Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: After "insufficient power" message, N9 appears...

andrew_dotdot
Accepted Solution

After "insufficient power" message, N9 appears to be charging -- is it really?

Hi,

I've got an N9 on PR1.0 (10.2011.34-1.339.01.2_PR_339). When I connect it to my car charger (2 different, actually), or my GUM plus charger, they're recognized as a computer. I just tap the "X" to dismiss the dialog, but then I get the "insufficient power to charge this device" warning.

But then, the battery icon shows the charging animation just the same. Now so far, it's only been for a quick top-up in the car. Upcoming is a longer roadtrip. Does anyone know if the phone is actually charging when this happens?

Thx,

drew

P.S. All three of these adapters will charge, for example, my power-hungry iPad. I don't think they're not providing enough current, really.

P.P.S. I've read about shorting the data pins on the charger, but I'm not so keen to try this. And I definitely don't want to try that with my GUM plus. :-O

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: After "insufficient power" message, N9 appears to be charging -- is it really?

@andrew_dotdot

Not yet tried a car charger with N9 but using a bit of lateral thinking what happens if you install Battery Usage application and see if it still gives time from last charge?http://store.ovi.com/content/138659

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
andrew_dotdot

Re: After "insufficient power" message, N9 appears to be charging -- is it really?

Hi!

Well, the Battery Usage App gives you a much better idea of what's going on, indeed.

I found that I can get the same weird behavior with the "not enough power" message with my old apple ipod charger, and at least with that unit, the batter percentage is going up... 75...76...77...78%

So what we can conclude at this point is that the unit is charging despite that it's warning that it won't. The only question then might be, is how well it's charging.

Thanks a million!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@andrew_dotdot

Just a note of caution that you may run into problems if using Navigation for any length of time, as has always been an issue with car chargers not replenishing fast enough to keep abreast of consumption with this application!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
andrew_dotdot

@aspergerguy

True dat. I did a quick comparison, and the phone trickles towards charged with the non-Nokia charger. The Nokia charger is much, much faster.

If I "short out the data pins" on a non-Nokia charger, like it says out there in the interwebs, that's not going to affect how fast it charges, is it? I know I'll avoid the screen associated with connect as sync or connect as mass storage, but will the phone charge better just because of that?

I have two car chargers, I might just have to try a little surgery on one of them and find out.

Unless someone knows off hand.

:A\>

drew

Please use plain text.