Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I still think this reboot is specific to particular variants or particular apps installed. My phone has been running continuously without issues for at least 2 weeks now. Hav not switched it off or reboot with 2 hours on the charger every second day. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gstr

Here are my observations:

• bluetooth disabled (I mean disabled, not "not connected") - 90% freezes less;
  • some apps cause freeze almost everytime, like Flashlight 7 (from the same author as Cocktail Flow);

With Bluetooth disabled and using only built-in apps I've got almost no freezes. With Bluetooth enabled, even not connected it freezes and restarts without a reason few times a day.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peterfnet

I'm also experiencing lock ups. Per Nokia support on Twitter, I disabled bluetooth on my 920. I still experienced a lockup over the weekend. I'm willing to see an app crash, but for the whole OS to go down is surprising. My 900 was more stable! I'm looking to forward to seeing what the Microsoft Patch will include and explain.

I seem to see this more often on apps like Word With Friends and BaconIt.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gstr

I hope to see patch soon.

Today one of free navigation apps in Poland, 'yanosik' has been updated to version 2.5. It freezes in a few seconds after update, just after planning the route. Previous version was quite stable. So apps or the way they interact with OS is the reason.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Medivh

well i has frozen twice in two weeks and some application once froze but i was able to kill it by switching to menu and pressing the back arrow , but the thing is the last time it froze (2nd one) was two hours ago i got it out of my pocket there was an SMS notification that just appeared and i pressed power button to unlock it and boom i couldn't swipe the screen up just dead wouldn't wake up unless i pressed the volume rocker and power together for 10 seconds and it rebooted successfully .

the thing is i had an iphone 4 i still have actually , but now i'm thinking of seeling this Lumia in the past two and half years i have used the iphone i haven't had a freeze !!!!  i didn't have to make an account on apple support forums !! i'm seriously thinkign of selling it and waiting for iphone 5 to come cheaper ,i really love this phone but features are nothing if phone isn't stable this all i want from my iphone to be always available which is really buggin me

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anf72

I'm having the issue to. It been freezing like every day yesterday it restarted and hanged on the nokia logo. I have turned off the NFC what stop the handset from freezing as much but still. I'm disappointed with nokia 920 because of this and fact no support from nokia on the issue.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
squirrel76

Wife has same problem. Only had phone 3 weeks. Got to pay £25 quid to get it replaced. Very unhappy. Love the phone, love the OS, but my WP7 is more stable. Holding off upgrading my first gen Omnia 7.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gstr

It sounds really strange, but it seems that it REALLY has something to do with installed apps.

No freezes at all for 3 days. Installed 'yanosik' - several freezes, outside app! 'Yanosik' has no background tasks! Uninstalled 'yanosik', soft-reset (not just turn-off/on) and no freezes for 3 days again.

Strange... Really strange.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

Just adding to this thread what I've said in others. I have had 5 Lumias 920s following an initial problems with registering the SIM and not being able to connect to the EE network for 3 week! 4 of the 5 phones have shown the  freezing issue reported here. The 4th phone also had a problem where the camera flash didn't work.  The 5th just has the freezing issue.  

The problem is clearly in all Lumia 920s. The question is what scenarios trigger it? In my case it happens when I leave the phone on the wireless charger overnight. In the morning the phone is dead and needs to be soft reset (volumn down and power buttons together for 10 seconds). Following this the date and time are reset to some date in Sep 2012 but all other settings are intact.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TobyGadd

While waiting for my first 920 to return from Nokia repair (for aproximity sensor issue), I got another new 920. Alas, it locked up like crazy. It didn't even manage to get through the setup sequence without locking up twice. I tried hard resets, soft resets, etc.--but it wouldn't run for more than about fifteen minutes before locking up. Further, it would get very warm with little use. I didn't have it long enough to check battery life--but heat is presumably a sign that the battery was being used very quickly.

I knew that this wasn't normal, since my previous 920 didn't lock up once in a month. Not once!

So I went back to AT&T today and replaced the new 920 with another new one. So far, so good. Not one lockup, it stays reasonably cool (slightly warm with lots of use). Yeah!

In short, I think that some of these phones have hardware issues. If you have regular lockups, and you've tried hard and soft resets, it might be worth simply swapping the phone.

