Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contacts t...

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

[ Edited ]

From version 3.6.x whish is now available as a release download here Nokia Suite has a new feature which allows for an easy transfer of contacts, calendar and photos to your Nokia Lumia Windows Phone via SkyDrive.

Due to some publications on tech blogs and in the general media the suggestion was created that Nokia Suite directly supports Windows Phone now. This is not correct although Nokia Suite now offers an easy and fast way to transfer contacts, calendar and photos to your (new) Nokia Lumia Windows Phone.

Here's how this feature works;

• Connect your Nokia S40, S60 or Nokia Belle phone to your PC using the USB cable.
  • After Nokia Suite is started and your phone shows as connected select Tools>Upload to SkyDrive and follow the on screen instructions. If you do not have one yet you will have to create a Microsoft account (formerly Live ID) which has a SkyDrive attached to it. You can create such account here.
  • You will now have to reset your Nokia Lumia Windows Phone. Doing so will erase all content from the phone and return it to it's 'out of the box' state. Make sure you have synced any media files to your PC(zune) or Mac(Connector). You can sync these back after the reset. Installed (paid) apps can be restored after the reset using the app Reinstaller from Marketplace.
  • When finished reset your Nokia Lumia Windows Phone using Settings>about>reset your phone.
  • Go through the device first use sequence and when asked enter your Microsoft Account used to save the content from Nokia Suite. When the setup has finished your will find your contacts, calendar and photos have all transferred to your Lumia. These will now also be available through your Microsoft account online. 

It is important to note this transfer will only work to the Nokia Lumia at the Device First Use sequence (after a reset). If you have your Lumia setup it will not look for or sync the information copied to SkyDrive through Nokia Suite.

SMS message can not be transferred directly, but you can export all messages in Nokia Suite (Messaging>File/Export all text messages) and open the resulting Comma Separated File (.csv) in Excel or OpenOffice Calc to create an Excel sheet (.xls file) this can then be copied to your SkyDrive and opened from the Office app. You could also use a tool to create separate files from the exported .CSV file and copy all of these to SkyDrive.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: New function in Nokia Suite beta to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

@Kosh

Thanks for posting the work through, although users should be warned that say in case of 808 uploading photo back catalogue can take a long time!

Copy ContentCopycontent2Finished StoringCopycontent3Sky Drive

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
steve7

Re: New function in Nokia Suite beta to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

thanks for that, 

just trying it now...

will I regret upgrading from my trusty e71.:smileyfrustrated:

If a smart phone is smart, why is mine so dumb :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
steve7

yes that worked for me, at least the names have worked, will try calender ect later.
If a smart phone is smart, why is mine so dumb :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Edited the initial post because of the official release of this version of Nokia SUite. It is no longer a beta version now.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: New function in Nokia Suite to transfer contacts to a Lumia Windows Phone

Hi,

Many thanks for your comments !

I use the Lumia 900, waiting the future Lumia 920 (superb definition !)

I was wondering why Nokia did not propose to use the usual Suite application, which is very useful !

I'm surprised Nokia is proposing to transfer all contact via Bluetooth (!) while i have over 600 contacts !!!

And what about all the rest on my N9-00 (?)

Where is the Agenda (?)

What about all other data such as the Notes.doc, Word, Excel, PDF, Photos (as an electronic engineer, devoted to Vision systems (Image analyses for industrial quality control) i need to store specific photos in different folders.

Anyway, i will try Nokia Suite 3.6x and hope to succeed !

Regards,

Jean

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi jeanlou,

Thanks for your feedback. 

From the current version of Nokia Suite you do not need to use Bluetooth obviously, you can easily transfer contacts, calendar and photos to the SkyDrive associated with your Microsoft account and you can also copy Office documents (not protected) and PDF files there and they will be available to your on your phone once they are there.

You can organize and sort your SkyDrive anyway you like and use the desktop SkyDrive app to have a live synced copy of your SkyDrive locally. You can even create links (need access to a Command Prompt for that) to folders on your system and the source folder will also sync. When you open a Command Prompt you can type mklink /d <link> <target> where link is the linked folder in the SkyDrive sync folder and target is the original folder (both on your local PC).

