Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: When is tethering being added to Lumia 800

Gemo53

I've just bought a sim adaptor to put my brand new micro sim into my ooooold HD2 to get tethering back.... i' ll wait a while before using my Lumia.. or selling it :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grewhorn

Same here.....was using HD2 running WP7, moved to Nokia 800 (wanted the 900).....now moved back to HD2, a two year old phone that runs rings round this Nokia *toy*. This should have been the 710.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bhavv

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with network operators, I got my upgrade done o Feb 1st, and changed to T mobiles's full monty 36 price plan, which includes fully unlimited data, tethering and Voip. 3 have also offered the same for a very long time now on the one plan, just becuase O2, Voda and Orange are unbelievable terrible for data is not an excuse for Nokia to purposefully have disabled this feature on the Lumia 800!

When I upgraded there were only two phones I was interested in, Lumia 800 and Galaxy Nexus, and T mobile only carried the Lumia 800. Everything about the phone itself is 100% perfect for me, easy to use, wonderful screen quality, perfect built in browser, powerful processor and plenty of ram / storage, great games on the marketplace ... Yet everyday when I turn my PC on, I have to swap my sim card back into my obsolete X10 Mini Pro to be able to use the unlimited tethering that I am paying T mobile for.

I read that the Lumia 900 will support tethering right out of the box! Why is there still any excuse to disallow tethering on the 800 when the 900 is already planned to support it?

Please use plain text.
JapeX

[ Edited ]
I've just bought Lumia 800 and the first thing I've tried to do is tether with my iPad. I've been doing this since my Motorola Milestone, them with Motorola Atrix (both running Android). But last year i bought a HTC Mozart that came without tethering. Then i changed back to my old Atrix just because of tethering. So finally in December there was an update and my Mozart with Mango was able to tether. But as i bought HTC Mozart was just to try WP 7, it was just a toy for me and as I liked WP platform i decided to have a real phone, with design, gorilla glass, better battery, etc. The best choice seemed to be Lumia 800, even lacking front face camera and LTE. ( I would probably upgrade to 900, now that is was announced). And now for the first time ever, i have a Nokia device that was supposed to bring Nokia and MS back to the game, and surprisingly No Tethering again.... Its supposed to be a Flagship device, the best one.... Well, my first experience with Nokia was to get back my full featured Motorola Atrix. Truly disappointing. Today I've updated my Lumia to 7.10.8107.79 and still no tethering. Any idea when its going to be released or if its going to happen? Thanks and cheers from Brazil.
Please use plain text.
magic_mushy

It's very simple. Nokia promised tethering 4 months ago. Still no clear explanation, timeline or release date. I will be avoiding this product. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hulahoops

It's sad that I've taken steps to resurrect my old HTC Desire. For various reasons to with both Windows Phone /and/ the Lumia 800, the Desire is more able to satisfy my needs at this time.

Tethering is one of those needs and I really can't wait any longer for Nokia to get their game together.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
afreitag

Hello Nokia wake up!
Your Lumia's are great Phones, i like more than iphone or android! But without TETHERING you make the customer angry. And you are now in the start phase, why kill a cool system at the start with obvious features? *stupid*

Please use plain text.
Contributor
yfbc

Coming from a long line of Nokia phones that have always had the ability to tether I am very disappointed that the Lumia 800 does not have this feature.

My previous phone to the Lumia was a HTC 7 Pro (the only non Nokia phone I have had since my first ever phone) and this was eventually granted ICS by HTC.

My Lumia is SIM FREE so there are no carrier restraints in regards to firmware; To be blunt there is absolutely no reason the 800 should not have tethering.

I hope someone from Nokia takes our concern seriously.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Nokia have already stated officially at MWC 2012 that tethering will be made available for the 800 and 710 by a software update, whilst the 900 and 610 will have it from launch.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
yfbc

93tid wrote:

Nokia have already stated officially at MWC 2012 that tethering will be made available for the 800 and 710 by a software update, whilst the 900 and 610 will have it from launch.

Source?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yfbc

Excellent.

Let us hope they deliver then.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stivoberlin

They say it will come ... But its not coming before at least 2-3 months. Because I can confirm you that the next firmware will NOT activate tethering ...

According how Nokia stay focused on creating plenty of unfinished phones and NOT focused on creating a 100% feature phone. We will have the tethering by the time the lumia 800 will be out of date, by September or later. So we will all feel disappointed with what we bought ... Kind of feeling that already ...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stivoberlin

And the worst thing is that nobody from Nokia told us where lays the problem ...
they just say it will come ... It will come ... It will come...
Nokia is really taking its customers for fools ...
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

[ Edited ]

I really need tethering for the Easter holidays...I'll be very disappointed without it....would love a decent camera patch too.

Moderator's note: Post edited. Discussing any rumours about officially not yet announced or possibly upcoming Nokia products is not allowed. Please refer to the Guidelines.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
barkavi

really good ...........
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bhavv

[ Edited ]

Hopefully this information is ok to post then since the 'rumor' wasnt, this is from official Q+A with Nokia on the Lumia 900:

http://www.mobot.net/nokia-lumia-710-800-tethering-update-39400

http://nokiaconnects.com/2012/03/13/nokia-lumia-900-your-questions-answered/

Q: When will the tethering update for the Lumia devices be pushed out?

A: It will be in coming soon for 800 and 710 via Zune update, for 610 and 900 it will be available at launch.

This is the official information from Nokia that the 'rumors' are being specualted on.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bhavv

I also just got this reply yesterday from nokia support:

[quote]Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.

We appreciate your interest for Nokia products. Please be advised that Microsoft takes very seriously meeting (and exceeding) the requirements outlined by agencies such as the FCC in the USA. They felt it was really important to fully address the concerns raised by recent FCC regulations before enabling this feature and are optimistic they can deliver on these requirements though a software update and are working diligently on that now.

[b]Our aim is to introduce wifi tethering as an update to existing products early in 2012. As of now, we will be unable to provide the exact date of when the tethering will be available on the Nokia Lumia 800. [/b]

We would like to ask for your kind patience and understanding regarding this matter. Again, thank you for your continous support for Nokia products and services. 

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.[/quote]

An awkward date to post it on, but its a real reply.

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

[ Edited ]

We need tethering now.  It took Nokia only 9 months to release a Windows Phone, but more than an extra 4 to add a basic tethering function.

AGAIN I must repeat,,,,, EUROPE/ASIA are not ruled by the FCC or Microsoft....so roll it out here first and let the US keep using Iphone, they NEVER bought Nokia's anyway.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Professor
kevgallacher

Tethering is not a basic feature, it is an advanced feature which not all phones and carriers support. It is not even all that an important feature to be honest. Not everyone uses it. It is becoming more and more requested with faster speeds and larger data limits. But you will find that most carriers don't allow it or charge extra for it. Nokia have stated it is coming and that it is up to Microsoft to release it with the next OS update, it will not come earlier than that. It will be included with the Tango update which is due very soon.
To all those that say they need it, then this should have been something you considered when buying the phone in the first place.
Please use plain text.