Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia 925 randomly freezes and needs soft rese...

NickNL

Lumia 925 randomly freezes and needs soft reset

Hi all,

I have a Lumia 925 for about 2 months which I love, except it has one major issue. And this issue has occurred since purchase. 

It will randomly freeze and need a soft reset to get going again. This happens multiple times a week and is really annoying. It usually happens when the phone screen is off and I do not know it is frozen until I try and use it again. This makes the alarm function unreliable as most nights it will freeze and therefore the alarm won't go off. It also usually happens when the phone hasn't been used for an extended period (+6 hours) but some days will happen multiple times in only a few hours. After I soft reset the device, the time and date are wrong and need to be manually set again.

The weird thing is that I was recently on holiday to USA for 2 weeks and it didn't freeze once there, whereas it freezes multiple times here in the Netherlands where I live. Otherwise it is completely random as to when it freezes.

Things I have tried

- Install Developer Preview (now removed again after latest recovery)

- Update to Cyan

- turning off glance

- checking sys apps up to date

- hard reset

- flashing a different firmware with Nokia Care Suite

- running Nokia Software Recovery Tool

It is the Vodafone 32GB version. I have tried flashing the basic NL variant as well with no joy.

Am starting to think it is hardware, but not sure if I send it back to Nokia if they will find the fault as not sure it will freeze when they test it. Any advice before I try?

Thanks
Nick

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Lumia 925 randomly freezes and needs soft reset

How old is your sim card ?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
NickNL

The simcard is about 3 years old.

To clarify, when I went to the USA and it didn't freeze, I didn't change the sim card, just kept my NL one in my phone.
Please use plain text.
NickNL

I have now replaced the simcard with a new simcard and device is still freezing. I have now started logging when the device freezes with the new simcard. This is really irritating as I am missing important calls

27/08/2014 - 10:05
28/08/2014 - 11:57
29/08/2014 - 16:54
29/08/2014 - 17:18

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Try this and see if it does anything. Goto Settings>mobile+SIM>Sim Settings>Highest connection speed. try another setting. If currently set to 4G, try setting to 3G instead.

Please use plain text.
NickNL

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work as it froze again shortly afterwards (changed from 4G to 3G)

Switched to 3G after advice on forum - 30/08/2014 - 11:59

Froze again 30/08/2014 - 13:23

When it freezes, what I really mean is that the screen is black and device won't wake up and requires a soft reset. Is a repair the next step do you think?

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sebrose

I am having exactly the same problem. It seems to have got worse over time, especially since upgrading to 8.1

Did you ever resolve the issue?
Please use plain text.
NickNL

Never got the issue resolved but it only happens every 3-4 days now. Pretty much convinced it is hardware related but can't be without my phone and not convinced the repair centre will pick it up as it happens now only infrequently, which is a pity as it has put me off Nokia a bit

Please use plain text.