Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: A-GPS not working on N900

A-GPS not working on N900

Hi,

I purchased a N900 here in the US.  I started using it on the AT&T network (with 2g speeds) and assisted GPS worked without any problems.

I changed to T-mobile and now A-GPS is not working.  If I swap the simcard to my old N95, A-GPS does work.  If I connected via wifi or GPRS, it does not work for my N900

Therefore, I beleive that my N900 is not receiving cell tower location data from Tmobile towers.  It can successfully from AT&T towers, so not sure what the difference is.  I don't think it's a data connection problem when contacting the location server using wifi or gprs as I can successfully perform other web functions.

Anybody have any ideas or advice on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Professor

Hi:

Did you get a new SIM when you joined t-mo? Quite a few folks have seen issues when sim hopping (swapping sim cards between devices), these have ranged from battery drain, poor reception, not switching from 2.5 to 3G...etc. 

If you have a new sim for t-mo... you need to clear out the old AT&T settings.  AT&T is a pain in the butt cuz they write a ton a setting to the device as part of provisioning.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

im useing tmobile and im haveing the same problem
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Same problem here. Tried it with a T-Mobile USA sim with 3G data enabled. Access point epc.tmobile.com.

Outdoors in clear area. GPS not connecting in Ovi maps app.

Tried an AT&t card & gps finds location in under 5 secs!

Put back t-mo card & gps worked briefly but then went out & never back again.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi

Assisted GPS network connection is independent of that used by OVI Maps, You must have an internet access point defined in the device to retrieve assistance data from the Nokia A-GPS service over a packet data connection. You can define the access point for A-GPS in network positioning settings. It only asks what connection to use the very first time GPS is used so if SIM changed you need to alter it manually.

Network positioning settings Select from the following: Enable  — Activate the network-based positioning service (including A-GPS). Location server  — Enter the location server address = "supl.nokia.com"

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.

I had the same issue.

I went to Setting -> Location and disabled network positioning restarted the device.  Enabled network positioning, restarted the device.  Now it works perfect.

Thanks,

Douglas

Please use plain text.

Hi

i had the same problem started with at&t and gps worked fine now switch to t-mobile to have 3g and gps does not work

Please use plain text.

I tried that and still doesn't work, any help?
Please use plain text.

I did a little (okay, a lot) of googling and came across this:

http://developer.t-mobile.com/loadKbaseEntry.do?solutionId=2075 

Since the N900 isn't a supported device on T-Mobile (yet?) I'm not entirely sure that we'll see GPS support in the near future.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Change supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com.

Maybe T-Mobile can't access Nokia's servers all the way out in Finland :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm also a T-Mobile customer who has been having similar problems with GPS. However, so far, this fix (changing to "supl.google.com") seems to work. The red slash through the satellite icon has disappeared. GPS location is a few blocks from where I am, but pretty good. Thanks very much for your posting.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Using the N900 for navigation is a waste of time whether is it a-GPS or normal  GPS. Of the 3 phones the 5800, N97 and the N900, GPS navigation on the N900 is the worst.  There are fewer features on the N900, the search is slow, rendering the map is slow, A-GPS inaccurate and there are no voice instructions available.  Even though I own the N900, I still use my 5800 for navigation. It is faster, easier to use, and more reliable.  One of the major problems of both the N97 and N900 is speed.  Most times even in city driving you are beyond the point where you are supposed to turn when you are  instructed visually or verbally to turn.

Please use plain text.

same with me the GPS are very bad in coparison with E71 and E75 and even N97 ,i was used them foer the klast 2 monthes consequently but at least there is arrow in the navigation you can look at or even voice assistant while you are driving ,

sorry for that i buy it and I expect it to work more efficient in navigation while I am driving 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BobSantos

I just tried the supl.google thing and it worked. Why doesn't it show a more accurate location, though? It places me about 5 blocks downtown. 

Can anyone offer an explanation? Is there a way to increase the accuracy? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Check out Maemo bugzilla.  This is being worked:  https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have T-mobile also and if you set the Location thing to supl.google.com it will work perfect for ovi maps and gps.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nV13

[ Edited ]

N900/T-Mobile: Do you need data plan for this? My wife's 5800 works super w/o data plan.

~nV!

Message Edited by nV13 on 29-Jan-2010 04:29 PM
Please use plain text.