Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Registered Member
AndyNorway

My phone used to hang once every second day. I have upgraded my firmware using Nokia Care Suite.. and for a hole week no freeze.. until the last few days. Hangs 2-3 times a day. Love the phone, but I dont except that Nokia does not answer back

I have no extra software installed, nearfield turned off. I have wifi connected. I will return my phone if the problem dont get solved or at least an Nokia conclusion on the error

PS! My phone is 059Q920 version (black=920), and my colleague have the same version, same problem

FW: 1232.5951.1249.1001

IMEI: 35414905379xxxx

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

CloudStrife wrote:

...  my phone freezed again after about 7 days of uptime, just after upgrading Nokia Apps (nav, maps, transport) that are now called HERE ("here maps", "here transport"). A few minutes after doing the update through the Marketplace, the phone was frozen.

My phone froze again today after 9 days of up time. Interestingly I got the HERE updates just after I did the usual two finger reset followed by time setting etc.  I'm hoping that the Nokia Drive beta can now be controlled from my Fiscon BT hands fee kit. Let's see. There is no way that I am sending my phone for repair unless it dies completely or there is a published solution to this problem.  Phones are churned out of the factory in hundreds of thousands. There may be some component changes and even setting up changes from batch to batch but I convinced that nobody at Nokia understands what is happening here, or if they do they are keeping it quiet because they know that if can't be fixed easily. Hopefully you will get a new phone Cloudstrife with a high IMIE :smileyhappy:

P.S. I haven't had the Portico update from EE yet. Unless it slipped in under the radar.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

nikosxri wrote:
Yes, but why not all lumia 920 freeze?
In fact I estimate the freezing lumias to be less than 5%.

I don't know how you calculated 5% nikosxri but if is as low as 5% I think that Nokia should replace the bad ones with good and kill this bad publicity.

I've had 5 phones so far and still have 2 major issues:

1. Phone freezes.

2. Doesn't work reliably with my Fiscon BT car kit. (My last 3 Nokia phones all worked perfectly with it.)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikosxri

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikosxri

I dont own the phone yet, thats why I dig into the reviews but I dont know if they are reliable or not.

Please use plain text.
Elvis_7

Ive tried google and still cannot figure out what or why it happened, any insight would be great.

Ok, so im on my second 920 and things were going well until this morning at about 3am, my 920 just restarted its self and when it came on ,it was in flight mode, no matter what i did ,it would not stop flight mode. The wifi was on and connected but it would say no connection if i tried to access online stuff, and the network remained ,no network. After calling rogers support and spending 2. Hours, we tried a factory reset but at this point, when id go into settings or any apps, the screen would go black and return to the start menu. So we tried the key combo but when turning of the phone, it would just stay stuck on the goodbye screen , tried every option to reset but nothing. So the tech gave me a support number and i am going to exchange it for another red 920 for the last time. Before bed i plugged it in the charger while its on the goodbye screen, this morning at 8am, the phone restated i guess and went off flight mode, it seems to be working fine now but i am not risking it and am within my 15days, i just have to wait for my local store to get red920 in stock

my first 920 kept locking up and required a soft reset every time, twice a day after day 4. Also, no skype,nokia drive or facebook....

ALSO NOTE,the manufacturing date on my current 920's box is 4/2013 .. Time travel?i am in canada.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Elvis_7 wrote:
ALSO NOTE,the manufacturing date on my current 920's box is 4/2013 .. Time travel?i am in canada.

Week 4 in year 2013. What time travel ?

Please use plain text.
Elvis_7

It was a joke, i had thought the number meant the month seeing as my last one was 2/2013 and i got it in February.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
uomoz84

i've got a lumia 920, italian career branded.

It freeze twice per day and when it happens i got to soft reset four time to have the phone regularly working again.

It happens very often with explorer but also with whatsapp or viewing mails.

In your opinion, is it a software bug or an hardware fail?

i read a lot of other cases like mine..

please help us!

i don't want to bring it to nokia care cause i fear they aren't abe to solve my problem..

Did someone identified the origin of  our freezing?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jcboliveira

I'm sure that the reasons are not only one. After sending the phone twice to Nokia care without any luck tried a systematic approach. In my case was simple to pinpoint the problem, it was Bluetooth or the connection to the car hands free system.

the solution is to turn off and on the 920 after each Bluetooth use. Since I don't use it so often it's a minor inconvenient.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

jcboliveira wrote:
I'm sure that the reasons are not only one. After sending the phone twice to Nokia care without any luck tried a systematic approach. In my case was simple to pinpoint the problem, it was Bluetooth or the connection to the car hands free system.

the solution is to turn off and on the 920 after each Bluetooth use. Since I don't use it so often it's a minor inconvenient.

Bluetooth as a possible cause is interesting. I am a heavy BT user. BT headset, BT car kit, BT Nokia 360 speakers etc. I tend to leave BT on most of the time and it routinely connects to my car 2 or 3 times a day.  

