Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

dkarios

I tryed your suggestion CloudStrife, and nothing happened. When I woke up the phone it was frozen.

Please use plain text.
Devon10

I had the freezing problems with my lumia920. Best advice I can give you is go back to the store you bought and get a new one. Mine is working 100% now.
Please use plain text.
Sage
CloudStrife

[ Edited ]

Maybe things are getting a bit more clear now, reading the comments posted by Rienkie (glad to hear that my suggestion fixed your issue too!), grschinon, and 93tid !
So far, mine is still up, never been rebooted and never frozen again. I really hope that it would keep up working this way.

dkarios , sorry this didn't work for you :smileysad: maybe your issue is triggered by another component, such as the WiFi adapter or the Bluetooth maybe? In my very personal opinion, I think that Lumias have been built with some different hardware, and some drivers are not working properly with all the different type of components, so someone may experience issues with the SIM adapter while someone else with the WLan, as I read around here and on some other forums.

I suggest you to go on and keep trying to identify the root of the matter. I would try keeping WLan disabled for instance, or the Bluetooth if you're using it. I would also try to disable automatic backup as long as the "find my phone" function. I'm pretty sure that you'll come to a point, and maybe as soon as you've identified the cause, it would be easier for you to find a workaround awaiting for an official fix.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ihopson

Unfortunately cannot comment about it now. My lumia 920 is with tmobile repair centre, hopefully it will come back to me working like it should.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

93tid wrote:

It would also explain why the Nokia Care Point manager I spoke with for around 45 minutes while waiting for a display replacement to be done (not on 920) kept repeating that they are tired of people bringing in Lumias, especially WP8 ones, with complaints about buggy software and requesting a reflash, when in over 90% of cases it's a SIM/network issue causing it.

No developer testing, no user testing, no manufacturer testing, no network testing and this is the result. The phones were pushed out as soon as the os was finished to meet the holday buying season. Blaming the networks is not fair as your phones have to suit the network, not the other way around.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rienkie

sadly enough, I have to say it worked for one day :smileysad: today it was frozen again and i had to do a hard reset.

I will bring it back to the repair center.

This is really a bad situation, this is my second lumia. Just got this new lumia a week because the other one they could not fix (dust and proximity sensor problem).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

My 920 has been having a particularly bad week shutting down 5 times and usually, but not always, when it is on the wireless charger overnight. I've now trained myself  to wake up at about 6am so that I can check if it's still alive so that I don't miss my normal alarm at 7am!

While it's behaving badly I think I will try CloudStrife's solution and report back. Watch this space :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
farukdgn

Try this:
If automatic date/time settings are on, the phone freezes if there is problems with the date/time sync:

1. On Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Date+time.
2. Tap to toggle Set automatically to Off.
3. Perform a "Soft Reset", i.e. press and hold the power button and volume down button for about 10 seconds; the phone should vibrate and reboot your phone.
4. After reboot date+time should be wrong! Thus, on Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Date+time.
5. Tap on each of the options to set your current Time zone, Date, and Time. When you're done, tap the phone's back button.
IMPORTANT Don't turn on automatic date+time setting again!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
amdhunter

naserals1974 wrote:

Resolution for this problem is as follows:

1. For those who haven't applied portico update, please turn off "find my phone" option.

2. For those who have applied portico update, please uncheck both options in find my phone feature. Uncheck "send apps to my phone using push notifications" and uncheck "save my phone's location periodically and before battery runs out to make it easier to find".

It is more of a software problem that was highlighted to Microsoft.

Thanks,

:smileysad:  Didn't help.  Lasted about 5 minutes, but eventually froze.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

farukdgn wrote:
Try this:
If automatic date/time settings are on, the phone freezes if there is problems with the date/time sync:

1. On Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Date+time.
2. Tap to toggle Set automatically to Off.
3. Perform a "Soft Reset", i.e. press and hold the power button and volume down button for about 10 seconds; the phone should vibrate and reboot your phone.
4. After reboot date+time should be wrong! Thus, on Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , and then tap Date+time.
5. Tap on each of the options to set your current Time zone, Date, and Time. When you're done, tap the phone's back button.
IMPORTANT Don't turn on automatic date+time setting again!

This isn't the problem. I have never had automatic time and date update enabled.

