Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia Lumia 520 Volume Button Problem

diljithpc

Nokia Lumia 520 Volume Button Problem

I bought my phone just a month ago and within two weeks I noticed that sometimes it's volume control is not functioning eventhough it is showing an increase in the volume number i.e; I can see the number is increasing/decreasing when I press the volume up/down, but there is no change in volume. But sometimes the volume control works perfectly.

So I went to a Nokia care center and discussed the problem with them, but at that time volume control was working fine, so i couldn't show the exact problem to them and so they didn't accepted the problem and they were not even ready to listen to the problem .The person over there asked me to take a video of the problem when it comes again.

But it is practically impossible for me to take a video everty time this happens.

This is not only my problem, many people having lumia 520 is having this problem. So where will i go to solve this problem since nokia care center itself is acting stupid and useless. Problems like this is only decreasing my confidence  in buying Nokia Products. Problems can happen to all mobile phones but the user/customers have the right to get those problems solved and customers won't wait for next occurance of the problem to take a video, like the service center person asked me to do. 

I expext a positive solution for my problem.

The nokia center's address is --First Floor,Above Indian Overseas Bank, 2/16, Tharamani Rd, Tamil Nadu 600113 ‎.

Regards 

Diljith PC

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 Volume Button Problem

hi mate, sorry to hear of your experience. if the Nokia Care point is being less than attentive to your matter, you can contact Nokia India directly by clicking the Nokia Support link at the bottom of this page.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

Hi diljithpc,

Sorry to hear about what happened. When did you start to experiencet the said issue? Do you experience this to just one specific app like when playing music or videos? How about when you're engage in a call? What have you tried so far to fix it? Have you tried to press and hold he power and volume down keys for 10 secs? You can also try to remove the back cover and then check if the volume keys are properly alligned. 

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Registered Member
theseriousone

I have the same problem, as well as, my volume bar (at top of screen) keeps on showing up and doesn't leave, even though I use my back button. I find it all too impossible to close my apps. Pls help.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Check if the volume keys are properly aligned with the back cover, sounds like one of them might be caught under it and is constantly pressed.

Registered Member
dieseljim

Same thing on my Lumia 520. Found out the volume UP button was sticking and I could not turn volume down and the phone would not back out of apps...i just had to pull the cover off and get a paper clip to pull the button back to un-stick it...unfortunately the UP volume button popped off and now I can't turn up the volume...i have insurance on the phone...so I may get a new one or have this one fixed.
Registered Member
sawa85sa

Same thing here, unless i skip to another track volume doesn't change. Than it gets locked again. Pretty annoying when listening to audiobooks with tracks lasting for 40-90 mins. Ive tried some apps that apparently solve the issue - they failed. If nobody is looking into solving this issue in considering returning the phone and canceling the contract.
Registered Member
lottytaylor1999

[ Edited ]

Have you found out how to fix it yet? Mine is doing exactly the same thing. When you're on Youtube or Nokia Music, the volume will only play on the volume it was in before you play a song or video. When I go to turn the volume up or down, the numbers move, but the volume stays the same, even when it's on zero! If this is the same as your problem, and you have found a solution, please could you let me know at **************@gmail.com, thanks. :smileyhappy:

Moderator's note: Email address was removed. It is unwise to publish personal contact information on a public forum.

Registered Member
Anywar

I just got the same problem with my lumia 520, and I don't see any solution out there that is being helpful. I JUST WISH NOKIA CAN COME UP AN UPDATE TO SOLVE THIS UP VOLUME BUTTON PROBLEM. Am in Kampala and here its worst that we have no Nokia customer care center...Also I wish Nokia acknowledges this hardware/software fault and admits...so we can just sit and wait patiently for a solution..
Registered Member
Anywar

The best solution to this problem for the moment actually is installing a third-party application. I did exactly that and am okay with it. Just go to the App store and search for volume...a number will pop up. Like Adjust Volume..I know though tedious, well there isn't any other solution to get back you volume.
I can now listen to my radio and music once again. Pheew...!!
Registered Member
srihith

i too have the same problem with my 520. i hope lumia developers to come up with an update 😡😡😡😡
paramour13

[ Edited ]

Hi, srihith.

Welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions. :smileyhappy:

This may be a result of removing the phone's back cover and reassembly after removing and/or exchanging of SIM card. The basic fix that you may try is to remove the cover and push the side key from inside of the cover to outside to make sure it is in the right position. Put the cover back and try again. Be careful that you do not touch the side keys when placing the cover back on the phone.

If in case the said basic fix did not work, if possible, try a different back cover on the phone to see if it will make any difference. If not possible, the next best thing to do is to visit a Nokia Care Point and have your phone assessed by the technicians. If there's no Nokia Care Point near you, you may book-in your phone for repair as an alternative. 

To locate a Nokia Care Point near you or book-in your phone for repair, just visit your local support page here: http://www.nokia.com/global/wayfinder/ and select your region. 

We wish you best in resolving this issue. Have a safe one! :smileywink:

Final Banner
Registered Member
vivvikv

I have exactly the same ( and more) problem. My phone will only change volume after i turn off my phone. Its incredibly annoying. Nokia should have fixed this problem by now as its May 2014 and you had a problem LAST YEAR. thats a whole year with faulty problems. 

Im planning on sending it to Carphone Warehouse. or to nokia. The automatic garentee is 1-2 years.

Registered Member
beckyh

Thanks anywar for the rescue. My volume button wouldn't turn the volume up, but with ur info of going to the app store and getting the volume app my volume is back on, thanks
Registered Member
Trixiebelle

Thank you for this.  I have had no sound on my phone now for months and didn't want to go through the hassle of returning it to contractor as they said everything would be wiped off.  Me and other people have tried to get sound on it but thought the volume button was the only way.  It took me about a minute to do this and now a phone that I can hear when people call me and message me.  No more missed calls. Thanks again.