown several times or more a day! Extremely disappointed there is no answer to this. I would hate to send in my device and ho without.
Please use plain text.