Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

lumia 928 touch screen freeze/unresponsive

Contributor
hayesi
Accepted Solution

lumia 928 touch screen freeze/unresponsive

hello,i am a supper fans of nokia
i use CDMA network , but in my country ,no lumia phone support CDMA
so i have to buy an unlocked lumia 928 from USA (in order to use CDMA + LUMIA + WP8 , I love nokia )
i received the lumia 928 last weeks ,and used some days ,very good,my dream phone.
but unfortunately,today , the screen suddenly unresponsive, was freeze (full screen )
only the volume ,power and camera key worked
and i have tried to soft and hard reset , still same ,the screen not worked.

and next ,i install the nokia care suite ,and run self-test
found 2 test failed :
Touch interface self test failed
Touch internal self test failed

i am crying now
could tell me ,it is software problem or hardware problem ?

if software problem ,could tell me how to solve it
if hardware problem ,could tell me how to get warranty ,cause i am not USA
it had spent almost 1 month's my salary to get my dream phone:lumia 928
so how should i do ?can i send the phone to USA service department to get the warranty dirrectly ,because i don't have any friend or any person i know in USA

thanks a lot ,by hayesi ,from China
by the way ,why ,why i can not buy nokia lumia phone that support CDMA in China
most of my friends are Nokia's fans ,could you tell us ,why ?
we love NOKIA

Registered Member
carolyn0219

Re: lumia 928 touch screen freeze/unresponsive

[ Edited ]

I am another customer (in the U.S.) and just had the same problem.  I found the following solution and it worked.  Click the power button to light up the screen.  Then hold volume down and the power button at the same time for 15 seconds.  That worked for me.  I got the tip from the Nokia site here: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA141447

Carolyn

Community admin note: Link updated to reflect changes in the Nokia web site.

Contributor
hayesi

thanks for your reply 

yes ,i have tried this way ,but still not worked 

i am doubt the screen or related hardware was damage ?

Contributor
hayesi

i am very happy
today my screen finally works again :
the phone was power on without charger, wait and wait ,the batter was low and power off auto,
then i used original charger to charger the power for my phone ,
some minutes passed ,the phone was power on auto ,
then i try the screeen again ,
surprised, the screen worked well
thanks god ,thanks nokia .

i think ,this problem was caused by the charger ,because i had used another charger .

if the phone was not built in battery ,i think i can take out the battery to try ,so i can solved my problem quickly .
but for this model phone ,can not take out the battery .

i have a suggestion for the nokia
why design a key to cut down the power supply ?
like a reset key .
will be more good for customer.

Registered Member
dgjames

Thanks!  That did the trick for me too!

Registered Member
PDas

Thank you for your message. Your tip worked for me! It is curious that this problem occured for the first time for me only recently and after the recent Microsoft software update too.

Registered Member
davidsking0325

I just read your post and it worked perfectly for me thx. I was at my wits end.:smileyhappy:

Registered Member
rmfb

This happened to me on a brand new phone, right after updating and restarting. The volume down/power trick worked, which they call a soft reset, but I'm guessing resetting it to factory settings (hard reset) would take care of the problem. Maybe something in the update messes with the touch interface....
Registered Member
amarwadi

Thank you for this tip! I ran into this issue this morning. Hopefully someone at Nokia is taking notes. I love the phone, but the issues as of late have been pushing me to find an alternative.
Registered Member
sideshowtodd

Yeah that works, but we shouldn't have to reset the phone like this. I was trying to show off how awesome our phone is to the iPhone crowd at my work and right in the middle of my demo to two people, the screen stops responding. That was a huge embarrasment to myself and Nokia, especially since I didn't know the hard reset combo at the time...basically it turned into a brick and everyone walked away. Those people will never switch over now. This is even more annoying because three of us have this phone in my house and we're having to do this reset to one of the phones each week. It makes me want to go back to my HTC Trophy. I never had any hardware troubles with HTC.

Registered Member
shellbell

Thank you so much!  I just got this phone, and it's actually my first Smartphone.  I was so scared.  It came back immediately.  Do other Smartphones have this issue too?  My basic phone would occasionally need resetting and I would just take the battery out for a moment and put it back in.  Since this phone's battery cannot come out under normal circumstances, I'm really glad I now know how to reset.

carolyn0219 wrote:

I am another customer (in the U.S.) and just had the same problem.  I found the following solution and it worked.  Click the power button to light up the screen.  Then hold volume down and the power button at the same time for 15 seconds.  That worked for me.  I got the tip from the Nokia site here: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA141447

Carolyn

Community admin note: Link updated to reflect changes in the Nokia web site.

Registered Member
TheDoctor99

For some reason when I use a different charger other than the charger that the Lumia 928 came with, it makes my phone act weird during charging and then my touch screen doesn't work. But when I used my original charger it worked.
Registered Member
ljt1227

I could not agree more -- it is unacceptable to have to REBOOT my phone every so often because the screen freezes.  Nokia/Microsoft -- YOU NEED TO FIX THIS.  I've had this phone for about 6 months, and did not start seeing this happen until recently so I believe it is tied to a recent update of some type.  This is a super phone platform that is being DAMAGED by a dumb sw glitch.

Registered Member
ljt1227

Agreed, we should NOT have to reboot the phone! Nokia/Microsoft PLEASE get this fixed.
Registered Member
rocklita1954

thanks so much for info.  it worked !!!!!!  power button and volume down. 

Registered Member
ieduc8m

I have had a freeze happen to me twice and I just bought my phone less than 2 months ago. The first time, I tried pressing everything and multiple things for more than 10-15 seconds, stuck something to reset it in that little hole, put it on the charger to jolt it but nothing worked. I was convinced that I would just have to wait for it to unfreeze itself and finally it did the first time after about 20-30 minutes. A little while ago was the second time it happened and again I tried everything I did before when it happened the first time. So, I decided to Google troubleshooting tips on my ipad. Carolyn's advice worked great!!! Volume down and power button at the same time for 15 seconds. Worked like a charm! Thanks!!!!

Registered Member
SimpliiD

Why are there no responses from Nokia to this thread? I got my father a Nokia Lumia 928 for Verizon (US). It has he is exchanging his today, this will be his 4th Lumia 928. Where has the quality gone?

Registered Member
linusdl

The soft reset doesn't work... (Power button and low volume keys pressed for 50 sec).

I have not tried the hard reboot ...  afraid of recovering all what I had there

Registered Member
jay214

For me none of the restart or Nokia's recovery software worked for me. I've did the backup thing and unfortunitly it's useless when my phone won't let me in. I'll take my phone up to verizon and if they can't help then I'm going back to my flip phone and I won't get to enjoy the new update that windows had for their windows phones carriers. Next time i'll get that insurence for my next smartphone.

Registered Member
jay214

Well I had to go back to my old phone because of this problem, so unfair that I didn't get to experience the new update, not sure I'll go back to windows phone again or anytime soon, I will use my nokia lumia 928 as a camera since I can still access that and get out the pictures from my computer. I didn't see that other solution till now I'll try and see if it works but I won't go back again now that I'm on my old phone. I'll post again later to see how it goes with the other solution I read.