Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 920 has an FM Radio, but it's Blocked?

Contributor
mynutts

Nokia 920 has an FM Radio, but it's Blocked?

I'm confused. A lot of people are saying that the new Luminas don't have an FM receiver's what it looks like from this post: http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=28421347 , the new Luminas do have am FM receiver.

"Nokia WP8 Lumias with Qualcomm Enabled Bluetooth 3.1 and 4.0 including BLE (fka Nokia's WiBree)

The Bluetooth hardware in the Lumia 820 and 920 is part of the SoC (system-on-a-chip) provided by Qualcomm. The specific version of the Snapdragon S4 used in the Lumia devices is the MSM8960 (dual core version), clocked at 1.5GHz. Specific Bluetooth support is provided by the WCN3660 "Combo Chip", which also provides WiFi and FM radio functionality, and is a piece of companion silicon to the main central processing unit. Both Bluetooth 3.1 and Bluetooth 4.0 are supported by the WCN3660."

Apps like FM Radio will not work on the Lumina 920 and are listed as "...not available for your device". At the same time, my AT&T branded Lumina 920 has an app called 'AT&T Radio' that is subscription based at $4.99 a month. So I'm wondering if AT&T is blocking these other apps from using the FM hardware built into the phones so they can charge for using it?

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Nokia 920 has an FM Radio, but it's Blocked?

@mynutts

Perhaps this feature is temporarily software disabled as part of ATT exclusivity agreement and will be implemented in a future update.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Counsellor
michail71

I doubt that. There are many other apps available that stream radio stations.

Perhaps Nokia decided not to implement the feature.  I don't think it's a high feature on many peoples list and probably impacts other areas of phone design and performance.

Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

I don't believe FM Radio is a feature on any OEMs WP8 device. Not sure of that, but seems the reviews and specs floating around indicate that. That implies to me the radio interface (software) is no longer a part of the Music hub, as it was with the Zune hub.
Shame really. I like the FM. Keep my L710 around just for that.

Contributor
mynutts

I'm not talking about streaming radio, I'm well aware of all the apps that allow that. I'm talking about receiving radio stations over the air, via an FM receiver that I believe is all ready a part of the hardware, as the link in my original post indicates. My HTC-HD2 has one and it's a great thing to have. There were a few times where I didn't have good/any reception, like when camping at the Eastern Shore, or at the All Good Festival where every iTard and their mother had an iPhone and completely bogged down the local AT&T cell tower. It was nice to be able to catch the weather or news. I know it's not a popular feature, but if the hardware is there, than why is AT&T charging to use it? It doesn't use any data... And lets say it didn't have an FM receiver, why would someone pay $4.99 to stream radio with their app, when there are plenty of free ones out there.

Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

I wasn't talking about streaming either. If you notice, on the two FM Radio apps in the Marketplace that reference FM radio, not a single review indicates it works on WP8, though the compatibility lists it. Several specifically note WP8 devices it doesn't work on. Even if an FM radio is a feature of a chip in the device, the appropriate drivers need to be privided within the OS, as well as APIs for programs to tap into the hardware, either as a part of the basic OS (MS) or added by the OEM (in this case Nokia). I'm just saying since there is no Radio selection in the WP8 Music + Video main list, it is likely that support for radio wasn't intended. So I wouldn't say blocked, but rather not supported, likely on any WP8. Same end result, I know.

BTW, do you believe 'AT&T Radio' is an FM radio feature? I figured it was streaming. Likely one of the first things I uninstalled during initial setup.

Contributor
mynutts

I'm not sure, but upon further investigation, it looks like it's streaming over a data connection. On a better note, in this article posted on the 11th, it looks as though the hardware is there, and as you guessed, software support was lacking.....but not for long, hopefully.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Phone-8-to-Get-FM-Radio-Support-313820.shtml

Sage
SvenJ

Well that would be really cool, whether it is MS or Nokia that does it. I would stand outside in my underwear in 30 degree weather (Farenheit) and shout hip hip hooray for that. I miss the radio on the 920, having had a 900. Like I said, I keep a 710 around, primarily for that. It's smaller and lighter than the 900 :smileywink:

Contributor
mynutts

BTW, hope you have boxers:smileyhappy:
Sage
SvenJ

I do actually. These specifically

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Travel-Boxers.shtml

They have a pocket for my Lumia :smileywink:

TMI?