Please use plain text.
sfans

I didn't know that there are so many users that is facing this issue of freezing. I suspect it may be the battery that is causing this freezing. what happen to my case is I waited till my battery became low as I feel that I want to wait till the last drop of battery before I start to charge my phone. but it once I started to charge it, it just freeze. I than did a hard reset to the phone and after that no more issue of freezing....a bit puzzling here but believe a hard reset may just solve the issue ....but still there are some that still has it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulkkii

CloudStrife's suggestion has worked so far. Now two days without freezes. Mine freezed every day before the sim card off and 10min+ after back in trick..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mariusmuntensky

Too bad these things happen with the 920 model so often and for so many users. I've had a white 920 model a couple of weeks ago, and before I sold it, I got the chance to play a little with it. It is trully a piece of work, very nice design and feels great in your hand. It was locked to USA so I could not test my sim card in it to see if any problems occur.

I now own an iphone 5, but if any Nokia Care representative could guarantee for me that if I exchange it to a 920, I won't get the same issues I would instantly do the switch.

I am still waiting for a working solution to these issues that can be applied to most of the users, because these solutions some have found here, seem to work for a few only. 

The only thing I can say is that, a friend of mine has a 820 lumia and in one month he had only one reboot, no other issues, so I simply cannot understand what could be the problem? The OS? or the 920 device that cause so many problems. what do you guys think?

Oh, almost forgot, the 820 friend of mine is using it on Orange Romania network.

Is here anyone with a 920 on Orange Romania to tell me if he has any problems?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
colinbowern

This is getting ridiculous.  I just blogged about how broken the whole support model is with this phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
amdhunter

[ Edited ]

I am resorting to begging now. 

Please find a fix for the bluetooth freezing.  The phone froze on me more than 10 times when trying to use bluetooth.  Unfortunately, I use bluetooth all the time.

Please.  Your repair depot said they couldn't duplicate the problem, but this is impossible because NO device works with my phone longer than a few minutes.  It's guaranteed to freeze within 20 minutes.

Please.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Quethrosar

mine is still freezing almost all the time over night. for awhile I thought powering it off than plugging it back in would work but nope.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hulkkii

Now 4 days without freezes. Thx for the tip CloudStrife!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

hulkkii wrote:

Now 4 days without freezes. Thx for the tip CloudStrife!

Mine is still looking good after 3 days following CloudStrife's fix. Fingers crossed! Let's keep reporting back on this to see if we have a solution.

Of course there may be more than one issue so, to be clear, my phone would frequently shut down completely. This was often, but not always, when it was left on the wireless charger overnight.

The only way to get it back on was to hold the volume and middle button down together for at least 10 seconds when it would buzz and re-start. After the re-start the date and time would be set to some time in Sept 2012. 

I use WLAN, Bluetooth and move around from 4G to 3G to H (whatever that is) sometimes with very weak signal strength.

As CloudeStrife's fix involved removal of the SIM card, it may be of significance that I intially had problems getting my EE SIM card registered. It seems that EE now routinely register the SIM first in a donor phone of different make and model or provide SIMs that are pre-registered.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

hillsrob wrote:

It may be of significance that I intially had problems getting my EE SIM card registered. It seems that EE now routinely register the SIM first in a donor phone of different make and model or provide SIMs that are pre-registered.

EE's SIM cards come without a phone number assigned to them, which they acquire only at activation. Unfortunately WP8 phones (not only Nokia) cannot deal with SIM cards which contain no phone number in them and crash, which explains the flood of complaints about constant reboot loops and several unsuccessful replacements of new SIM cards on EE-provided handsets. It sounds like they have finally understood it and have found a workaround for registering the SIMs. It can be done on any donor phone as long as it is not running WP8.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

93tid wrote:

EE's SIM cards come without a phone number assigned to them, which they acquire only at activation. Unfortunately WP8 phones (not only Nokia) cannot deal with SIM cards which contain no phone number in them and crash, which explains the flood of complaints about constant reboot loops and several unsuccessful replacements of new SIM cards on EE-provided handsets. It sounds like they have finally understood it and have found a workaround for registering the SIMs. It can be done on any donor phone as long as it is not running WP8.

Thanks for the clarification 93tid. I had 4 new handsets before that reboot issue was finally resolved!

The 4th had a camera flash that didn't work and both the 4th and 5th had this shutting down/freeze issue.

I'm not sure if my phone really shuts down or simply freezes with a blank screen. I have no way of telling. It seems a bit odd that a soft reset causes the time and date to be set to a default value.

At least we are making some progress through this self help process. No thanks though to Microsoft or Nokia who seem to have their heads buried in the sand for fear of killing interest in the product.   

Please use plain text.