Please use plain text.
Meengla

Re: GreatRe: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

I had my first freeze after over a month of ownership. The phone froze at the start screen (Nokia logo/text). I don't know what triggered it but the phone was in an office being charged via a USB cable from a computer (it is another story that the computer itself had some general USB driver issues); the office also has AT&T microtower due to weak signal. Sometimes phone calls get disconnected if I start the call inside office and walk away some yards. This evening I walked out of office and then pressed some button (probably the text message icon) and saw the phone frozen.

Pressing the power button didn't help. However long I pressed. The screen was frozen.

Called AT&T support as I got home. They were about to send me to 'warranty' department for an exchange. But then they transfered me to Nokia support. The support guy suggested Volume down button and the power button at the same time. No response. Then I plugged in the power cord and did the same (Vol. down/power) and, voila, the phone booted. Looks fine now.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pitmik

I got my Lumia 920 four days ago. At the beginning the back side of the phone came quite hot, disabled NFC (tap+send), haven't noticed heating after that. But... I have to soft reset (long pressing volume down + power button about 10 secs) the phone at least couple of times every single day!

Phone just goes off and won't respond or wake up until I do the soft reset. After the phone boots up again, the date and time are reset to Saturday September 1 (2012?) at 7:47. After entering SIM PIN code, the phone soon gets correct time from the mobile network. Battery might be even almost full, so it's not because of low battery.

It's very annoying to soft reset the phone few times per day, but even more it's problematic since I cannot know when the phone is off, and thus nobody will be able to give me a call... and have to use my N9 as alarm clock since I cannot trust the Lumia.

Just wondering if I should wait for some OS update, or just try to get another phone...

I really would like to give Windows Phone a try, but this kind of issues eats credibility of the OS... and Nokia... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
NumberedJester

Had all the freezing problems when I got my 920, eventually got round to getting it changed.

Everything seemed fine for about 2 days (last Tuesday), then my nephew accidently started the Nokia Drive app. I stopped it when it asked about using my location blah, blah. About an hour passed and I went to take a turn on Alpha Jax and while the game was loading the screen went off and the phone seemed to reboot and got stuck on the Nokia logo.

I did the 'soft' reset (power and volume down) and since that there has been no issues.

It seems there are just a lot of bad apps about. Probably not tested fully on the WP8 software :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MikefromCT

I have had the 920 since mid-November. Very early adopter.

The first one froze and unfroze by itself after several days of use. At the one-week mark it froze and wouldn't restart.  

No one in the store or in ATT support knew anything about how to reset the phone, so they just replaced it. The second phone went 3 weeks without a failure. But then it froze. Again, ATT suppport knew nothing about the phone and even gave me the wrong reset procedure. They sent me to the warrantee center, who also knew nothing and didn't have one to replace it with anyway.

Finally, by investigating the Nokia site, I found the reset process and it works fine. At this point, I am assuming it's an app conflict. My strategy will be to put up with it for a while and hope for a software update solution. If it gets too bad, I will start uninstalling apps until it settles down.

Christmas! ATT, Nokia, and Microsoft have bet the farm on this phone. You'd think they could do a better job supporting it!!! I love the box and I like WP8. But cripes they make it hard to keep loving it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
9Cyph

This is not looking good.  When I first purchased my Lumia 920 I noticed a problem where I would press the power button and it would not lock the phone screen.  It did this for a while and then finally started working after soft resetting the phone.  Then I was at a Thanksgiving party and went to take a picture and clicked the camera button only to get a green screen and it wouldn't take pictures.  Later my free wireless charging plate came in the mail and I plugged it up and it seemed to work fine.  I sat my phone on the charging plate before bed, and woke up the next day to find my phone dead.  I tried reseting the phone repeatedly but it would not come on.  I took the phone back to AT&T within the alotted "14 day" period but came in to a HUGE issue.

