Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 - freezing / crashing frequent...

Advisor
rmcgandara

Nokia Lumia 820 - freezing / crashing frequently - should I return it?

It seems that this is a recurring problem to some Lumias - more the 820 and 920.

I am happy with the phone generaly and the OS.

What I am not happy at all is the recurring crash / freeze. it happens at least once every day, and worst it happens out of nothing. It freezes during the night when it is on charging plate - thankfully I don't have to rely on my phone's alarm clock.

I turned off bluetooth as a lot seem to be saying it may be the cause, but surely it is not. A lot don't seem to have this problem, so basically could this phone be defective? should I return it or not. It is a good equipment but it needs to be reliable. I have never seen this happen on my iphones or on the several androids that I have owned. I would expect that it would not have happened on the NOKIA's new flagship models...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 - freezing / crashing frequently - should I return it?

It's most likely caused by an app that was originally made for WP7 or a Beta app such as Nokia Drive Beta or Skype. The only way to know for sure is to reset the device and slowly add your apps one at a time to see which is causing the freeze-up of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

this seem a bit speculative, are these apps known to be causing these problems? I will wipe my phone and see if it solves the problems. Is there a way o checking which apps are WP8 and not WP7?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

There is a little more to it than just pure speculation. Having seen others with similar issues here and issues that a few long term members of this forum have experienced, we have been able to trace a lot of problems to various apps.  Personally I experienced a freeze caused by an early version of the Nokia Transit app which has since been pulled and updated and re-released. 

WP8 being so new means practically every app for it is "beta". Personally I have taken to installing apps one at a time and leaving it for a few days to monitor the new app before installing the next. What I also do before I install anything is to do a search here to see if anyone else is experience problems with the app. 

There is nothing in the description which tells you if an app is converted from a WP7 version. I know from having seen it previously for my Lumia 800. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

rayhipkiss wrote:

It's most likely caused by an app that was originally made for WP7 or a Beta app such as Nokia Drive Beta or Skype. The only way to know for sure is to reset the device and slowly add your apps one at a time to see which is causing the freeze-up of the phone.

In my view, if this is the case, then this means failure in design - the app should not take control over the system!

Especially, if there is no way to kill an unresponsive app.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zerics

I had these resets of the phone happening either when trying to play music files or making phone calls, yesterday i tried to play music in the nokia music app, but i restarted 5-6 times in less than half an hour, after that i gave up, it worked great the day before, but the previous evening ive added a few mp3's localy to the phone, so i deleted them and this seemed to remedy the problem somewhat.

The other reboots happend when i tried to make a phonecall just after i made a factory reset, twice in a row.. after that i used a normal phone.. few hours later the phone function seemed to work again.. 

Many say it seems bluetooth related? Perhaps its a faulty sound driver?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

banlec wrote:

In my view, if this is the case, then this means failure in design - the app should not take control over the system!

Especially, if there is no way to kill an unresponsive app.

Interesting you should mention that. We were just discussing the the last day the OS isn't quite robust enough and probably needs a little more tweaking on how it handles bad apps. Also another interesting fact is some people have reported the phone getting hot when it freezes which could be an indication of the phone trying very hard to perhaps shut it down. There have also been reports of frozen phones unfreezing and going back to normal if left long enough.  

However, teething problems like thee are only to be expected with any brand new OS. We are talking about Microsoft afterall.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

well I am not a happy bunny. after having made a factory reset, no applications installed at all, and 30 min later, it froze again.
The only thing I have done was set gmail, outlook and twitter accounts.

So obviously from now on I cannot say that this is fault of an app that is not installed at this point. it could be that is one of the "system" apps, but surely it would have been tested by MS/Nokia???

Suggestions now?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Which "factory reset" did you perform?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

Settings > System > About > Reset
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

OK then it is probably not app related in your case, which leaves the sim or something else. The sim you can check by trying another sim. Are you using 4G by any chance? if you are also try setting highest connection speed to 3G just to try. If that doesn't work then it is trip to the Nokia care point I'm afraid. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

I've just ordered a new microSim from Orange. I hope it will solve it pretty please!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Fingers crossed. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

just a quick update. (although I might be cursing it)

So so far today no freeze down or anything. normally I would have 2 freezes a day, 1 during the night (rendering my alarm clock useless) and one time during the morning. As I normally left it to charge overnight on the charging plate I thought I should try the charger instead.
There were also some app updates last night.
So either this was an app related (and the updates were mainly for apps that came installed by default) or is something related to the charging plate.
I have not received my new microSIM yet.
Hopefully it will stay "alive" for another day.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sounds promising. Did you notice what the updates were? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

to be honest I can't remember, I noticed it just before going to bed last night, did the updates and went to sleep.

R
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Do you remember if your phone use to make feeble noise when you take it off the charging plate? If not, does it make that noise now?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

it made a notification sound when I placed it on the plates and when I took it out. if that is what you are referring to. I had an update of nokia drive Beta this morning
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The notification sound when you take it off the plate was not on the original firmwae and only came with a recent update. I was just wondering if that was the update you got last night.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rmcgandara

no, that sound was always there since I got the phone. The updates seemed to be apps and not system. it got frozen yesterday after using the camera.
Please use plain text.