Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: A-GPS and WiFi network positiong in N9 does no...

Sage
banlec

A-GPS and WiFi network positiong in N9 does not work.

Only GPS positiong works. Can anybody have a clue why it can be?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: A-GPS and WiFi network positiong in N9 does not work.

banlec wrote:

Only GPS positiong works. Can anybody have a clue why it can be?

Did find it easier to use Nokia LD-3W Bluetooth GPS receiver with N9!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Elephas

For me the Pinmarks.me app did not work (GPS and mobile data were "on"). It only created very few waypoints far off the track.
According to http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=DF1A78265791960E576D0D1EA489D089?fileId=yuwatwjecbrfglif&ref...  it is the same issue when you use http://opengeotracker.org/logger

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

I mean that Nokia Maps and Drive app is unable to determine location based on WiFi, mobile network and A-GPS without a signal from GPS. Did anyone have similar experience?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but i am not sure do I understand you right ... but let's try to answer: of course, Maps and Drive need GPS signal (satellite positioning) to work properly ... you have to enable device positioning of your N9 that Maps and Drive will work properly (settings - device - gps and positioning - enable device positioning) ... and to make positioning to work fast, you need also a data connection (you can see other setting in gps and positioning) ...

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

Everything is enabled. Let me rephrase it then - N9 is unable to determine phone position while indoors. My N8 can do it using the same sim card and in the same places, why N9 can't?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Elephas

Edit:  Maps and Drive did work in that situation, but Pinmarks.me did not have a continous and correct position. From the fact that this applies for opengeotracker too, I guess that the problem is related to the sytem, not to the hardware of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

Just discovered that if you open Nokia Maps you have to wait for several minutes until N9 finds the position. This is not nice since my previous N8 was able to find the position almost immediately while indoors.
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

But sometimes it cannot determine location at all. Even waiting for 10 minutes does not give any success.

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

Can someone please tell me how much time this phone needs to identify its position without GPS signal and only using GSM or known WiFi network? Assuming signal strenght is full. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
prethok

<body><p>within 100seconds GPS positioning works. but it may take more time during mist.
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

[ Edited ]

I meant something else: how much time does N9 need to identify its location while indoors, i.e. without GPS signal (only based on network or WiFi)? I notice, that its indoors location works and sometimes it does not. The issue is not connected with signal coverage or sim card because if I use N8 or E52 in the same place then both other phones can find its position immediately.

Other thing is that N9 Maps settings are spontaneously changing from Online to Offline. But switching it back to Online does not help either if the situation is that the phone cannot find its position (while indoors).

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

Maybe someone from Nokia could reply, please?

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

After update to PR 1.2 it A-GPS and WLAN based positioning still does not work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
fdfelix

I face the same problem with my nokia N8 at home position was shown, now with the Nokia N9 can only position outside the home.

Have changed the server to supl.nokia.com supl.google.com but without success.

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

Try to manually connect to internet while in Nokia Maps or Drive (tap upper part of display), if connection is established and if it still does not detect a position, exit Nokia Maps and start again while internet connection is active. I recently discovered that sometimes it helps. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

I enabled Developer Mode and set SuplForced=true in /etc/xdg/nokia/location-settings.conf. Now A-GPS works but Developer Mode should be left On. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mikhaal_6

@banlec

That doesn't make sense indeed. Because as I know - please correct if I'm wrong - the device needs to connect to leastly 3 sattlites in a linear way to identify the current position so it would be possible but quiet hard to success positioning via integrated GPS indoor.

The only and the best way to identify current position indoor is to use mobile network GPS which also connects to leastly 3 operator cells and gives you the approximate location right among the cells however it might and probably will be mistaken for a few meters, not much.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
fdfelix

The position via the GPS network helps you locate the correct position faster ...

What I realized in mine is that he is not seeking the position only by the mobile network via GPS. The option to use networking to get more active position is not seem to work.
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

@mikhaal_6

Just try it and you will be surprised about results. However, it might depend on region. A-GPS delivers information on satellites, to which postion can be fixed. CloudGPS gives you nice info on available satellites in your position.

Please use plain text.