Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Narrator won't start

Advisor
simnix

Narrator won't start

Hi,

My phone (Nokia Lumia 920) has just update to 8.1 and I cannot use the Narrator, when I try to switch it on a message comes up displaying the following:

Narrator can only be used while your phone's language is set to English (United Kingdom). You'll need to change this in both Settings > Language and Settings > Speech.

The thing is, both Language and Speech are set to English (United Kingdom). The only thing I can see is, when you are in the settings list: under the word Language is English and under the word Speech is English (United Kingdom), please see the attatchments bellow. Could the fact that Language (English) be stopping me.

I am nearly blind and being able to use this feature would be very useful.

--------------
If you invent a better mousetrap, someone else will invent a better mouse.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Just guessing here, but I think when you go to Settings > Speech you'll find you need to (re)download the speech files to be able to use it after the update.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

davidberman

[ Edited ]

Hi. I've seen this before.

The solution is to set your Language and your Speech to English (United States), and then you'll be able to set Narrator to On.

(The error message is simply dead wrong: it should say "English (United States)" rather than "English (United Kingdom)". Narrator only works with English (United States) at the present time. I've reported this bug to Nokia/Microsoft.)

- David Berman (accessibility expert at davidberman.com)