Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Contributor
dnlyko

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

The update is NOT the solution.

The 920 MUST be recalled.  Can you say DEFECTIVE

The front facing camera and the proximity sensor are exposed to the elements thus resulting in dust accumulating on them.

Nokia, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABE

Registered Member
watership

So this just started to happen to me as well.

Phone would not turn on the screen during a phone call.  Thought it was my case, nope, I had a very ackward phone call with a client while I tried to do anything.  Couldn't put it on speaker phone, enter in numbers, nothing.   

Considering all the work I do on the phone going from speakerphone to head during the day, this makes the phone almost useless.   Combined that in 4 out of 5 calls, the other line hanging up will not end my session.  When this happened before, the phone was in some sort of hung up state where the line was engaged and the phone thought the call was still ongoing so I couldn't unlock it.    Only a soft reset got me out of it.

I've used compressed air, used paper to move through the cracks, and I have even noticed the spotting/dust in the front facing camera.

What's the deal?  Hardware repair the only solution?  Should I go through my carrier or straight to nokia?

thanks,

jlax

Mine has this problem aswell. Since december 2012. I am getting fed up with this christmaspresent from hell - my lumia 920 has been to service two times now for this issue and tomorrow its going back to service again.. Do you know how annoying it is NOT to be able to end a call with somebody...

The amount of wasted time I have spent on setting this phone up over and over again and resetting it before sending in to service has also been a pain...

is this fair? To be a freaking testpig?!? I am really dissapointed in the reseller, serviceplace and nokia for not sorting me out a new phone! I accept that there is manufacturing faults sometimes - one could hope for a smooth repair or replacement but for me - I am beyond that. Do you think my next phone will ever be a nokia again?

Registered Member
spottybot

Tried soft reset

tried removing apps

took off screen saver

returned phone 

got a new 920,two weeks later same problem

nearly pulled what remains of my hair out

then found your suggestion to simply blow the dust out of the seam at the top of the phone,problem solved.

thanks, now a happy man again

nokia are lucky they have a loyal following.

jlax

its a manufacturing mistake..

my guess is that there is a piece missing that is suppose to protect the area of the proximity sensor part from dust..

blowing air or sucking out the air is just a temporary solution, its not going to work in the long run!

i spoke to the service place before easter and they claim to be able to fix the issue now! (not just cleaning and calibrating the lense and sensor..)

so basicly it takes nokia 6 months to come up with a part to solve the problem.. this solves it?!? time will tell when i get my phone back, third time lucky or else I am getting a non nokia phone...

hopefully they will assemble the phone better this time around aswell - but thats for another thread..

did anyone get any scratches on the back of the phone - new outta the box too? - but thats for another thread..

Registered Member
kperson

Having the same problem with the proximity sensor. The blowing this no longer works, only had the phone 8 weeks. We need a fix, you can't even use the phone for voicemail or anyone who requires you to enter numbers to navigate a menu, because you can never get to press the numbers. Seriously peed off with it now. I love my 920, we need a fix. Can't the sensor sensitivity be turned right down?
Counsellor
pxdolan

Re: Proximity sensor for - Lumia 920 Bad News --But there's Good news

This is REALLY good news. I'll have to call my device center to see if they have it in stock before going there.

This is my 2nd Lumia 920. The first had the problem -- VERY bad after 2 months and blowing helped. But I can see the dust over the camera lens and now my phone's gotten flaky again ... HUGELY disappointing that something so simple would be overlooked ... and really a little seal inside would have fixed the whole issue. It's not like Nokia hasn't had this problem before. I had it with the 6010 flip phone ... so much dust I could barely read the screen. With my E71, it was not a problem. But this is disappointing ... because I LIKE this phone ... more than any other I've had.

Has anyone tried a sealing method?

Counsellor
heulaup

Re: Proximity sensor for - Lumia 920 Bad News --But there's Good news

[ Edited ]

What is really good news, pxdolan? Have you found the cure which permanently fixes the problem? As for trying a home made sealing method I'm sure you are aware that opening your phone will invalidate its warranty.

Contributor
macronone

Have this problem permanently since 2 weeks after getting the phone. Pressing the power button a couple of times and then tapping end call quickly as the screen flashes on for a split second is what I've been doing. This works reasonably well but it's a bit of a joke. Just haven't had time to send the phone off to Nokia care.
Registered Member
petterihei

I checked a few pages and found two important advices to get the proximity sensor above Nokia-logo work again (well it works but dust makes it think it is on my ear even if it is not):

1.First aid: Squeeze the upper left corner of the phone - the display will come visible and you can end the call etc.

2. The fix:Use vacuum cleaner to take the dust away. I used it for every hole around the phone.

My 920 is two months old and I think it is not too bad now that I know what to do especially because the device is so nice to use. However it would be great if Nokia finds a solution and launches free repair program like there are for cars nowdays.

Registered Member
mccdan

I cannot believe it but your trick IS WORKING!

I had this problem with my first Lumina 920 and did a hard reset, which let me with a bricked phone (the famous gears). I had to send back my phone for repair at this time. Now, 2 months later, I have the same proximity sensor issue. I was going to send my phone for repair again when I saw your post. I tried your tips about blowing air along the top edge and... It worked! 

Thanks for sharing the tips and saving me the trouble to send back the phone to repair. I agree, it's a awfully performance for this phone.

Contributor
stormhalvorsen

No update in Norway yet. And even if the update fixes the issue, I doubt that it will be permanent.

Seems logical that if there is a wek spot where dust enters the phone, then merely adjusting the sensor sensitivity with a firmware update will only work until the phone eventually fills up with even more dust. Which will probably happen right about when the warranty runs out.

I find it incredible that on a Nokia support forum, after 18 pages of complaints, not a single Nokia support worker has added a comment to all of this!
Registered Member
eoftedal

I've had mine at a Nokia service center in Oslo. They used pressured air to remove the dust, which worked for a while, yet the dust keeps sneaking in, and now it was back to black screen again. However I saw the reply from Holzlondon on page two, where he suggested shining a bright light into the sensor. And that actually worked for me. I put the camera up towards a spot while using the front camera, and then it started working again. Maybe the bright light caused the proximity censor to recalibrate?
Registered Member
Zozu

I m facing the same problem. I went to nokia care center n they refuse to replace the phone. I m duped...
Advisor
Kordreng

on my 2nd period after a repair and dust enters as well as Black screen during calls - I think im gonna visit Denmark headquarters of Nokia today!
Someone_in_NF

Although dust still gets in at the FFC, the blanking issue has stopped since the firmware update couple weeks ago. They even mention it in the update notes.

Counsellor
pxdolan

My 2nd 920 too. It starts to happen & I hit it with compressed air. However: firmware version 1308 made it worse. I rolled back to 1249 and it got better again :-) not sure if I'll be taking anymore firmware updates....
TH1968

I had problems with two 920's, I now have an HTC One.  I was lucky the shop agreed to the swap.

I found this really helpful;

http://bariseris.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/nokia-lumia-920-proximity-sensor-problem/

Registered Member
userNL

Had the same problem. Nokia repairs it with new seal. Only irritation you have to do without phone for 2 weeks.

Contributor
stormhalvorsen

1308 firmware update came out for most of Europe just an hour or two ago. It addresses the issue and in most cases, mine included, it works. The question remains if it will still work after a few more months of dust building up in there.