Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: SAR Rating Lumia 920

Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Cant please everyone can you.The phone is safe to use.whoops wheres my tin foil cap.....

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Registered Member
Levir3

A company called Pong (US) developed phone cases that redistribute te radiation (away from the head - a reduction of 60-90% is claimed and scientifically proven) whilst maintaining signal strength.

If you google "pong case" you will find all the info you need.

I'm sure they will have one for the Lumia in the foreseeable future.

Downturn in this case is that it makes an already heavy phone even heavier.

I agree with you that in cases of "radiation" from whatever source it is better to be safe than sorry.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Waste of money an taking advantage of the TFHC (TinFoilHatClub)

Falls in to the same catagory of Windows Registry 'cleaners'

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Registered Member
Levir3

The one professor is adking the other:

"What 's the basis of your statement?

Haven't you read the laboratory reports that easily can be found if you google less than 5 minutes?

Counsellor
simphonique6760

Hi Levir3,

Thanks for sharing! Pong cases are quite attractive too! Hope they'll come up with some designs for Nokia phones someday soon.

At least the cases will give peace of mind to those who are very concerned about radiation levels and exposure.

Regards

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Nope, they'll just get your cash for a totally bogus and unnecessary purchase.

Whether they work or not is irrelevant. The SAR values for any Nokia phone are well within any legal requirements so perfectly safe without the extra 'shield'.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

*ignores mindless blabber in the room*
kjit

Hi, I just bought my Lumia 920 a few days ago and since the first day of usage, I feel the pain in my ears and a slight headache:smileysad: Everytime I use my phone, with or without internet, just for a while, i feel so uncomfortable, like i'm going down with a flue. I tried not using the phone for a couple of hours and then I would feel better. I definitely think it has something to do with the SAR of the phone. What should I do? I just spent so much money on this phone so I can't afford to buy another one; but i don't think I can continue if this is how it makes me feel. Can I exchange with a different model or something; please advice.....

Community Manager
tiny_chef

[ Edited ]

Hi kjit,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

Sorry to hear that. The governmental and regulatory agencies have established SAR limits under which cell phone use has been determined by them to be safe. All Nokia phones are designed to comply with the relevant governmental SAR level. See this link for more info: http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/people-and-planet/emf-health/sar/sar-information/

I have sent a private message, please see your Inbox. Thanks!

Final Banner
Professor
caitlin1759

Just pointing out there is natural radiation from any number of sources, if you live in a building containing granite for example.

The city of Aberdeen (Scotland, not Cobain 's birth place) has a huge number of granite buildings offices, public and resudential built from local granite quarries . It is very beautiful as the granite sparkles in the sun. I lived there for almost 10 years. There is no evidence the residents of Aberdeen are more or less healthy than the rest of the population of Scotland.
Advisor
sjseventyeight

I think it's reasonable to be concerned about the long term (although low) levels of exposure we are placed under these days.

However, rather than avoid a particular brand/phone, just take precautions to limit that exposure. Suggestions already made here such as using handsfree speakerphone etc.

Children on the other hand, should not be exposed to mobile phones at all. The risks are much greater for younger people.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

@sjseventyeight

Please provide us with a source or proof for these claims. I think the people and institutions involved with determining the maximum SAR to be safe have a bit more insight in these matters. While (as with anything) some people may be extremely sensitive to radiation it is safe to say that as long as a phone SAR value is below the legal limits it is safe to use.

Compare it to peanuts, just because some people have an allergy that may even kill them when they eat one peanut in general we do not consider peanuts to be harmful beyond being high on calories.

Some people may be more sensitive to radiation and there may be a specific individual phone with a defect causing more than normal radiation. Nokia has _very_ strict and proper procedures in place to analyze this and act on such reports. I have no doubt they will act swiftly and adequately towards any such reports.

---

Advisor
sjseventyeight

[ Edited ]

I base my statements on the health & safety information provided to me by my employer. One of the UKs longer established networks. I have worked in and around this technology for over a decade and seen my fair share of research etc. In the short time we have been using the technology, possible long term effects are FAR from established. What is known, is that EMF and other forms of electromagnetic radiation etc do interact with the physiology of our bodies to varying degrees. Because we are told the phone operates within limits largely deemed to be safe, is by no means a guarantee that it wont affect you, and keep in mind, various countries define SAFE with vastly different limits. The WHO recently classified mobile phones as possibly carcinogenic, meaning there are unknown risks involved. As I said, I wouldnt worry whilst we wait for conclusive evidence but I would heartily recommend taking basic precautions. Whilst there is a great deal science can prove, there is a great deal more it doesnt. However, if you choose not to believe there may be any risk, that's entirely up to you. Even more so, enjoy it. Im also a smoker, I know the risks but I enjoy it nonetheless ;-)

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There have not been any scientific studies which have proven anthing like what you are claiming. The best some have been able to come up with is that maybe it might be possible that given the right conditions there may be... and so on.

These studies have been going for many, many years and across generations. How long do we have to study this before a reasonable conclusion can be draw which levels are safe? In my opinion current SAR regulations are well below what woudl be considered even an increased risk or some damage or infuence on your body. The phones we are talking are then even firther below that level.

It has been established and proven that smoking kills or at least wil always damage your body. So the two do not compare. Smoking kills, period. And even wih that proven there are many who choose to asphalt their lungs and grow old doing so.

If you look long enough you will find something wrong with anything around you, and I mean anything..

---

Advisor
sjseventyeight

"If you look long enough you will find something wrong with anything around you, and I mean anything.."

This is exactly my point. I'm not having a dig at this phone or any other in particular, why not be cautious, just in case?

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Then stop eating most foods, especially processed food, stop using the internet, do not fly or drive a car, heck do not leave your house.

I mean there is common sense and there is paranoia. Sure I believe that holding a 2W radio transmitter to your head for the better part of the day might not be the smartest thing to do but how amny people do that?

I am not saying you are right or wrong, just that the paranoia must stop. I also feel that a post like the one a few above should not be here. It could be a prank, it can be serious. In the first case it can do more harm then good, in the latter the person involved should have himself checked as well as probably hand in the phone for some serious testing.

I have no doubt there can be people who might respond badly to the radiation coming from the phone but that is the same as how some people are allergic to peanuts and will go into a fit when they even ingest a very small quantity. That does not make peanuts a health hazzard as such and he same goes for these phones and the radiation they obviously produce.

I don't think we disagree here so let's just leave it at that..

---

Counsellor
heulaup

Yes I agree there are more important things than SAR rating to worry about when you buy a Lumia 920. Far more.
kjit

Anyway, after all that i went through, i traded in my lumia just after 3 weeks of purchase....with almost 50% loss in price, due to windows phone not being so popular and all....lets just say i've learnt my lesson.....and i'm done buying any new phones, especially nokia!!!!!

Contributor
razeus

Hello,

I agree with this complaint. Nokia can decrease SAR values on Lumia (other companies protect our life as Samsung). I see a similar issue with high SAR with Sony Ericsson, but this company has a very good response for your clients or customer; they decrease SAR values for next model as Xperia Z, they listen your customer.

I buy a cellphone if SAR is under 1,0 W/Kg.

Regards.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

And please do not forget to wear your tin foil hat..

---