Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 - Outlook sync capabilities?

Advisor
CarlJ

I agree with you that this is to the worse compared to earlier mobile applications like Nokia Suite etc.

I also now doscovered that the calendar source at hotmail is NOT updated if for example you accept a meeting, it goes to the calendar in personal folders!

Also if I open links from external appointments it is NOT stored in the hotmail calendar.

It does not help if I Only use the hotmail calendar as a source when it is not updated by all the incoming appointmnets through mails or advertisements etc!

I hope that we will get a application that can do this in the same manner as for syncronizing music, photos and videos even that also is not the best I have seen sofar!

It is not possible to set the source director for storing photos to anything else than the MS standars My photos...!

But I hope this is early child problems and that it will be fixed in future, if not I will fallback to my old phone and applications because this is not very productive.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

CarlJ wrote:

I also now doscovered that the calendar source at hotmail is NOT updated if for example you accept a meeting, it goes to the calendar in personal folders!

And you are _SURE_ you set the Hotmail calendar as the default for Outlook right?

Click on File>Data file management then click on the personal folder that has the calendar you need to show as default and set it as default.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Advisor
CarlJ

There is no datafile for the hotmailcalendar as such, the hotmailcalendar is origining from the cloud remember!

Advisor
CarlJ

also notice in outlook 2010 there is no datafile option under files...
it is found under accounts ...
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

guys,

you have to have a live/hotmail/outlook.com account

you have to add that account to your phone

you have to dl and install hotmail connector to your pc

you have to add your live/hotmail/outlook.com email to your outlook so that it creates the file

enter your credentials into the outlook connector

on device make the live/hotmail/outlook.com calendar the default

in outlook, be sure you use the live/hotmail/outlook.com calendar as default

this should sync correctly.

when you enter events on ur device be sure the correct calendar is selected or it will not sync

it will NOT sync notes or todo items. It WILL sync calendar and contacts for you.

if you want a full exchange service, ut is only $5usd/mo at outlook365.com

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Advisor
CarlJ

I know - I have done all of that but there is no place where I can set the hotmailcalendar as default in outlook!

Advisor
CarlJ

As I said it works when using the calendar manually, of course
But external appointments that is linked in by accepting or links ARE not included on the hotmailcalendar but the personal folder calendar only!
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Are these appointments coming from a contact not in the Microsoft account contact list? I can't really say anything but it works fine for me although I do not have any calendars outside the ones synced to an account also on my phone.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

hhg1

No local sync capability = no Lumia 920 upgrade. A huge step backward Nokia! Please fix this as there are many users want and need this capability. See http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/category/18981-sync
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This is a core design decision by Microsoft. It is also IMO a non issue as the sync flexability with the way it works now is both safer and more versatile then with using a USB cable.

If offline sync is a must for you Windows Phone is not for you.

---

swann

I was able to get all my contacts from my outlook on desktop to Lumia 920 by following the steps below:

1. Export contacts in outlook on your desktop to *.csv file on your local machine and/or any other storage device.
  2. Create an outlook 'LIVE' account either by creating a hotmail account and upgrading hotmail to outlook on WEB (it is all free).
  3. Import contacts into the windows 'LIVE' mail by going to PEOPLE AND SELECTING IMPORT CONTACTS.   Browse to the folder where the exported *.csv file you created in step 1 is stored. Select open and then select import.
  4. Sign in to your outlook live account by seting it up on Lumia, under setting, new mail account.
  5. If your import worked in step 3, and you created the Lumia windows live account with same credentials on Lumia, all your contacts in Windows Live account on the internet should now be synchonized in your Lumia contact book.

Hope this is helpful.  feel free to reply and drop a question.

Registered Member
kevinvedder

i use oxtender but it doesn't sync all of my contacts to outlook. i have a hotmail account and a workmail account on the lumia 920. i hoped ovi worked on this. the phone app doesn't do it for me. sucks as much as itunes. most important for me is the contacts
Registered Member
kevinvedder

found out the contacts of the phone are in the hotmail(outlook) but i use mostly the office outlook. is there an easy way to transfer this ? or is this maybe because i have the priority wrong in the phone ?
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Contacts are automatically synchronized with your Microsoft account. Since there is no direct sync with Outlook, you can either manually transfer them or use Outlook Connector. With Outlook Connector, it will synchronize your Microsoft data on the phone (emails, calendars and contacts). If you want to have them on your Office account, you can manually transfer them.  

You can check this site if you need further assistance with using Outlook Connector: http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/outlook-help/use-a-windows-live-hotmail-account-in-outlook-HA0103...

Final Banner
Contributor
PaulJellyOwen

Please note that my experience suggests that if you try an import an Outlook Contact using "Other" field as an Alternative Mobile No. because it was created on another type of device then the 920 wont see it correctly. It assumes WRONGLY that you can only text mobiles.
Contributor
PaulJellyOwen

I edit my Contacts directly in Outlook and they appear to be syncing directly with my 920 are you suggesting this isn't actually happening??
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

See this link you may find it helpful if you would want to sync your Outlook contacts to your Nokia Lumia devices.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Registered Member
Ibrahimc

Seem to be non existant..........or at best an effing struggle to achieve something that was so useful.

Same as deferred sms sending which was possible a few models ago....

Apps developers get working!

:smileyfrustrated:

Contributor
lumia920alias

Hi maniac,

Its wise you are asking this question before buying a lumia 920. ( i did not and ignorantly assumed like most new products, that a new phone, would do what old phones already could do with a few extra new things thrown in - was i wrong )

Unfortunately this phone while it has alot of nice shinny new things, no longer has the key features offered in the past by nokia such as syncing directly to a computer via cable or bluetooth. 

Put simply the lumia 920 doesn't sync like old nokias did so well .

Now should you wish to sink information you need to first agree to selling your sole to Microsoft as they will allow it only through a complicated maze of set up procedures involving you agreeing to send your email through their servers allowing them total access to all manner of your personal information . Seems reasonable right ? Well Microsoft convinced Nokia it is and here we are being dictated to .  

Or perhaps im the only person in the world that has been bombarded for the last 10 + years with information from hardware , software , and Internet services providers drumming into my head the importance of security of digital information . You know, companies no doubt owned by Microsoft who sold me anti virus , backup hard drives and other security products to assist me in protecting my personal information .

Seems reasonable security is no longer needed right ? I mean microsoft surely wouldnt disclose your personal information to earn billions of dollars right ? Im sure their MO is doing the right thing over profit right ?

Have you noticed when surfing the net things you are interested in seem to just pop up out of the blue ? Probably coincidence right ?

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There is no need to send you mail through MSFT server unless you choose to use a MSFT mail service. Mail will _ALWAYS_ come in through the internet anyway.

You assumptions of what MSFT has access to is both funny and ridiculous at the same time. I dare you to provide one shred of proof to back up your claims.

Your data in your Microsift account is safe, secure and encrypted and you are the _only_ one with readable access to it unless you provide yoru password information to anyone else yourself. The chance your house gets broken in to and your hoe PC stolen losing all your personal data is much, no MUCH greater than yoru Microsoft account being hacked.

The paranoid ideas of some are almost too funny to be taken serious sometimes..

---