Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

XianZomby

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

Same problem here. Screen is completely locked and black  during a call so that you can't switch to dial-pad to enter numbers if you are calling into some online banking, you can't press the end call button, you can't switch to speaker and really can't do anything at all.

And "blowing on it" doesn't work. What a ridiculous distraction of a "solution" to this. You can see the camera lens is completely obscured with dust, under the glass. There's no reason to think the proximity sensor area isn't also filled with dust under the glass.

The way to fix this is to open the thing up and clean out the dust. Nokia should be doing this for free.

Nokia: right now there is no way to end a call until the other party hangs up. That's not how a phone is supposed to work.

Please use plain text.
clever4ever

Got the same problem on a Lumia 920 from swisscom. Bought it in december 2012.

OS Version: 8.0.9903.10

Firmware: 1232.2109.1242.1004

Hardware Revision: 1.0.0.0

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Smoguli

Same problem for me on a Canadian 920 with Rogers, bought early december.

OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware: 1232.5951.1249.0001
Hardware revision: 1.0.0.0
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

novim wrote:

Well I tried going to the store and later to a Nokia Service Point. They refuse to replace the phone, since it has already been 30 days after the purchase. It is clearly a manufacturing defect, and Nokia needs to assume responsibility.

They offered to try and fix the problem, but that means that I will have to live without a phone for two weeks.

93tid wrote: Nokia have assumed responsibility by offering to repair your phone for free under warranty as per standard terms.

I am sure they would be open to suggestions as to how you can have the phone and at the same time have it at the NCP for repair.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They need to exchange it, offering to repair it is not good enough. This is a faulty product and consumers have the right to cancel the contract, ask for a new product or free repair. They try to force me to use my third right, while I want my product to be exchanged.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Christer

I had this problem with my 920 and solved it -as meny others- by blowing along the edge. Now, either I removed some dust or -more likely- my breath condensated over something electronic inside. I guess, after solving the problems this way a few times more, the phone will die from humidity.

Then, tell the warranty people that you use to blow air into the phone to get it working...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Davidpmd

Same problem here... Such a shame, I love the phone, but I will switch back to Android. I wanted to give a chance to Nokia, I was trusting their technical skills, but it seems they can't build a proper proximity sensor.... Their only chance is to come up with a software solution, sending it back for replacement sucks...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SuperRich

JUST BACK FROM THE REPAIR CENTER AND THE SENSOR IS STILL BROKEN.

This is ridiculas now. 

My phone was just away for two weeks, and the problem is still there!  the screen is black in a call and it will not come back. 

THIS IS A PROBLEM THEY MUST SOLVE, NOT JUST BLAME IT ON A SCREEN PROTECTOR.

My phone dosent even have a screen protector, and I know where the sensor is. its totally clean and unobstructed.

What do I do now?!

Please use plain text.
ghostland86

I had the same issue and used a can of air and blew the front top of the phone and it is working normal.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SuperRich

Tried it. did nothing. so tried it some more. in slightly different places. but no, still broken. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BarryIQ

I have had the issue during my trip to Italy, where I was using a roaming SIM card and the call just won't shut down itself, and I think I have spent many $$$ extra on roaming calls due to that.

So I came back last week to my store and showed them the issues, they are kind enough to swap a new one to me right away. But they have told me they will not swap again even if I got the same problem.

I have been using the new phone for a couple of days now and so far it has been working fine.

This phone is really adorable if there is no stupid screen lockout issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
amcintire

I sent in my phone for repair and I received a replacement device. There appears to be less of a gap between the top of the screen and the body of the phone but dust has already started to collect behind the front facing camera . . . again. I'm hoping that the sensor issue doesn't pop up this time (I don't know why it wouldn't) so that I can wait awhile and send this phone in over the summer.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bensan

Also have the problem - non of the work-arounds work - going to try nokia etc tomorrow - phone near unsuable - voicemail and in-call features completely unusable

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sith1905

My phone was repaired about one month ago. But now the problem came back again....

