Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WP8 Nokia Lumia 810 "Other" Storage!

Contributor
BBMOHR48

I haven't been receiving any feedback from any one of the big wigs so I posted my information on Facebook about an hour ago, tagged MS, N, WPCentral and it was just removed. So irritated!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sithick

To get rid of all these 'Other' storage issues, @Microsoft please allow apps to be installed directly in SD Card or @Nokia please develop an app to move apps from phone memory to SD Card. That's enough.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

This is well documented, confirmed and announced to be fixed in the coming WP8 update. In the meantime Nokia has provided a solution in the latest firmware update so what kind of new information are you looking for here?

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

There is nothing to be fixed. It's just the way Windows work. All Microsoft can do is make the storage more efficient but the 'Other' folder cannot be eliminated. Almost anything you do increase the size of this folder, even storing photos and music on the sd card. Neither can apps be installed on the sd card because of the way the os access memory. So this makes any WP8 phone with 4GB internal storage impractical. Even 8GB is pushing it. Get at least 16GB or be prepared to hard reset your phone every few months.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Most certainly there is an issue with the way the OS handles ' other'  storage. While it should work as advertised (OS takes whatever space it can under other storage but releases it as sson as required elsewhere) it doesn't and this has been confirmed, identified and will be fixed by MSFT in a coming update.

Nokia has released the Storage checker app to 'work around' the issue and no also offers some extra functionality susch as enabling storing maps data on SD card where possible in the latest beta of the app (requires Firmware 1308 or better)

http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Storage-Check

Lumia Storage Check beta can be used to show a detailed breakdown of the phone memory usage and do something about it. The app shows you an overview and details on the second page, including space taken by:

• Apps - with app data included and sorted by size on further detail page
  • NEW: Maps - you can now manage maps from here and store them on SD card if your device has one
  • Temporary files - temp files created by the system, some of which can be deleted with the
  • Photos
  • Music
  • NEW: Videos shown separately
  • Office docs (including OneNote notebooks, copies of docs accessed from SharePoint and SkyDrive)
  • Email+contacts
  • Ringtones
  • System (fixed, usually 1.9 GB)
  • Other (this includes stuff that user has little control over)

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
squibcakes

paulheu, the Storage-Check does not apply to the Lumia 810 at this time - the link you provided states that.  I called Nokia support to find out when the 810 users could expect to see the update.  He said that the best thing the users could do was to apply pressure on the Nokia support developers - show them that we really want and need it.  He said the best form was in chat sessions where the transcripts could be forwarded directly.  Please, everybody - contact Nokia ASAP.  He said that there currently is no target date to get this update out to the 810.  I guess it doesn't help that T-Mobile is dropping the 810.  Losers. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JmarkSanchez

[ Edited ]

i have the same problem too (lumia 820)..the "other storage"  is getting bigger and biggger everyday.. my other storage is now 3.5 gb of space!! shrink storage is not working anymore ,, need the update (1308) so badly here in the Philippines.  Lumia 820 is almost a perfect phone, but with that kind of bug, and you cant install apps in sd card, this phone is USELESS!..

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

[ Edited ]

null..............

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

i didn't have a lot in my 'other' folder but i thought i'd try it anyway. i already did this before but wasn't able to take note exactly how much it saved me. now i did :squint:

BEFORE : other folder is 655.86mb

AFTER : other folder is 637.04mb

18mb is not much but i reckon it will be more beneficial to those who have most / more stuff in their 'other' folder.

@jmark ...just incase you haven't yet (aside from updating your firmware), try these:

- clear IE cache

- clear 'search' history

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
avnera

I also have this issue and I'm at the point that I need to reset the phone to get rid of 4.8Gig.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jazzabrazza

I just tried doing this on my Lumia 620 to see if it would help release some space (<1MB left after using Facebook app and uploading some photos to skydrive, tried moving them to different folders too) but it wouldn't let me copy anything to my phone at all. Just got an error message saying "not enough free space on the device" A reset it is, then. Storage Check Shrink Storage and other apps do nothing to help any more.

Please use plain text.