Here's an example;

(source)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Kosh,

Thanks for your fast reaction ;-)

I defifitely will follow your advice.

By tha way, why do i need to LogIn each time i open the forum ?

I'm an old timer, member of Nokia since they exist, and when i open Nokia Suite, they know me without logIn !

I hope Nokia willo be clever enough to complmete the Suite App so i don't need all they EXTERN connexions ?

Best regards,

Jean

Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

@Kosh,

Could you please tell me which fields from contacts directory of Symbian phone are imported to Lumia's contacts? All of them?

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Hey Kosh,

Currently I am using an E7-00, that uses my server and microsoft exchange/activsync to upload all contacts, emails, notes calenders etc, so that everything is sync'd everywhere, will this still be avalable in the 920 when released, would you know by any chance.
Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

banlec wrote:

@Kosh,

Could you please tell me which fields from contacts directory of Symbian phone are imported to Lumia's contacts? All of them?

If only some fields of contact's record are imported then users might be disappointed if they lose some contact's details. As I know Symbian phones can store much more contact's details than Windows Phone. So, if user trusts in this functionality, certainly will lose some data (if his/her contacts directory was rich in details). Another question is how this data is mapped? From my earlier esperience with Contacts Transfer app type of phones numbers (mobile, fixed, work, business etc.) were not correctly classified after transfer.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi,
Thanlks for your comments.
But i'm frustrated to have to login each time i will use Forum, while i'm know from Nokia since..decades !
When i open Nokia Suite, it say " Helo Jean " !!!
About Lumia, i will stay with N8-00 so far, even if i have the Lumia 900 !!!
And they call it "Evolution " ???
Regards,
Jean
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SIDDHANTG

Plz upgrade the suite to be able for offlline docs transfer.
It is a serious flaw . It is frustrating that for simple transfer of a file such as.txt or pptx you have to connect to the internet :smileysad: how smart is that?????
The Symbian phone users are adapted to drag and drop over the years . Changing that will seriously affect the sales of the lumia devices.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SIDDHANTG

@kosh

Plz reply
Please use plain text.
Contributor
drsarwar

In very simple words, Lumia phones are not user friendly. Old symbian os was much more better. Nokia, instead of improving things has made every thing very complicated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

drsarwar wrote:

In very simple words, Lumia phones are not user friendly. Old symbian os was much more better. Nokia, instead of improving things has made every thing very complicated.

The application mentioned here by adrianhughes makes things much easy ( and possible) on WP8 Lumias ...With this you can transfer Contacts as well as Messages from other devices ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I second Farby on this, I was up and running from my old Nokia N8 within two minutes and the transfer was painless. Absolutely glorifyingly painless :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mwiw

Hi - I am not sure if this is the right place to ask - but can I use Nokia Suite to send sms messages from my Lumia 920?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

mwiw wrote:

Hi - I am not sure if this is the right place to ask - but can I use Nokia Suite to send sms messages from my Lumia 920?

No.. You can't do that .. Nokia Suite and Nokia Lumia 920 (..in fact any of the Lumia Series device) are not compatible with each other ...

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

I'm sure everybody understands this, but let me take a moment. Lumias are not new Symbian phones, they use the MS Windows Phone operating system. (yea I know, duh) What that means is that they conform to the MS concept of operation which is extremely web/cloud centric. They have left behind the idea that a phone is a little piece of a single PC to be cabled and sync'd periodically. It is an entity unto itself. Your data is in the cloud and the various devices, phones, tablets, PCs, connect to that data independently. The benefit to that is generally up to date data, no matter what device, and when, with virtually no user action required. The drawback is the requirement for connectivity. Not perpetual connectivity, but fairly frequent, periodic connectivity. For some the mere fact of cloud storage is an issue. That is just the way it is though.

Moving from any other platform, even older Windows Mobile ones, to this concept can be frustrating, if you weren't cloud based to begin with. The accepted way is to move your data into the cloud from the old platform, and then connect your Windows Phone to it. Again there are various ways to accomplish that. Nokia has attempted to provide some tools to make some of that transition easier. They are not responsible for, nor in a position to change the philosophy by which WP operates. Don't beat them up for how it works. If you don't like it, maybe beat them up for adopting it :smileywink:

Please use plain text.