Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Advisor
roohan

Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Hi,

I have my Nokia Lumia 920 three days now and it already became unresponsible twice. I could not start the phone or anything. Only a hard reset (all three buttons at once) started the phone again. Should I turn back the phone for a replacement?

Registered Member
Tsalagi

I had the same probem this evening after adding a bluetooth headset.  Hard reset brought it back but curious if I should persue getting a replacement before my 2 weeks is up.

Advisor
roohan

The problem is that we cant be sure if a replacement will solve the problem. I mean it could be even a windows phone 8 problem since the OS is quite new. I googled to see if alot of poeple have the same problem but i can not find many reports on crashing Lumias.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I wouldn't be sosure about a generic WP8 issue causing this. More likely just a once off incident. A bunch of us have had our lumia 920's about a week now. Of the 15, only one frooze and had to be hard reset. No idea what brought it on. The rest, I am glad to say, haven't put a toe wrong. Even the one that frooze is now back on form. As withanything new, theres bound to be a few teething proprems. Judging by what we are seeing here or rather not seeing here, I think it is actually going rather well. A handfull of complaints when tens of thousands of sets are already in circulation is a drop in the ocean. I understand that statistics is no consolation when your set happens to be one of them. However it does mean that if you get a replacement, chances are, it will be fine.  

Advisor
roohan

Yes thats why I googled and it really doesnt seem to be a general problem. Guess I will check a few days if it happens again and turn it back for a replacement.
Contributor
stevecoz

I'm experiencing the same freezing issue. I purchased my phone in-store yesterday morning (in the lobby of AT&T HQ in downtown Dallas). Around 11am yesterday after only two hours of use, the phone froze up and I had to perform a hard reset. IIRC, I had just plugged the phone into a power outlet (using the included, standard Nokia wall charger). 

I used the phone a fair amount yesterday and didn't have to reset the phone again. Just before going to bed I plugged the phone into the wall (battery was approximately 15% charged). When I woke up this morning the phone was unresponsive. I had to do a hard reset (with the phone still connected to the charger). When the phone rebooted, the settings screen showed battery was only at 88%. I left the phone connected for about 15 minutes and when I disconnected the phone it showed 100% charge. 

I used the phone occasionally this morning and all seemed well. And then I went to take a picture with the phone and it froze up again. After another hard reset, I noticed the picture I had just taken had vanished from the phone. 

I'll be monitoring this issue closely since I only have another 13 days to return. Very interested in hearing from others. 

Thanks,

Steve

Advisor
roohan

My Nokia froze again today so thats three times in 3 days. I didnt even do anything with the phone. 

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I was the one of 15 that Cjlim mentioned and my phone froze shortly after installing Viber. I done the three button reset and removed Viber. My phone hasn't frozen since but that's not enough proof to blame Viber for that little mishap. 

I have used my phone quite extensively since and it hasn't so much as stuttered once so I'm classing this as a one off incident in my case.

Ray.

Advisor
roohan

I reset my Nokia to factory settings now to see if an app was responsible for freezing.

Counsellor
UndCOVer

I heard a while ago that some old WP7 APIs are causing WP8 to crash , like FM radio apps or any app that uses it's radio api and many more ... , let's just hope the problem is just limited to that .
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Same here, I have had no resetting or phone turning off problems with my 920 thus far. When running a lot of applications one time, the phone did appear to threaten to turn itself off, but recovered itself after 3 or 4 seconds. I agree with the sentiment of other users here on these boards...these appear to be isolated, one-off incidents and that is a testament to the strong programming work done by Nokia and Microsoft, in making a stable and reliable product.
Registered Member
GG916

[ Edited ]

Same problem for me.  Got it Friday afternoon (11/9).  Froze up three times and one random reboot.  Froze once using Words With Friends, once using the camera, and once just randomly.

I wish it were just a phone issue, but it seems so many are having it, it's hard to tell!  I've read that the HTC 8X does the same thing.

I hope someone figures it out soon and fixes it!

BTW, lots of ppl posting on WPCentral with the same issue.

Advisor
neil0311

adrianhughes wrote:
Same here, I have had no resetting or phone turning off problems with my 920 thus far. When running a lot of applications one time, the phone did appear to threaten to turn itself off, but recovered itself after 3 or 4 seconds. I agree with the sentiment of other users here on these boards...these appear to be isolated, one-off incidents and that is a testament to the strong programming work done by Nokia and Microsoft, in making a stable and reliable product.

Same here....3 new Lumia 920s for me, my wife, and my 16 year old son who uses his phone heavily with XBOX, music, texting, facebook, etc..   Not a single hiccup at all.  No freezing, nothing at all but a great phone with good performance and sound quality.    I'm sure we could still experience something negative, but in 2 days so far....nothing but a good experience.

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Mine has locked up another three times today since my previous post. Each time was after unlocking the screen and scrolling the start screen. This definitely rules out Viber as it's not installed anymore. I'm going to need to investigate further to see what might be causing this problem.

Contributor
stevecoz

Took my phone into the att store yesterday. The rep took my phone in the back and performed a factory reset. When the phone powered back on, I had the option to restore from my SkyDrive backup, but instead chose to start from scratch.

I have installed about 30 apps since then and have been using the phone pretty heavily. So far, so good. Will update this thread if the freezes occur again, but it seems for now that the hard reset did the trick.

Registered Member
eaglescoach91

Just purchased mine about 3 hours ago.  It's frozen about 8 times.

Registered Member
yohanyoung

I purchased mine Friday 11/9/2012.  It froze several times that night doing nothing but scrolling the tiles on the start screen.  I can pretty easily get it to freeze if I have my Windows Live, Gmail, and Facebook acocunts synced to the phone and I get my son to play I Dig It for 10 minutes.  I was able to reproduce it that way.  Then I removed all accounts except the main Windows Live account, gave my son the phone to play I Dig It again and the thing did not freeze.  It could have been a fluke, but it seemed to be related to the accounts I had setup and had syncing.  I wonder if a background sync causes things to freeze up.  Wondiering if anyone else out there has a bunch of different accounts (Windows Live, Gmail, Facebook, Exchange) and you are setup to sync as often as possible and to pull down email from all time.  Do things freeze for you then?

Shaunfth

I purchased mine on Saturday afternoon and it's now Sunday night. It has frozen at least 15 times. Have read that a factory reset could help so I gave it a try. I did not even get through the initial setup before it froze again. That's it for me, it's going back for a replacement or refund tomorrow. Definitely not isolated one off incidence as some have proposed, there is definitely a problem with either the phone or windows. Let's see how long it takes before Nokia/Microsoft actually acknowledge that there is a problem...
KingLouis

[ Edited ]

Same prob. Purchased Nov 9.  Nov 10 freeze and went to store.  They re-set holding both volume up, down, and power (aside:  is that a "soft" re-set versus "hard"?  All four buttons at same time?).  Froze 3 more times later that same day.  No freeze yesterday.  1 freeze already this morning.  I noticed also that it freezes mostly when trying to unlock (so I removed that) and now freezes when swiping the screen-saver.  Not sure exchanging phones will help if so many phones are experiencing same drama?  Consider hard/factory re-set?  Or changing phones.  Disappointed.

blw1473

SAME HERE...Had mine since 11am on sat ( release day ) between now and then at least 30 crashes, Reset it 3 times now, still doing it. Phones 4u are sending a replacement, but i fear it's a software issue and will solve nowt. Dissapointed doesnt even cover it, i may even wrestle my iphone4 back off my daughter...C'mon Noika and Microsoft, sort this out..!!!