Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia Lumia - scratched screen

Counsellor
neilpfister

Nokia Lumia - scratched screen

Hi All,

I've had my Lumia 800 for just over a week now, and whilst I'm hoping the battery issue will be sorted soon, I have a new problem which is causing me a bit of concern. I had the phone on a wood table today with the screen down. The table obviously had a bit of grit on it, because as the phone was moved over it, it has scratched the gorilla glass screen.

I don't know much about gorilla glass, but I would have thought that it would be somewhat tougher than that. The scratches are pretty fine, but noticable, and are obviously really annoying considering that it is pretty much brand new.

Does anyone know if it is meant to be more resiliant, because I may just have a faulty screen and am wondering if I should take it back to Vodafone for a switch.

Thanks,

Neil

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iceytoa1

Yeah, I thought Gorrilla glass was meant to deal with small impacts, caught my small nail on it at just the right speed and angle, boom SCRATCHED.

Then after this I ACTUALLY TRIED to no avaial, which is kinda annoying a way.

Note to self, put a screen protector on the replacement (I'm getting one for the battery issue.)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JCVD

Your screen isn't scratched. It's the Oleophobic coating on top of the glass that got scratched (the anti-smudge stuff) .Unfortunitelly there's nothing you can do about it. Same thing happens on most phones with such coating (strated with the iPhone 3GS which was the first handset to feature this)..you will find tons thoundsands of people complaining about this..).
Please use plain text.
me_mighty

this is really odd  i thought that gorila glasses are actully tuff though i dont won the lumia although i am planning to  feel like i have to reconsider and we are not alone in the see thid guys also have the same issue http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1444656.htm nokia certainly need to think about that 

chrees

//forums.techarena.in/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I have an E7 that is 9 months ols and a 2 month old N9 , both with Amoled screens with Gorilla Glass and both with perfect screens, I keep them in my trouser pocket with keys and coins, however Gorilla Glass is not indistructable, it is just much stronger than normal glass, it does however scratch, Diamonds can be cut ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MuzicMad

I thought i found the perfect phone until now just seen all these little scratches on my nokia lumia 800 screen , makes it look cheap, i payed 400 pound for this dammit!!

Please use plain text.
Professor

Whether it's the screen or the protective coating......tthe fact is......you can see scratches on the screen.....therefore the screen is scratched

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tannjew

Maybe gorilla glas is nearly unscratchable - but it is far away from unbreakable. I accidently dropped it yesterday (from one foot height) and the screen is totally shattered.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
onebean

Me too - and I went to the sevice centre (here in Singapore) and they said Nokia doesn't have the spare parts!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
thegood85

I have the same problem. Glass broken after a fall of 30-40 cm. I live in Italy and Nokia is repairing it, although it's been 2 weeks now and they asked 200€ for the repair; considering the phone here is sold for 500€, it's more than one third of the whole phone!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
onebean

[ Edited ]

They said they'd call me when they get the glass replacement in from another country...

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Post edited because connotative language was used to bypass the filter.

Please use plain text.
Sage
VoodooKing

Hi all, those with tiny hairline scratches can use clear car wax to fill in those scratches. Then wipe with lint free cloth and the scratches are gone.

Please use plain text.
AkNa

few days ago my phone dropped from the side table of my bed on the floor. i picked the phone and checked it was off. i tried several times to restart the phone but all in vain. i dont know where nokia is going by making such a build quality however i bought this phone after watching many videos of nokia phone's build quality and test nokia is conducting on its products. but i am totally disappointed from lumia800. but thank GOD it was in warranty so sent it back to nokia for repair. see what happenes. fingers crossed.  :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
anthyme

I bought this phone on november, first I have the problems of phone that automaticaly shutdown after a few seconds or minutes ... After an echange I had a phone that seem to work well but after 1 month of using my phone i see big scratches on the glass and see it when the screen is on (especialy with white color) with bigs rainbow that realy break the user experience. I store the phone on my pocket with nothing else and take care of it !

I bought a Nokia leather case to protect the phone and the glass has contact only with the case, my fingers and my shirt (to dry it) and more an more annoying scratches come to the screen ... Is this a normal ?! Gorrila glass should be scratches resistant but previous phone with plastic (HTC touch) or glass (Iphone) don't have so many scratches after years of use !

Is there a problem with my screen ? How to prove it ? Is this under warranty ?

An enthousiast lumia 800 user degusting of rainbows on its screen :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
WhiteAlien

JCVD wrote:
Your screen isn't scratched. It's the Oleophobic coating on top of the glass that got scratched (the anti-smudge stuff) .Unfortunitelly there's nothing you can do about it. Same thing happens on most phones with such coating (strated with the iPhone 3GS which was the first handset to feature this)..you will find tons thoundsands of people complaining about this..).

I can add also that it's Nokia unique 3 layer anti-reflect screen. My guess is that one (or all 3) of those layers are on top Gorilla glass screen. 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/06/nokia-how-clearblack-display-works/

Please use plain text.
anthyme

Does this meen this is a normal using after less than 2 month ? I can't believe it ...

Please use plain text.