Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: contacts

Counsellor
cintwo
Accepted Solution

contacts

[ Edited ]

If you have a windows phone there's no way you can connect to any other device to upload contacts and pictures, it won't connect to your old phone, to your old suite and to the computer not even to your old SIM because it's a micro. Pratically you need to type in by hand all your contacts back again because they are living in the future! And remake all the pictures. Either you can use their own akward server called the cloud or the even more akward sky drive that is a server which server we don't know located where who knows, tick a 4000 pages long disclaimer because it's actually unsafe but they will tell you you accepted it......just to transfer all that of 50 cm from your pc to the phone. Thanks a lot for using thetechnoloy wisely, this is the downturn the people do not have time to waste on your frilly things so have a thinking. Thanks

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

sorry to hear you are having a challenge with your contacts.

the process is actually quite simple. when you have a windows phone, you have a live or hotmail or outlook.com email address that is associated to your device, and if you have a nokia, you also have a nokia account as well to get you the nokia specialties.

your contacts are all saved to your live account automatically. you can do the same if you have a google account.

the process is nothing new. it has been pretty much a standard with any phone you may have had in the last 5 years, so long as it is a smart phone (ios/android/wp/symbian (ovi))

so, if you have a windows device, wp8, than transfering your pictures and videos and rintones, etc is quite easy. just connect your device to your pc with a cable and drag all of them out of the folders to you pc and thats it. not too daunting.

as for your contacts, go to your live account online, go to your People/manage/export and you can export your contacts to csv (anothher standard format) and import to google or apple...

not much of a big deal.

hope that helps
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Counsellor
cintwo

[ Edited ]

I can understand that, but I don't want to upload my contacts, photos or documents online, with my old phones I used my pc to store and back them up regardless you could have the opportunity of a free space on a server. For this reason I think the bluetooth either the memory mass should be both fully working it'd be an additional functionality for people that are concerned with privacy issues. It's also useful when you don't have an internet connection, if you travel a lot you often find yourself without any signal whatsoever or very slow

Mobile Visionary
rich

Not sure you've said what phone you have and from what phone you are looking to copy contacts.

On the 920 is an app call 'Transfer my Data', and on the 800, 'Contacts Transfer' both allow you to pull contacts from phones via bluetooth.

Photos can be transferred from PC to either 920 or 800 (or similar)

Counsellor
cintwo

[ Edited ]

I have a Lumia 710 originally WP 7 now upgraded to WP7.5 I doidn't get the last upgrade to WP7.8 yet by  the way. It doesn't have any option to transfer/backup contacts from the pc if not copying all the content of the phone online. The bluetooth isn't connecting to Symbian phone so pratically I can't transfer my contacts from the Nokia C7 to it. Are the 920 / 820 enabled to transfer contacts to the pc or to any Android/Symbian phones directly without using Zune or Skydrive?

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

820 and 920 are more or less the same as the 710 in this respect. You have your Contacts Transfer app whch transfers over bluetooth or you use your Live or Gmail account over the cloud. 

Counsellor
cintwo

[ Edited ]

Hello, thanks for replying to me. What Contacts Transfer app are you using? My phone doesn't allow any bluetooth transfers. Pratically if I switch on the bluetooth on it fails to pair with my Nokia C7 (Symbian) saying the phone isn't supported. I've had a look at the Nokia video that explains how to transfer contacts via bluetooth but it doesn't apply to my Lumia 710 because it's not pairing with any other phone or pc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOH3nBRbtHo&feature=youtu.be) :blink:

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

There should be a Nokia Contacts Transfer app in the Marketplace. Didn't you use this? 

http://www.nokia.com/ie-en/support/product/lumia800/userguide/?action=onlineuserguidepagechange&pFil...

Counsellor
cintwo

Yes I did but I didn't d/l any application from the marketplace, I used the one on the phone, and that isn't pairing with any phone or pc, surely not with my old Nokia C7 which is a Symbian, or with my even older C6-01 Symbian Belle, but if you say it's a different application to be d/l I'll have a look in the marketplace. Anyway my Lumia is a WP 7.5 I didn't receive the upgrade to 7.8 yet, I hope that'll fix this problem. I am not really sure what exactly the bluetooth can do in Lumia phones, so I am puzzled, for now it seems restricted

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I thought there was an update. So do try the one in Marketplace and see if it is the same. If it is then it should say you already have it. I did connect to my N8 which was at that stage running Anna, I think. WP7.8 has not been released but is expected soon. All failing you do have the option of waiting for this. 

However, I do encourage you to look at the Live or Gmail option. It is the way of the future. I switch between 6 phones on a daily basis. The ability to sync each and every one of thos phone with the version of the could which is common denominator, allows me to pick up any phone, sync, and be sure I have the latest data on it. Because of this, resets and phone changes are no longer an issue for me.  

Counsellor
cintwo

Thank you very much indeed, I solved my problem, for everyone interested in it I had already the contacts transfer application on my phone before the upgrade to 7.5 so I didn't think of it, because in the marketplace was showing as I already d/l it. What I did, thanks to your suggestioin, was to uninstall it and reinstall the new application,  so now it's working pairing to Symbians. Thanks again, problem solved... for now:smileyhappy:

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Good to hear it worked. :smileyhappy:

Counsellor
cintwo

Yes it did, it's not pairing with my PC though hopefully it will in the future upgrade or for the latest Lumias. Thank you:thumbsup:

Contributor
axxxwell

hi,i have problem... I can't open contacts. Any error. Please help me. Reset no help. I'm sorry i don't s
peak english well.
Contributor
axxxwell

i have nokia E5-00
Registered Member
Nedryerson

hello, I just joined the community. how do I post please ?
Contributor
QUEENUSA

I made the mistake of getting a Nokia 820. The store transferred my contacts. All I got was names and #'s. NONE of the addresses are there. That's just the tip of this large 'burg. Waited 2 yrs to get a smartphone, and this is what I ended up with. There must have been a push to sell this w8 phone. I hate this phone, now I'm stuck with it. Hate it.