Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is acti...

Contributor
nick_bishop

Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is active

My apologies if this is a repost.  I tried looking back various pages to see if this issue has been addressed, but I could not find one that dealt specifically with this issue.  There have been a few instances in other general threads, but I feel this issue deserves its own thread.

I recently purchased a black L900, which I exchanged for a white one (amazing phone).  The black phone did not experience this problem.  When low brightness is activated (both through automatic adjustment and manual adjustment), grey colors take on a noticable purple tone.  I have a few images that don't show it very well, but I can send them in anyway.

Other than this issue, this is the best phone I've ever used/seen/owned.  I have no major qualms with it.  This is more of an annoyance than a problem.  But, if it can be addressed, that would be extremely appreciated.  I would not like to exchange the phone, as I have this one setup just how I like it...

Nick

Please use plain text.
Professor
Shoey5

Re: Purplish tint on greys when low brightness is active

I get the same problem. Easy to duplicate, just take brightness off of auto and set it to LOW. Keyboard is the most noticable with the purple tint on dark background like SMS. I've had to take mine off auto and set mine to Medium thinking it's a software issue and will be fixed.

Now I'm hearing some users don't get this problem so can we get confirmation if it's a software or hardware problem. Here is a picture of Brightness off auto and set to low and medium.

Please use plain text.
TreeFittyZ

You are not alone!

http://wmpoweruser.com/some-nokia-lumia-900s-having-a-purple-problem/

Here's hoping Nokia can reolve this one.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gahbmwm5

[ Edited ]

Yes indeed....quite shocking for these issues to be appearing/surfacing for Nokia's Flagship device....

http://winsource.com/2012/04/26/white-lumia-900-experiencing-screen-problems-on-low-brightness/

Combine this issue with the Capacitive buttons issue (which lock up the device for me) on most calls...

Then the horrid rattle noise....

Thank goodness that I have till May 23nd to exchange the device..and am patiently awaiting a call from my AT&T Corp store...when a new stock of White Lumia(s) will come in....stated plural here because I will test everyone of them prior to the exchange...

I appreciate that Nokia Labs is investigating these very troubling issues...(Thanks Kosh for your info on these matters)...however when main stream online media starts picking-up and printing out articles it really does not bond well for the combined $250 million marketing campaign from Microsoft, Nokia, and Windows Phone Premier Partner (here in the US) AT&T...

Hopefully these isues will be rectified by Nokia in a speedy manner...

Nokia Lumia 920 Glossy Red
Please use plain text.
rdef

If there is no communication by Monday that this is being addressed soon by Nokia, I for one will be returning and moving back to Android. I really want to like this phone, but I'm on my second one already, and I don't want to have to exchange again...
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

Seems there is a large majority of people that have this issue -  Would like to know if it is a Software or Hardware bug - if it is hardware there are going to be alot of returns.

Side by side with my Dell Venue Pro it looks HORRIBLE, and the scrolling is way less responsive, even more disappointing given the DVP is an old device.

Would be nice for Nokia to issue a statement on this, as it is not in there interest to have people doing HW returns, only to get another purple screen.

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

In order to be able to aid the investigation into this behaviour I would appreciate if you could provide me with the following information in a PM;

ref; Purple_tint

Device model:

Device IMEI number:

OS version:

firmware revision :

Hardware revision :

a short but detailed desctiption of your experience with this

You will find this information in Settings > About > more information

Again, send the information IN A PERSONAL MAIL and NOT in a reply to this post as this is personal information we do not want you to post in public.

Thanks for your co-operation and patience!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
niteskye

Thanks Kosh. Looking forward to hearing if this is a software or hardware problem. I've sent over my info.

Here is a video of the problem (in comparison with a Samsung Focus): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4IfVdyuKq0

Please use plain text.
Professor
Shoey5

I think what we really need to know at this point is how are we going to get it fixed.

Is Nokia going to be able to fix it through software, or if it's hardware? And how can we get a unit that doesn't exhibit this problem as a lot of people (who can) have put in for a replacement and got one back that has the same issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sparkedfire

Add me to the list.  All of the Lumias in stock at my local store had the issue accoring to an AT&T rep.  Store reps are clueless to the issue and dont know what to do.

Please use plain text.
pmaroun

I have gone through two phones and each of them has this issue.  The only workaround is to turn the auto-brightness off and set it to medium or high which is limiting.  My 30-day return period ends next week.  The local ATT store doesnt have any more Lumia's in stock.  Should I return this one also or wait for a fix?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sparkedfire

Kindly ask a store rep to extend your return window.  Explain your issues.  They will note the account.  I got an extra 3 weeks added.

With that said, I'm definitely considering getting a different phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nick_bishop

On one hand, it's good to see that I'm not the only person who's concerned about this issue.  On the other hand, it's very concerning that so many users are experiencing the same issue.  Thanks, Kosh, for taking our issue seriously.  I'm sure that most consumers, like myself, are very happy with our L900s, and Nokia's show of concern is very appreciated.

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sparkedfire

Only problem is I'm on my fourth phone and am still having issues with purple and LTE.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Shoey5

No point in returning them until Nokia comes up with an offical policy as to if this will be fixed via software or if a hardware replacement will be required.

Got a Tweet from Nokia indicating that so far they believe it's a software issue that can be addressed via a patch.

Best way to address it until then is just set your phone to Settings\Brightness

Auto = Off

Level = Medium

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
VizagDude

I did not have this problem in the phone I've pre-ordered for me and my wife (Black and Cyan). Over the weekend, for some reason, my phone's screen froze and the touch screen was not working. The hardware buttons, the camera were all fine. I could even receive calls via BT headset. But I was not able to switch off the device as well since I could not slide the screen for shutting down.

In any case, I took it to a store and they exchanged it for me with another brand new Black one. As soon as I went home and tried to unlock it, I freaked out looking at the keypad color. It was a different UGLY color altogether. I immediately went back to the store to exchange it. They did not have any more in stock. I was planning to go there tonight to exchange.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sparkedfire

The problem is it looks like every 900 in stock has the problem.  That is not good for people swapping out their devices that had problems.  It's a double wammy.  Your phone broke, well here is a new one that's also broken.  I don't intend to sound harsh but it's not fare to those that just want a phone that works after our last one was defective.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
smahend2

AT&T called their Nokia rep regarding this issue.  Nokia is scheduled to release an update by May 14th to address the purplish tint.  (They expect it to be released sooner, but promised by May 14th).  AT&T extended my 30 day window to allow me to return after may 14th if the software fix doesn't address the problem.  If your 30 day window is approaching I'd call AT&T to extend it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sanjeev40084

This just sucks. I bought Nokia Lumia 900(cyan) on April 9th(bday gift) and it had keyboard rattling issue as mentioned here(http://www.wpcentral.com/lingering-issues-nokia-lumia-900-purple-screens-dead-buttons-rattles) so this afternoon i went to store to exchange it. I got the new lumia 900 and i found it didn't had any keyboard rattling issue. On the way back, tried to use my phone and found the keyboard being purple. I took it back in the store and since the lights were all bright in store, i couldn't reproduce the issue. I came home and found the keyboard purple again. I really wish Nokia fix this issue with the software update or recall the hardware. I love the phone but all these small issues have started giving me second thought on phone. Happy Windows Phone user but Sad Nokia user. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
TreeFittyZ

Sanjeev - you can reproduce this in store by manually setting the brightness to low.

Please use plain text.