I purchased my phone on launch day from an Official AT&T Corporate store.  The store guy placed the order through their system to send the phone directly to me since they did not have any Cyan Blue 920s in the store.  It was to come in 3-5 buisness days.  There was no mention of back order or anyting.  About two weeks later I got my phone.  That is when I came in to the problems mentioned above in previous paragraph.  Once AT&T could not fix it they went to replace it but came in to a problem.  First is that I placed the order inside the store, but it did not "ship" till two weeks later.  So although the contract clearly says two weeks after "ship date" AT&T did not want to honor my dead on arrival phone and wanted me to go through the warranty department since the phone was taken back two weeks after the inital "order date" (not ship date).  After much arguing they agreed, but could not give me a replacement to the phone I purchased since AT&T does not carry the blue Cyan 920 physically at the stores.  Ironically, even though I purchased the phone in the store and had it shipped, they could not just take the broken phone and ship me another Cyan Blue phone, despite at the time there being Cyan blue 920s available on their website.

So their advise was to cancel my order and my upgrade, take my phone, and give me a sim card to go back to my old phone.  Then the system would update in two days that my contract was available for upgrade again, and I could re-order the phone.  I told the lady at the store that the phone was in high demand and that 2 days from then, it may not be available on AT&Ts website.  She said that was a chance I had to take.  Two days later, guess what?  It was not available.   I had to then order the phone from Best Buy.

I finally got my 2nd 920 and it has been working pretty good.  I like the WIndows 8 OS and the features of the Lumia 920.  However I just purchased a Luna Headset as well and posted how it stopped working after one day.  Well, I just tried to pair it again and called my voice mail to see if I could hear anything through the Bluetooth headset and guess what just happened?  The phone locked up :smileysad: I just had to do a soft reset and it came back up but this is a whole lot of issues for a "New phone".  The ideas and features of Windows 8 and the Lumia 920 are great but Microsoft and Nokia should be ashamed of the lack of quality they have released, its like its still in "beta testing" mode.  Hopefully I don't have too many more issues...

Please use plain text.
outerphase

I bought my 920 on Dec 1. It froze 5 minutes after walking out of the ATT store. So I went back in and they did a soft reset. Then I thought I should turn off all the features that I'm not going to use, so I turned off bluetooth and NFC (tap+send). The phone has not had any troubles since then.

After reading this thread, it seems that many people say the phone gets hot for no apparent reason. To me this indicates some process is consuming the CPU. Perhaps its the bluetooth or NFC. Perhaps,disabling these two features will lessen the freezing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tidsystems

I believe the NFC is the problem because I had the Bluetooth off and still I was getting the black screen of death. Even after the Nokia update 2 days ago the phone froze one time. After I turned off NFC  I had no issue in the last couple days.

Please use plain text.
Lead

[ Edited ]
I bought my 920 from EE (Orange) on Saturday 22nd December and the problems with random freezes/reboots started the very same evening.

At first I thought it was a one off and nothing could be wrong with my brand new Nokia Windows Phone...

I had to search the internet for how to revive (soft reset) the phone.

But it wasn't the first time. It kept happening over and over again.

It didn't seem to matter what I was doing - scrolling the home screen, using the store, browsing files, changing settings; the phone would either freeze, then require soft reset to revive, or simply reboot. Each time the date & time would need resetting as they'd defaulted to a date in September 2009 and 6am (or thereabouts).

Sometimes I'd leave the phone working then come back some time later to find it'd rebooted (it was asking for my SIM pin).

Searching the internet resulted in a few suggestions - disable BT, NFC, switch to 3G, but nothing helped.

I reset my phone to factory defaults (using the in-phone process) and within a matter of seconds of the process completing the phone had locked up again! Anyway, today the EE stores opened again and I telephone to see if they had PAYG stock (prior to this time they would only sell certain phones on PAYG, others were set aside for contracts) so that I could swap. They have agreed to swap and I'll be going tomorrow.

As an aside, the assistant told me they've now been given the go-ahead by Orange to sell contract phones on PAYG.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tache

try settings

lock screen, never

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
amdhunter

Add me to the list.  Phone never froze on me once until I tried using Bluetooth capability with my JVC KW-NT800HDT.  

I can't get the phone to work longer than 2 minutes when paired, and when it freezes, it completely locks up.  I tried hard resetting the phone 3x, but it has not fixed anything. 

Is there a clear answer on whether this is a software or hardware issue yet?  

Please use plain text.