As my phone rarely freezes during the day, I could try turning BT off at night and then turning the phone off and back on again before putting it on the wireless charger overnight. If I get to 10 days without a freeze it will be a new record for me :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
strife

Well I had the phone since november and never been using bluetooth, still having the freezing issue. To add to my previous post, I finally got my phone back from repair center after over 3 weeks of waiting and guess what, the only thing they did was install the update again which was already installed in the first time I took this to service. Needless to say, the issue still remains as I already witnesed yesterday. So 3 weeks of waiting for this? I think this would be laughable if it in fact wasn't so incredibly frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BluSkize

I'm also having the overnight freeze issue, as is my wife.

My IMEI is 3541 4905 77x xxxx. The wife's is the same (obviously the masked digits of her IMEI are different to mine!).

We received our phones on 21st Feb 2013.

This issue has happened 3 times on my phone up until now 1st Mar 2013 and twice on the wife's.

Please use plain text.
Elvis_7

BluSkize wrote:

I'm also having the overnight freeze issue, as is my wife.

My IMEI is 3541 4905 77x xxxx. The wife's is the same (obviously the masked digits of her IMEI are different to mine!).

We received our phones on 21st Feb 2013.

This issue has happened 3 times on my phone up until now 1st Mar 2013 and twice on the wife's.

my first 920 froze aot, its production date was 2/2013.. my second luia 920 never froze or hung but it restarted into airplane mode twice and stayed like that for 8+ hours ,unable to turn it or the phone off or factory reset the phone is use any apps.its production date was 4/2013...  i am on my 3rd lumia now starting day 2/15 and its production date is 4/2013.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FienDi

[ Edited ]

Same problem here with the slight addition that my unit managed to freeze even before I had inserted SIM (I tested it briefly while waiting the microSIM to arrive). During that perioid the only connection mode in use was naturally wlan, therefore ruling out any SIM/3G/4G solution; for me at least.

Also, the phone mostly hangs during night making it unusable as alarm clock - and of course as a phone since no one can connect me while it's dead. Really sad since after N8 this device is awesome.

My IMEI for the record : 3541490526xxxxx

Please use plain text.
Sage
CloudStrife

Hi guys,

just another small report.

After freezing once immediately after installing HERE updates (ex Nokia Maps) five days ago, all went ok.

Yesterday I wanted to perform a backup, so I turned on the backup option (for those who did not read the entire thread: I disabled all automatic and background services on my phone, such as backup, xbox live, ecc ecc and it was working great). Did the backup and left the option turned ON.

After a few minutes the phone was frozen!

Ok just a coincidence. Turned it off.

The I turned it on before going to bed, just to see what would happen. Today in the morning I found it frozen (and it was NOT on charge, full battery)!

Performed a soft reset, and LEFT THE BACKUP OPTION ON. A few minutes after, it was frozen again!

Disabled the backup option, it is still running.

So what? I think that the backup task can be one of the background activities that lead the phone to freezing.

Will leave it off and perform my backups manually once per week.

Just my 2 cents, if anyone wants to try out disabling that service and see if the usage experience improves.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
legends71

Bought the Lumia 6 days ago and have been experiencing 3 freezes so far.
never had a freeze while working on it, but it froze while trying to turn it on.
needles to say that I'm disappointed about the phone.
hope they can fix it with a software update els I'm returning the phone and get a iPhone which is boring but at least works like a charm.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jaripi

Hi "CloudStrife", you did not mention your wi-fi (wlan) setting - was it on or off, or did you change it during that period ? ... I think that many users can get rid of this problem just by disabling wi-fi (wlan) option and using only cellular data for internet connection ...

Please use plain text.
Sage
CloudStrife

jaripi wrote:

Hi "CloudStrife", you did not mention your wi-fi (wlan) setting - was it on or off, or did you change it during that period ? ... I think that many users can get rid of this problem just by disabling wi-fi (wlan) option and using only cellular data for internet connection ...

I had the opposite issue at the beginning: WiFi worked great, it was the SIM connection to make the phone hang (leaving wifi with no cellular data connection: all worked fine; enabling data connection: the phone hung).

That issue was definitively solved applying the Sim trick (remove sim, turn on the handset, leave it 15 mins with no sim after clicking "ok", turn it off, reinsert the SIM).

Since then I had suffered only sporadic freezings, so to investigate more on the cause, I disabled all the background activities.

It no longer freezed since I installed HERE Maps (through the marketplace, it upgraded Nokia maps to Here maps).

And then yesterday by enabling the automatic backup again. Since I turned it off, it has no longer frozen so far.

This is why I suppose that some background activities can still lead phones to hang. :smileyhappy:

And however, I think that all the entire thing we're discussing here is due just to more than one software bug, even the Sim thing, and not to faulty components, otherwise it would mean that too many Lumias were produced with bad hardware and I really don't think it's the case.

Please use plain text.