Please use plain text.
Someone_in_NF

Same here, exact dust issue. Canned air does temporary band-aid

Purchased End of Nov 2012 in New York

OS 8.0.10211.204

HW Rev 1.0.0.0

FW Rev 1232.5951.1249.0001

If dust is getting is so easily, moisture condensation in general is next. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TobyGadd

I got tired of blowing on my 902 every couple of days to make it work as a phone, so I sent it to Nokia for repair. The front-facing camera had also accumulated a bunch of dust.

Nokia sent me a new phone, with a note explaining that the problem couldn't be fixed.

The new phone is perfect. No dust under the front-facing camera after two weeks of use. No proximity sensor problems.

In conclusion, it seems that Nokia shipped some dud phones that weren't sealed properly.

Please use plain text.
KarstenDK

Selse issue as everybody else. Bought the phone through 3 in Denmark November 29th. Have tried all the great advise apart from rebooting, without luck. Dust particles clearly visible on FFC. Went down to 3 today, was told this was first time they had heard about it, but they had had some phones that were creaking due to bad assembling. Could be same problem. Was told there will be a software update arriving next week, to be released to users beginning February. Was promised that I might be able to get a direct update from 3 next week. If that doesn't work it wlll go for repair or be changed. Otherwise absolutely great phone, and OS is really good. So please, Nokia, don't screw this up, it would be great to see some visible action from your side, goodwill is still with you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pbowles3

Ok.  Update on my long winded post (#115) from a few days back.  The issue of the proximity sensor came back within a day.  So, I first called Nokia.  My call was about 40 days after purchase.  Call went very smoothly... They emailed me a link, and said to fill out the online form (which included a pre-paid UPS 2nd day air shipping label), and send it in.  FORTUNATELY, I still had my old Samsung Focus to use, as well as the packaging/box from the new phone.  I then called my provider (AT&T), and asked them if they would switch my service back to the old phone (different sim card sizes, so couldn't just plop the new one in the old phone (not sure that (sim card swap) still works anyway??)).  Went to my local AT&T store.  Got it done in about 10 mins.  Then mailed my phone off.  Will post back when I get my phone/replacement back, and have tested it out.  Pledge to post if later the fixed/replacement phone screws up.  BTW, I asked both Nokia, and AT&T if they had heard/seen this specific issue.  Both could've been lying through their teeth, but said they had not.  AT&T rep even did a 'search' in their ticket system for 'proximity' issues, and she said nada.  Their primary complaint fr 920 customers is w/ battery and random power cycles.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Maric

Hi,

I can just say that I also have this issue with black screen during calls, i.e. impossible to use the keys or to hang up. Maybe it is time for Nokia to solve this... 

Turning off the automatic screen brightness temporarilly helped.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AbuS3oodQatari

now its REALLY FIXED ;-) but need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) )

Symptoms:

Experience screen and touch sensor switch off during a call, Notifications (the screen stays off, like if it was in a pocket) which doesn't turn on as usual.

Try:

If during a call you press and hold the upper left corner of the glass -just between the speaker and the upper left corner-  you will notice that the sensor works as expected.

I think :

Because of the layered nature of the phone internals design and the heavy use of ribbon connectors it had to be tight to connect the board with the sensor.

My Solution:

I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant)  -that comes self adheasive from one side-  and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors (Pictures attached) this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

AbuS3oodQatari wrote:

now its REALLY FIXED ;-) but need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) )

Symptoms:

Experience screen and touch sensor switch off during a call, Notifications (the screen stays off, like if it was in a pocket) which doesn't turn on as usual.

Try:

If during a call you press and hold the upper left corner of the glass -just between the speaker and the upper left corner-  you will notice that the sensor works as expected.

I think :

Because of the layered nature of the phone internals design and the heavy use of ribbon connectors it had to be tight to connect the board with the sensor.

My Solution:

I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant)  -that comes self adheasive from one side-  and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors (Pictures attached) this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal.

Good job! Pressing the upper left corner turns the screen of my phone on too. I am hesitant to do what you did myself though. That would void the warranty, would it not?

By the way, does that mean the dust problem and the sensor problem are two different unrelated problems?

Thanks again for your post.

Please use plain text.