Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia Lumia 900 Data Counter and People Tile

m98ter
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 900 Data Counter and People Tile

Is there a data counter on the Lumia 900 that I can't find? I've tried to call the 3282 data number, and it always tells me I'm at 0 even though I know i've been on the data network and not wifi.

Also, can someone explain to me how much data something like the people tile/email account setup uses? I've never understood apps like that coming from suuper old phones. Is it constantly checking your email/facebook? On some time interval? I'd really like to set up facebook and such with the people tile because it seems really nifty, but I don't want to go over my 2gb plan. I just don't terribly understand how it all works, and i'd be willing to try it out if I could see how much data i'm using..but that goes back to my first question...In the past when checking email/facebook I'd always just use the internet browser on my old Nokia e71x, and it wasn't giving me updates in real time like I know this guy is capable of. I'd like to use it, I just don't wanna eat up my data plan. Thanks for any wise words!

Sage
DKNY2012

Re: Nokia Lumia 900 Data Counter and People Tile

The email setting can remain always-on and email arrives instantly like a Blackberry if you set the synchronization settings to "as items arrive" for the email setup.  There will also be a very small data usage checking for changes on various Windows Live services such as Calendar for changes so it can sync the data to the phone, or vice versa.

The People Hub tile uses existing picture thumbnails already stored on the phone from your contacts profile pictures and Twitter and the first profile picture it finds on your friends profile pictures on Facebook.  Once the thumbnails are on the phone it doesnt use any more data.

It doesnt use any data to check for Facebook or Twitter until you go into the People Hub and swipe the screen into the "Whats New" section then it displays new Twitter and Facebook posts which have happened since you last checked it.  Although if you have set Twitter and Facebook to email you when you receive a mention or interaction and you have your email set to receive messages instantly then you will have realtime alerts for those important things.

When you swipe to the "All" section of the People Hub and click on your picture it then gives you the option to post a message to Twitter / Facebook or Windows Live all at the same time, or selecting each checkbox for individual social networks if you only want to post a message to one or two not all.  In this section you can also Check-In which places a Bing Maps location of the place you are using the GPS system.  The Messaging system is persistent always-on and displays any contacts that are online on your Facebook chat and Windows Live Messenger if you have set it up, which when you receive a message is text only so uses very little data.

m98ter

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and set up a facebook account with the people tile..pretty nifty! From the way you talk I don't think I'll have any issues blowing through data too fast. I don't think I was ever capping out over 200 or 300mb a month anyway with the old phone, so I think I'm probably safe. Thanks again for explaining!

Sage
DKNY2012

No problem

Contributor
jajeczny

My lumia ate 400mb in a week for nothig special:/
Sage
7thSense

Nokia Counters is now available.. Open this direct link in your phone:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=dd91f5d5-9cf8-4d1d-8fba-beaa01fafa47
Microsoft Windows Phone MVP
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Counsellor
gahbmwm5

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately this promising beta app will not run on the AT&T network until the next firmware update-Tango as reported by wpcentral.com

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-releases-data-counter-app-beta-lumia-windows-phone

Nokia Lumia 920 Glossy Red
Advisor
Robert_IT

Where is the update for the so-called HERO PHONE... AT&T is horrible for releasing updates.

Cannot wait until the update control is taken away from the silly Telco who always wants to put their junk apps on our phones.