Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

no optimisation for notification tone

Advisor
divyanshu_logi

no optimisation for notification tone

Well, Lumia 800 is troubling me since the day I bought it. Here's a new one. My mate recently got a windows phone and he and I had the same notification tone for whatsapp or any other third party app. I getting confused by it tried to change my notification tone but to my surprise, there was no such optimisation option which could have let me change my notification tone for third party apps.
:/
Moreover, while I'm on a call and if I receive a notification, my phone sounds loud irritating the hell out of me.
There is no option to disable in-call notification sound. All you have is to completely disable the notification sound.
I don't know why Nokia is making fool of us by not providing any optimisation option. First they reduced the volume with 7.8 update and now this.
DUMPING LUMIA 800.
Its sad.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: no optimisation for notification tone

Nokia makes the hardware, and Microsoft provides the software. Your comments should be directed to Microsoft using the link below.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Counsellor
heulaup

Nokia sells the phone so they should be responsible for any deficiencies. Pushing os complaints off to Microsoft is not taking responsibility for their product. It is like selling a cake and telling the customer if the ingredients are not fresh go and complain to my supplier. It is Nokia which should gather user feedback and take up the issue with Microsft.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

How wrong you are. You purchased the phone from a retiler who sold you a phone with Nokia hardware and Microsoft software. If you purchase a pc with Microsoft Windows 8 OS on it, you contact Microsoft if you have issues with the OS. The Lumia was sold as a Windowsphones. The issues you mentioned are known OS limitations. So nothing new there. If you had done your homework, you will know tt's the way it is due to design core limitations. At te end of the day if you still want to, you can contact Microsoft using the link I gave you earlier.

Advisor
divyanshu_logi

Thanks for the link cjlim.
I certainly will post these issues on Microsoft forums.
I want to let them know why actually they are a big flop when it comes to windows phone.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ cjlim

When I brought my PC I had the choose as to whos software I use I did not with the phone. if I choose the OS then yes I would take my complaints to them. I guess when you have a fault with the software in you car you take it to the softare supplier do you?

Nokia phone and they choose the software so Nokias problem to sort out.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you dont like the Microsoft Windowsphone OS then dont buy the Lumia. You can always buy an Asha, or indeed an iPhone or Samsung. 

When you buy a pc you don't always get a choice of sofware. Most pc's and laptops have their OS's pre-installed. It is usually a case of Window 8 or Windows 8. 

Quite right. When you buy something from a store bring it back to the store if you have a problem. In this case send it back to the phone retailer. This is a user to user forum. You wont get an nswer here. Just use the Microsoft link and next time check the specs before you buy.

Sage
MrOddJob

@ cjlim

So ok you expect everyone to spend hours in a store checking every little detail on a phone before they buy, just how many stores are going to let you do that?

I brought my phone on release day so no way to do much checking except what other lucky people who got a hands on look at the phone before release day had to say.

As for not having a choose on PC software I agree most store preinstall windows but that does not mean you have to buy it with windows, you can still buy with out software and install your own.

I personal expected the latest smart phone to be an upgrade to my previous smart phone but the windows OS has lots of little problems like no customizable alert tones to name but one, and for me its been all the little things that have spoiled the phone for me and my next phone will not be a windows phone.

They seem to have spent lots of time getting the big showy apps on the phone which is nice but forgot to get the basics right.

Also a little pointless telling someone if they don’t like it don’t buy it has most folks on this forum have obviously already brought it and most likely have a 12 months or more contract before they can change it.

Personally was just pointing out that I believe Nokia is responsible for the short comings in the phone as they seem to have decided to use MS OS so tell Nokia to sort MS out as they will also lose sales on phones just as much as MS will lose users of there software

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

While I would agree that having these customisations would be good to have I would like to suggest that it just might be that the majority of people does not really care much about this beyond maybe a custom ringtone.

If you look around you and pay attention you'll notice that in general people use the default tones for notifications and even ringtones. So to say this is a crucial and show stopping issue would be an overstatement at least.

Personally I could not care less about the alert tone, but would like it if I could set the number of vibrations I get on messages or other notifications so I know what's incoming when the phone is in my pocket..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Sage
MrOddJob

@ paulheu

I agree there not earth shattering problems and as you say most people don’t have an issue with this particular one but I do myself as I work in a generally noisy environments and now miss many many sms and email messages and I have to regularly get the phone out to check if I've missed anything, here again a small issue nothing on screen to tell you if you’ve missed something with out pressing a key. As I said in my previous post not big issues but they have become very annoying to the point the windows phone option for me is now a no no. Just to qualify I never had any issues with these features on my previous phone could clearly here the costumer alerts I was using in most situations and a quick look at the phone showed if I'd had missed something with out having to press any keys.

I will keep an eye on this forum and press to see if the phone matures into the phone I

thought I was buying, I will taking a new contract on a different phone in the next few months so maybe in the next couple of years I might come back.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You can bark up the wrong tree all night if it makes you feel better. Just don't get too disappointed when nothing happens expect maybe an irate neighbour throwing a rock at you. 

Professor
caitlin1759

I don't think the poster MrOddJob is expecting anything to happen. He expressed his views politely. He was a customer well disposed to Nokia but disappointed by the limitations of Windows OS. Nokia might regain him as a customer.

I'm sure even if they don't make it known Nokia's marketing department will be keeping an eye on these forums. Windows OS market share is still minute compared to iPhone and Android. Nokia needs to know what puts people off Lumia as much, possibly even more, as why the fanboys love it.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ cjlim

If no one post their problems and issues with the phone on this forum then nothing will ever happen, if they dont know it'sbroke then their are not even going to know it needs fixing now are they. As for my neighbors they are very nice poeple and would never fall so sort as to throw bricks at my windows and if that all you can say to poeple on this forum when you dont like their views then you might do best not to read the posts would help keep you blood pressure down, I'm pleased your enjoying you phone but some poeple are not and trying to find work arounds on this forum and letting Nokia know that maybe they should look into it. thats all from me tonight wishing you all well.

@ caitlin

Nice to hear there are other sensible people on the forum.

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

These forums are way to subjective and filled with personal and misrepresented ideas and fact to be of any interest to a mrketing department. That said, this functionality is part of the OS and as such under the responsibility of MSFT.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Some people are just too stubborn to take good advice or perhaps they have nothing better to do with their time. Continue barking, but just not too loudly. 

The link is still above when you come to your senses. 

Counsellor
mathe226

[ Edited ]

It's all about trust.

If you have had a Nokia before and have liked it, you have trust in the Nokia brand. If there are any specific hardware features you want your phone to have, of course you check the specifications, but you expect that a newer phone in general will be a step forward. Some behaviors might be changed in a way you don't like, but in general, you trust the manufacturer not to provide you with something that in many areas are downgrade. The only serious reply from Nokia is that the Lumias are new and under development. In other words; a beta phone sold at full price.

If Windows Phone is not only the responsibility of the provider Nokia, but also Nokia's subcontractor Microsoft, then instead look at Nokia Maps for Lumia, which undoubtly is a Nokia product, but an even greater step backward.

Counsellor
pjfagulha

Just to say that the issue of reducing the volume to 7.8 did not happen with the HTC Windows Phone.

So the blame is only on Nokia.
Microsoft is not to blame.