Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can N900 use MSN messenger?

Accepted Solution

Can N900 use MSN messenger?

Does anybody know, Can N900 use MSN messenger?

Thanks for your reply..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: Can N900 use MSN messenger?

Try this package:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing/dists/fremantle/install/telepathy-extras.install

Open the link in your phone's browser..

It adds support for loads of systems, MSN, AIM and others..

Please use plain text.
Advisor

there is no native Messenger application yet for n900.,

but you can add Amsn, and works as a IM client for n900. like typing sms with yor frindsd. and you can see online buddies etc. it suppose to work with webcam also.

otherwise there is also pidgin, very good msn app for n900 which has many features aswell 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I recommend against using amsn at the moment.. it installs TK and TCL onto the root file system and that eats a LOT of space.. it will almost certainly prevent you from installing the PR1.1 firmware that is due out soon.

It is also a seperate application.. the link I sent before is for "built in" support.. You can add MSN details into contacts in the address book and you can send MSN instant messages straight from the conversations application..

Please use plain text.
Advisor

aah ok. thanx for the headsup. 

i acually thought amsn was the builtin "convo"  msn.

i wont install amsn then., im still waiting for a fix for my simcard to work on n900.,

right now this beauty is just sleeping. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It is supposed to be pretty good as a stand alone app.. but it hasn't been fully "optified" yet as I understand and that just kills vital space.. It'll happen eventually, I'm sure.. but in the mean time, the plugin package just fits in quite nicely! It's like msn support was there all along!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Cool man, ill remeber that, when i get my sim card working.

i tried pidgin it was good too. lots of feature. but i think its a battery eater.

cheers 

Please use plain text.

hi mate

i tried this the 1st time & it worked perfectly (i don't really understand why support for this on the N900 wasnt availabe outta the box!).  however...i switched my fone off 4 a bit, switched it back on & it now refuses to sign me onto messenger

any ideas??

Please use plain text.
Advisor

i installed it. and also cant sign in. tehre was also a MSN haze, what is that?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

ok i signed in. now 

but how can i see my contact list? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I thought the contact list was automatically synced with your address book. If you open the contacts app, do you see the entries in there? If you open the menu buttons at the top, you can select "Groups" and it should show you an option for your MSN account?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

yah its like its having hard time loadin al my 250 msn buddies. lol. buti signed in. my frind can see me online and can write to me. but i couldnt find anywhere the list of my cntacts., i clicked group. and chose msn,. then it says no contacts.

so either "timeout" coz of big list? or somethign else. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
valantino22

I have just got the n900 and I was sooooooo crazy about the messenger thing cuz i need it a lot and u have helped me a lot thanx alot dude and if there is any thing new about the msn messenger things i hope u will write thanxs ..

Please use plain text.

I found a good application that run msn on maemo & installed it but I can't find it on the phone :smileyfrustrated:

does anyone know where does those application goes after installation ?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

its probably not an app, but rather protocols that integrate into the default im system.

go to menu, settings, voip & im accounts. tap on new, and make a new account with the protocols youve downloaded.

then connect when youre online.

go back to contacts. you can tap the bar at the top and choose groups to isolate only your msn contacts or other im contacts.

Please use plain text.
Sage
wolfsbane_25

I have a hotmail account and I wanna use msn messenger. I was able to activate google talk, yahoo, facebook chat and skype but I cant seem to enable msn. help

Please use plain text.