Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Marks underneath screen of Lumia 820

Registered Member
adi01

Same problem here. Received phone back from Nokia after 2 weeks claiming they replaced the faulty component and yet the same marks are there? Says it all really, why Nokia are no longer a major player in the market. I've warned Phones 4 U about this problem and I going to try and get this repaired again.
BMGFmobileIT

Hello all, I am new to the forums here.

I have rolled out over 1140 Nokia 920/820 to our employees and have recieved 3 reports of the Nokia 820's with the same symptoms described.

You can clean the screen and the smudge/impression is not visable. If you rub your hand or face across the screen the impression/smudge appears. If you clean with a liquid solution such as phone kleen it will bead up around the impression/smudge. It is under the screen between the glass and the LCD. It shows up better under light.

We are returning to our service provider covered under Nokia's 1 year warranty. I did not think to attempt a screen shot. I do not think that the screen shot will show the defect adequately. but here goes..

BMGFmobielIT
BMGFmobileIT

I have added some screen shots to my post.
BMGFmobielIT
Registered Member
AyazSayed

Hey Guys,

I have the same issue with my Nokia Lumia 820, its something in middle of the Glass and the Display.

Tried reporting it to Nokia Care but they showed "No Care":smileysad:

Infact they were treating me as if I have done any Crime reporting them.. Very bad Experience.

Its clear that the phone was not droped or into the liquid, so the Warranty is there for any manufacturing defact.

Its a brand new phone, 10 days old.

I think Nokia should overtake this..

Contributor
wimdows

Re: Marks underneath screen of Lumia 820 (and the 620 too)

Hello forum,

My brand new Lumia 620 has the same problem: weird markings on the screen that appear to be part of the original screen coating. To me they look like something interfered with the screen coating during the production process (drops, fumes?). They are not scratches or etchings. The markings appear to be the same material as the coating, not a foreign substance.

Maybe quality control has been dozing, but more likely the markings do not show up when the phone is handled with clean hands or (microfiber) gloves. When thoroughly cleaned the screen appears perfectly smooth an unmarked.

The markings do show up during everyday use. The markings appear to pick up dirt and grease more easily (specially on the edges) are more difficult to clean. They also show up when the screen surface is wet (i.e. when condensation forms after breathing on it.

To me one of the reasons for buying a 620, were it's looks (somewhat like a seventies, star trek toy).

The blemishes do detract from the phones appearance, and are therefor somewhat of a disapointement.

I can see that Nokia, making something of a comeback, can do without hickups like these. So I guess they will be happy to answer a couple of questions in this forum.

So, can Nokia maybe shed some light on what these markings are or could be?

And what would Nokia advice be for buyers who encounter this problem (bearing in mind the fact that I would not be very happy about having to send in a brand new phone back in for a repair procedure that might take weeks)?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

wim

Contributor
rohansekhri

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue with my L920. I think there is a coating of some sort which tends to get removed with more and more usage of the phone.

I play a lot of temple run, so the mark or smudge which has formed is more towards the center of the screen. I don't have big hands so its like an inch or so above the Windows logo. The other area I have come across is the earpiece. Again, that comes under a lot of skin contact, and has the same issue.

For people pointing it as something between the glass and the screen, in my opinion, are facing some sort of a different issue.

Here are a few things that happen to me as well:

• I clean it with a microfibre cloth, it gets cleaned
  • I clean it by rubbing hard against my denim, it gets cleaned
  • there is no touch problem at all

The screenshots shared by others replicate my issue. One of my friend, who has the same 920, is more of a side-of-the-fingernail user. I could see some horizontal nail marks in abundance across the most tapped areas of his screen too.

Now going by this link, there should not be any fingerprints on the screen. Well, if i try to press my finger in that hole created due to constant use, I actually end up having a very light fingerprint, as compared to other areas. No smudge, nothing!!

It would be better that Nokia gives us some heads up on this issue!!

Contributor
wimdows

I do not think the markings are caused by a coating wearing off.

My phone is just a few weeks old, and has not seen heavy or repetitive use, nor are the markings in the most used areas

Besides, they stay the same size, even after more use. Furthermore they are not shaped like rubbing marks.

And, again, the markings are completely in invisible after are good cleaning.

