Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

lumia 920 soft reset needed if charged wirelessly

dennisthemenace

lumia 920 soft reset needed if charged wirelessly

Hi there, i have just got a Lumina 920 on t mobile, its a fantastic handset but i have one issue, if i use the wireless charging pad and leave the phone for more than 30mins i have to press and hold the unlock and volume down button. Is this likely to be a software or a hardware issue?

has anyone else had a problem?

Registered Member
OnyeOji

Re: lumia 920 soft reset needed if charged wirelessly

I had a similar issue, but my phone was not charging at the time. I did notice that the back got very hot before this happened.

It appears that the screen stops working, but the phone is still on. When I connected it to my computer i could browse the files on it etc.

I had a to perform a soft reset to resolve the issue and reboot the phone.

Registered Member
otaku19

Same happened to me, I was just listen music. but before that I disabled the tap and send and used the wireless charged the nigth before, I don't know is this is all related.

Registered Member
rx785guy

[ Edited ]

I have been looking all over the web for someone having this issue.  I have exactly what the original poster describes.  It has happened to me 3 times now, all after wireless charging overnight.

Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Looks like you guys have defective units.....should get them replaced from the shop.
Contributor
McCrunch

dennisthemenace wrote:

Hi there, i have just got a Lumina 920 on t mobile, its a fantastic handset but i have one issue, if i use the wireless charging pad and leave the phone for more than 30mins i have to press and hold the unlock and volume down button. Is this likely to be a software or a hardware issue?

has anyone else had a problem?

I know it's a bit off topic but are you on T-Mobile USA/UK/other?

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

dennisthemenace wrote:

No such issues with 920 Euro version and would be more inclined to point the finger at software.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

MacMorrison

I just had mine stuck on a back screen with NOKIA in white in the middle - while charging (wired microUSB charger)
Its a non operator UK version - ie not simlocked / no operator changes
dennisthemenace

Hi thank you for all of your replies, i think i now know what the problem is.

I have the phone set to update automatically, so, i think it is this that is happening over night while it is on charge, it can go for days without doing it and then just randomly does it, infact it did it last night.

The only PITA of it all it having to to the "classic" resetting of the Time and date, as per every other Nokia i have had!

Overall I think this is a bloody damn good phone, and i am very happy with it.

it could do with a few more features (being able to customise the bluetooth name) and more settings for the camera and the display.

Advisor
TrackDaddy

It does feel like some async process is causing this.  I have had it occur on 3 or 4 occassions.  It's troubling because I am an "on call" employee and when the phone locks up I could be just going to sleep and wouldn't be able to be contacted for hours.

I spoke with an AT&T rep who suggested that it may have to do with "Background tasks".  He suggested that I uninstall Facebook and Skype and reinstall.  I did ...  It just happened again.  That wasn't the fix I was looking for.

My family owns 4 920's and mine is the only one that behaves this way.  I have my lockscreen rotate photo's from Facebook.  I'm wondering if updating th photo's is the background task that is causing me greif.

4 Nokia 920's and 1 820
Registered Member
HarryOla

I have had this same issue. Every time I leave it charging wirelessly for any length of time it black screen freezes and I need to do a soft reset. Last night I charged it with a wire and it was fine. Not changed any settings.

I note that the manual says remove it from the wireless charger when it is charged so I wonder if Nokia had anticipated this problem.
Registered Member
HarryOla

Should have added, what I really need to decide is if this is a software problem which can be fixed or if I need to go back to the shop?
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Never had this problem with my 920 and the charging plate. If you have performed a soft reset and it still is freezing, it may be a problem with the phone. Or it could be the plate. You can check by going back to your point of purchase and checkign with them on another plate, that way will isolate the problem.

Failing that, you will need to take your phone and the plate to your nearest Nokia Care point for them to inspect: http://nokia.com/support
Registered Member
HarryOla

Thanks for the help. Since I charged it with a wire first time, the wireless charger seems to be working better! Not sure if it is related, but since my first wired charge I have not had any freezes and the wireless charger is switching off when the phone reaches maximum.
Advisor
TrackDaddy

own 4 charging plates and one charging stand. It has caused this behavior on at leatst 3 of the chargers. Happened again this morning.

woke up and rook the phone if the charger and it wouldn't wake up. Had to soft reset to get it to turn on.

4 Nokia 920's and 1 820
marco_plm

I've the same problem, i'm from italy and have this issue after tap to send switch-off

Registered Member
dvanwig

I have the same problem...everytime I charge the phone with the charging plate, the phone freezes with a black screen.  I have to do a soft reset to turn the phone back on.  This never happened when charging the phone with the cord.  I hope the Nokia technicians find out what causes this irritating problem and offer an update to fix it.

Contributor
Gregor99

My 920 did this as soon as the wireless charging base arrived.  A reset (wipe and restart) didn't correct it.  The carrier replaced the phone and now its all good. 

dennisthemenace

Well its not what i thougt it was and obviously a phone fault. its perfectly fine charged off the cable.

Time to contact nokia then....

martinthephilip

My Lumia 820 didn't turn on this morning after being on my wireless charger overnight. It's done this a couple of times and is really annoying. Makes me not want to use the wireless charger! Does anyone know if it does the same with a standard charger? I switched it on by removing the battery and putting it back in. Can I do a soft rest on an 820? If so, how?

Again, I do like this phone but it doesn't seem like it has been fully tested before going on sale. I also can't get music on my phone or microSD cards to work! Nokia have informed me that an OTA software update is fixing the sd card problem.

Still feel like I'm beta testing the device for Nokia.