Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

[ Edited ]

jorgje wrote:

93tid, looking at your last few replies (including that to my message), what are you effectively trying to contribute?

People here are sharing their experience with the proximity sensor issues and how it's being handled and/or solved, which is relevant for this topic. Let's keep it that way, instead of judging people to be "brave" and "arrogant".

My two cents.

I am trying to explain that refusing to submit the handset for a free repair under warranty to an authorised Nokia Care facility because one does not believe that it can be fixed is hardly the best way to have the problem solved.

Unfortunately, most people seem unable or unwilling to understand that and keep making post after post after post about Nokia not fixing the issue or Nokia refusing to simply give them a new handset because they think they are entitled to it. Wading through dozens of such posts is hardly useful for anyone, is it ?

Contributor
jorgje

I rest my case.

Regarding my problem with the 920, I am going to contact Nokia again to propose to let me send my phone to the Taiwanese service center to get it fixed. Given the fact that Nokia introduced this problem, I think it is no more than fair if they save me from the costs and time it takes to send it to Europe and back. In the end, it costs Nokia nothing extra to fix it here in Taiwan!

Contributor
WaleedRizk

93tib, if you are simply "trying to explain" about repairing our phones, then you seem to be going about it in a very aggressive way.

The fact of the matter is people don't want to be without their phones for weeks potentially, because

a) people have sent back their phones and have had the same issue occur with the "repaired" phone after the several week wait

b) people have sent back their phones, got refurbished units, and have had exactly the same problem occur

c) people are reluctant to have to give their phones up so soon after they bought them, especially if they don't have any other phone to use (let alone a Windows Phone)

d) people are constantly hearing how Nokia have not acknowledged the problem, so it doesn't give any confidence that they know how to fix it. Which is the reason that so many phones come back and the issue recurs.

I definitely have had issue with all of the above points. I do live a very busy lifestyle, so I don't have time to send it out but I probably will soon. There may seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel in the form of software updates, which I think is what most people are waiting for.

If we can fix the issue without giving up our phones for many weeks, then its worth holding on for!

Contributor
WaleedRizk

BTW, I can report that I have had the issue fix itself a coouple of times now over the past few weeks. The proximity sensor doesn't turn off the screen at all. It is wonderful to be able to use the keypad during a call, and hang up, but the only downside is that you have to use the wake up button to turn the screen off to avoid accidental pressing, and on when you need it.

This defect of the defect has happened twice now. When the phone loses charge and is rebooted, its back to the usual issue where the screen remains off instantly when a call is made, disabling the screen.

samp0

I had exactly same issue with my yellow L920. I managed to fix it several times by blowing to earphone so that I get dust away from proximity sensor. Last week I finally frustrated to this lousy building quality and decided to took my phone to service.

So I carried it to local DNA shop in Kempele Finland. They sent phone to Finnish service Optima with problem description "dust over proximity sensor and front camera". Estimate for service time was about two weeks.

But I got my phone back yesterday so service took only six days which was excellent in my opinion. Service report told that front camera and proximity sensor was cleaned. Nothing else information... So this keeps me wondering if problem will renew?!?

Anyway quite **bleep** building quality or mechanical designing problem in Nokia's 600EUR top model!!!
Counsellor

WaleedRizk wrote:

BTW, I can report that I have had the issue fix itself a coouple of times now over the past few weeks. The proximity sensor doesn't turn off the screen at all. It is wonderful to be able to use the keypad during a call, and hang up, but the only downside is that you have to use the wake up button to turn the screen off to avoid accidental pressing, and on when you need it.

This defect of the defect has happened twice now. When the phone loses charge and is rebooted, its back to the usual issue where the screen remains off instantly when a call is made, disabling the screen.

Same thing happened to me thrice.

Contributor
VincentBro

Exactly the same problem for my 920... For the 2nd time.

After 1 month, my first device had this dust problem. I Thought it was a software issue, and tried to initialize my phone. It never recovered from my attempt...

Orange (France) sent me a new one. It was one month ago, and I had the same black screen when I try to use the phone.
I think Nokia must find a hardware solution, not just a simple cleaning

Registered Member
Emacman123

The REAL SOLUTION!

Ok so any one that has an screen protector on the phone will make the sensor not work properly so the simple solution to this is ether cut that part of the protector off. Or remove the screen protector. Also dirt or what ever else on it will effect it as well. The sensor is right above the N of NOKIA not under the camera lens and blowing on it will do nothing.
Contributor
VincentBro

And if we don't have any screen protector ?

wow_fat

I had the same problem with my Lumia 920. I have it fixed now:

- Go to settings

- select illumination (Helligkeit)

- switch off automatic adaptation

- set to low, mid or high

--> try it again, should work now

Registered Member
Crank5000

The same problem started on my Lumia 920 the last 2 days. No screen protector on my phone. I used canned air to clean the ear piece and front camera but it didn't work. Changing the brightness setting from automatic to medium did the trick. Problem solved for now.

The fact that changing the brightness setting works makes me think it is a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Contributor
jorgje

Did the trick with the light sensor setting, but it does not fix the problem in my case.

I noticed that my screen was brighter than ever when I switched it to manual, though. Maybe my light sensor has a problem as well...

Contributor
kevinwehnau

just wanted to join in and get counted as having the same issue, etc...

Registered Member
Sphyr

Same issues. Changing the brightness had no effect. Blowing on it has no effect. Pressing upper left corner seems to be working for now...
Mobile Guru
93tid

Sphyr wrote:
Same issues. Changing the brightness had no effect. Blowing on it has no effect. Pressing upper left corner seems to be working for now...

That's hardly a proper fix, better take it to Nokia Care.

Registered Member
techguy77

Hi Everyone.  Jumping in here as I just had my 920 replaced under warranty terms at my local AT&T warranty service center.  They immeidately diagnosed the issue as being dust behind the glass and blocking the proximity sensor.  I was told to "not keep it in my pocket" which we all know to be both impractical and ridiculous.  I was glad to read about the "blowing" fix, but agree with everyone on here that Nokia needs to come out and admit they have an issue.  I've been a product manager in a massive technology company and not admitting to issues like this is simply unprofessional.  Nokia needs to address the issue and provide a clear and swift path to resolution; be that new phones with a new design or whatever, just fix the problem.  These phones are very expensive and such a device should receive top notch warranty service.  I'll be writing them a formal letter asking when a permanent acceptable fix will be in place.  Will be back when I hear from them. 

sdunnin

>>techguy77

Thanks for taking the time to write a letter to the mfg. Will be interested in any responses you receive.
Registered Member
alabamajones

i have troubled with this for weeks, only solution is to totally clean the area above the N in nokia , use lens cleaner and a clean tissue so its totally clean. after little use it has to be cleaned again. annoying

Its too sensitive Nokia must asap make a sw update making the proximity more relaxed.

br poul w
Registered Member
Nedyalkov

That's idiotic. Such an expensive piece to have so lame deffect. I'm beyond frustrated already. :cursing:

The worst part is that not being able to find it over here in Bulgaria, I bought it online from a resler in the UK, who in terms seem to have ordered it from France(not sure why, maybe due to shortages + providing me with the proper Euro power plug). After the issues started in part due to desparation i flashed it with portico, so I'm not really sure about my warranty anymore.

RoscoC

Just adding my name to a long list. No screen protector and no dust, as far as i can see, but the screen goes black whenever i commence a call. Have tried all manner of soft and hard resets. Phone's only a month old and is currently "sent to the repair centre", which is as much information as my provider, EE, can give me apparently. Irritating. Come on Nokia, sort yourselves out.