Contributor
wimdows

Oh, I agree with the observation that the markings are not underneath the screen. They are definitely on the screen.
Contributor
rohansekhri

Well. I was reading about this on some other websites too and came to know that its the oleophobic coating that starts to come off. Google or bing Lumia 920 screen problems and check the first 2-3 links. Scroll and you will find a post by some guy who has mentioned that the coating is very easy to scratch. And it cannot be thick coz the purpose of super sensitive touch would then be defeated.

my conclusion in this regard is that its the oleophobic coating that is coming off. But if your phone's touch is suffering as a result of that coating, please get it replaced. To my astonishment, the touch in that "hole" is actually a little better.

we all have gorilla glass on our phones which is itself scratch resistant, so we need not worry much. But, the mark looks ugly, when the screen is off.

I may be wrong, in my observation, so would like all members to correct me if you have a different observation.
Contributor
wimdows

That sounds perfectly plausible. If the thickness of the coating is measured on the nano scale, the damage is invisible to the naked eye as long as there is no dirt on the screen.

I think a solution presents itself here!

I would not mind at all attempting a repair like this myself if a) I do not have to send in the phone, and b) does not cost me anything.

So, we could all send our phones back to Nokia to have new screens fitted. But that would be very annoying to us the customers (who are otherwise pretty happy with their Nokia, it seems), and quite expensive for Nokia (having to pay for all the replacement screens, the repairs and postage and handling).

But would it not be a lot easier and probably cheaper, if Nokia struck a deal with the Fusso people, and have them send a free (mini-)package of their wonder liquid to every disgruntled Nokia owner out there?

Anyone to second this proposal?

Regards,

wim

Contributor
rohansekhri

Wim,

i think that seems to be the best solution. I was a nokia employee 2 years ago and still have contacts inside Nokia. Most of my known people have not seen any such wear and tear of that coating.

A similar kind of coating is available from 3M. You can get that on the internet, but it may end your warranty. Thus, getting the phone coated again seems to be the best option.

an open question, for how long will the coating work
Contributor
wimdows

Appreciate the supportive repsonse, Rohan. Just trying to be constructive :smileyhappy:

And as you say: I have ever  seen markings like these on any of the electronic gadgets I have used in the past decade and a half or so (including an IBM workpad, two Palms, several HTC's, a Motorola, several Siemens, a cheap Chines tablet, and more). Not after a few week, not after many years of use.

This is not part of the normal wear and tear (after two or three week?!) I would expect from a modern electronic device.

It's outright weird and annoying enough to be spending my time writing posts in a customer support forum.

And, yeah you are probably right about Fusso being a stop-gap measure.

Contributor
rohansekhri

Here are some more findings since i was suspecting it was the oleophobic coating coming off, which repels skin oil,etc:

You should have an oily skin to carry out this test :smileywink:

1. wipe some oil from that oily skin area, using, your index finger

2. gently touch the affected area [where the coating is not there - hole]

3. Repeat step 1, if you don't have enough oil on your hand lol

4. gently touch the non-affected area

5. Now gently wipe out the two areas with clean non-oily fingers 2-3 times till you see that particular hole being clear

Expected results: in the hole, you won't see any oil. Yes, you won't see any residue there, whereas in the coated area you will see a smudge

In the end, I'm just confused!! Can Anyone from Nokia Hardware Labs can answer this? Hope it isnt a coating, that has to come off with time to reveal the oleophobic one. I may sound stupid here, but can it be possible?

I'm now planning to post the link of this whole thread on Nokia's facebook page!

Contributor
wimdows

Well, since Nokia is not showing any signs of responding in this forum, posting on FB might not be such a bad idea.

This is not an easy problem to figure out to repsond to. Replacing all the affected screens (for free of course) might be costly and cumbersome. The Fusso solution I proposed, will probably not deal with the issue effectively.

After thinking about this some more, I have come to the conclusion the smudges might be annoying, but they are not hindering te workings of the phone in any way, So, I am wondering whether I find the problem serious enough to accept habing to do without my fully set up 620 for a couple of weeks.

Maybe some sort of compensation is in order in stead...

For example: when I bought my phone, I was planning on getting an extra battery cover (in yellow) in due time (especially since I found out the white cover that came with my phone gets smudgy pretty quickly).

Now if Nokia would be prepared to send me the yellow cover for free, I would be happy enough to never ever mention the smudges again...

Regards,

wim

Registered Member
mmzzuruguay

it´s happened to me my phone (lumia 820) has the same marks...so i bought a screen protector and the marks dissapeared at all (at least i didn´t see it anymore).

Bye

Registered Member
elyl

Did anyone ever get their screen replaced for this issue?

My wife's 820 has the same mark on it as the pictures - almost exactly the same shape.  The feel of the screen in that area is off as well.  Your finger glides in the unaffected area, but seems to rub uncomfortably on the affected part.